Hi from Iowa

Options
musicfan68
musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
I've been using MFP off and on for about 3 years now. I started again about a month ago so I can focus on losing weight again.

I am physically disabled - I walk on crutches due to a birth defect. I've struggled with my weight since I was a teenager. About 8 years ago, I decided to join a gym and started lifting weights. I didn't lose any weight, so about 6 months later, I started walking at my local high school, around their track. That first summer I lost 2 pant sizes by just walking - I didn't alter my diet at all at that point. The next summer I lost 3 more. I started out at a size 18, now a size 8. I have maintained this size/weight for the last 5-6 years without watching what I eat, except for about a 1 year period of time when I was sick. It turned out I had a 16lb ovarian cyst that almost killed me - I ended up in the hospital with renal failure and sepsis. That ended up being a 6 week hospital stay and a couple of surgeries. It took me forever to get my strength back to walk again.

Last July, I decided to join a medically oriented gym to get my legs stronger again. Working with a trainer that alters my workouts every few months has helped tremendously. I am now stronger than before I got sick, and now I'm focusing on losing weight. I lost 30 lbs after having surgery, and losing a lot of water weight from excess fluid I was retaining, then I've lost about 5 more since surgery a year ago.

It's a little harder for me for a few reasons. Obviously with my disability, there are a lot of things I can't do, so I have to work harder at the things I can do. I also find it almost impossible to weigh myself on a regular scale - even a hospital platform scale is difficult because my weight shifts and it varies the weight. The only way I can accurately weigh is on a hospital bed. The last time I was weighed, I was 155. I'd like to get down to about 125. I'm about 5' tall. I basically go by my size as far as weightloss goals. I'd like to be a size 2-4 eventually.

So, I've been tracking my food again, and seeing areas I need to improve on. I'm getting much better at it though. Is there anyone else out there that has a physical disability trying to stay healthy and lose weight?

Replies

• Godsgirl42
    Godsgirl42 Posts: 3,490 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I'm so proud of you for working hard and losing weight!! I'm disabled as well...I used to be in a power chair until November of 2011 when I got a knee replacement. I can walk now but not as well as a normal person. So I walk a little slower on the treadmill, and I can't lift weights very much because I have severe Rheumatoid Arthritis. We have a little group and you're welcome to join if you'd like! We encourage, motivate, support, and challenge each other. If you're interested you can look for us in the groups, we're called Losin' it!! or you can friend me and I'll send you an invitation. Have a blessed day!