No exercise needed for weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    For me exercise is an important component of losing weight AT A PACE that keeps me motivated. MFP has me at a "safe" 1200 for 2lbs loss a week. Fitbit gives me barely 1000 calories for the same goal. 1200 calories "might" have me at a .5 lb loss a week if that, its really so close to maintenance for me as a sedentary person. This is NOT enough to keep me motivated. Exercise, once I'm past whatever water retention etc that might follow a new workout, actually helps me release water weight, and I see results on the scale every week that are more than .5 lb loss.

Exercise also allows room for error and/or play with the calories. I don't have to deny myself a chocolate craving, or a night out on the spur of the moment, I know I can just work off any excess calories the next day, sometimes even the same day. Last week I realized a festival we wanted to go to was the very next day. I knew it would be full of Guiness and food (most certainly a chocolate covered frozen cheesecake on a stick). It was 10:30 at night. I quickly changed my clothes and did my step aerobics for 45 minutes. Went off the the festival and had a great time the next morning. Still lost 1.5 lbs.

So, for me, exercise is a very, very important component of my weight loss.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I disagree as exercise is important for health.

That said, many people fall into the trap of "the machine said I burned 1000 calories so I can eat half a pizza for lunch", and they end up not being in a deficit, and don't lose weight.