Clothes?!

Options
I recently went through my closet and decided to throw away all things that are too small. Is this a good idea? Or should I have kept them for motivation?

#fitness
#fitbit

Replies

• ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Up to you. I lost 100 lbs after having my second child, and was smaller than I had been when I was in high school... then got pregnant with child #3. I sure as heck held on to my pre-pregancy clothes; I didn't care how long it took, but I was going to fit back into them come he** or high water. Took a year and a bit, but I did finally get back into them last month.
  • Irishsugar
    Irishsugar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I threw away all my high waisted jeans from the 90's just recently. I laughed at how long the zippers were... They could have zipped a coat!

Are the clothes still in style? Keep them... Otherwise get rid of them. I know I am going to want all new cute clothes!!
  • amclain93
    amclain93 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Ive always been about the same size, so I only have a few too small items, and I'm keeping them both for posterity and motivation. My main motivation clothing is my cheerleading uniform. It was too small on me at the last competition, so when I can wear that without sucking in or getting red marks on my tum, I'll know I've made some serious progress! (i know aiming to fit into a uniform from when i was in high school seems unrealistic/unhealthy, but i was 140 back then and someone my height is supposed to be 90-110 pounds, so it's not as weird as it sounds!)
  • Irishsugar
    Irishsugar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    amclain93 wrote: »
    Ive always been about the same size, so I only have a few too small items, and I'm keeping them both for posterity and motivation. My main motivation clothing is my cheerleading uniform. It was too small on me at the last competition, so when I can wear that without sucking in or getting red marks on my tum, I'll know I've made some serious progress! (i know aiming to fit into a uniform from when i was in high school seems unrealistic/unhealthy, but i was 140 back then and someone my height is supposed to be 90-110 pounds, so it's not as weird as it sounds!)

That is awesome and great for motivation!! Definitely worth keeping!!

• wrknonmedaily
    wrknonmedaily Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    When I first lost the weight I got rid of all my big size clothes. When I gained the weight back =( I keep my smaller size clothes and refused to get new bigger ones. Sad to say I wore yoga pants until I could get back into my smaller clothes which I must say I am back in =). They were motivation for me.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I tend to be really bad about holding on to things in general. Every once in a while I have to force myself to go through my belongings and get rid of stuff that I no longer use/need/like/fit in to. For clothes, I generally try to keep a few pieces one size down and couple pieces one size up, especially pants.

I have been a 12/14 (more towards 14 the last year) for about 4 years and it was only last year I finally gave up the last of my size 8 clothes. It was actually cathartic to me to finally let go of those old clothes even though I still liked them and wanted to be able to wear them again. It helped me accept my body the way it was at that moment, at that size, which has actually helped me stick with my weight loss journey now. I hope to be in a size ten sometime this summer and maybe an 8 by the end of the year. Then I will treat myself to all new clothes.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I think any clothes that don't fit should be donated/binned. If you want motivation to lose then go to the store and buy something new once you go down a size. Eventually some of those may be too big but they'll have served their purpose!

Holding on to clothes means you may feel obligated to wear them when you're smaller and they may be out of style or just not fit the same as you remember. Our bodies change naturally when we age and they change after gaining and losing weight so pants that fit at one weight five years ago may not fit the same now even if you're the same weight.