Signed up for a color run

Options
I'm not a runner, though I've walk/run a few events years ago.

So this morning, I went insane and signed up for a color run. I even ordered a shirt in a size smaller.

I have until July to get ready for it. I want to try and run the whole thing.... again.. not a runner.

I downloaded a C25k app on my phone and plan to take it slow.

There's my spring/summer motivation to stay on track :)

Replies

• Morglez
    Morglez Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Those look like they are so much fun! Once I get to a point where I can even think of running, I would love to go to one! Good luck to you!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Great fun! Bring yourself some swimmers goggles.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to do one for ages, they look like a blast! I'm told they're a good beginner run too, because they're so packed you can't be expected to run fast :)
  • missionYCO
    missionYCO Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I did one a year or two ago! It was pretty fun, and you don't have to worry about running the entire thing. The one I went to had a 'walking side' and a 'running side'. I switched back and forth as I needed. Also what Alatariel75 says is true. They are rather packed, making fast running near impossible.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I've done a couple - they are indeed a ton of fun, and there are PLENTY of folks who walk it. As a matter of fact, my men and I are going to one in May, and we'll be walking it, since my husband can't run. :)

Congrats on taking the steps. You've got this!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to do one for ages, they look like a blast! I'm told they're a good beginner run too, because they're so packed you can't be expected to run fast :)

You're welcome :p
  • Alatariel75
    Options

Ooooohhhh.... I would totally be on track to be able to do that!!! Thank you!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

I've been wanting to do it, but none of my friends want to run with me :'(
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Morglez wrote: »
    Those look like they are so much fun! Once I get to a point where I can even think of running, I would love to go to one! Good luck to you!

Thanks! I'll need it! :)
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Great fun! Bring yourself some swimmers goggles.

Great suggestion! I wouldn't have thought of the goggles.

Slow pack is gooooood!
    missionYCO wrote: »
    I did one a year or two ago! It was pretty fun, and you don't have to worry about running the entire thing. The one I went to had a 'walking side' and a 'running side'. I switched back and forth as I needed. Also what Alatariel75 says is true. They are rather packed, making fast running near impossible.

they do mention the running and walking side. It's my personal goal to try and run the whole thing, even if I'm so slow I get lapped by walkers :)
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    Congrats on taking the steps. You've got this!

Thank you :)
  • Alatariel75
    Options

I've been wanting to do it, but none of my friends want to run with me :'(

Aw, I'd run with you!!
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I did a colour run last year, it was so much fun! Be warned though, the yellow and green colours stain your skin so I ended up looking jaundiced for a few days after lol
  • Cristinahart
    Cristinahart Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks to this post, I will sign up for the colour run, is for June 18. I am exited to start training again. I hope I can convince my husband to come with me, but if not I don't mind going on my own. :)
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ive done one. They are SO MUCH FUN! I ran a little and walked a little. As long as you are moving!! congrats and good luck
  • bbop10
    bbop10 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, though I've walk/run a few events years ago.

So this morning, I went insane and signed up for a color run. I even ordered a shirt in a size smaller.

I have until July to get ready for it. I want to try and run the whole thing.... again.. not a runner.

I downloaded a C25k app on my phone and plan to take it slow.

There's my spring/summer motivation to stay on track :)

I joined the run too, it's April 16th. I'm super excited and will try to run the whole thing. I'm a lot better running on the treadmill versus outside. I need to work on that. Thankfully the Color Run isn't competitive at all and you can walk or run. It's sounds like so much fun. Good luck!!

• shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I did a night color run and it was a blast!
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    Options
    shinycrazy wrote: »
    I did a night color run and it was a blast!

this one starts at 6pm, so looks like I'll be doing the night version, too.. I wonder if they'll use glow in the dark colors! :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I guess I am the only dissenting vote. First of all, at these events, they spray you with color which not only is unhealthy, it's messy. If you inhale it, it's definitely unhealthy.

2ndly, why do you need to compete and possibly hurt yourself? Working out is for a lifetime, not for a medal or a colorful shirt.

I don't participate in these things. I don't believe in them. It's not a charity event, right? You're paying for a service. You don't need it.

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    My advice to first time runners is....

Remember to take it slow. Especially if you don't want to walk. Jog don't run. You should be able to carry on a conversation without gasping for breath. Also, running isn't some amazing calorie burning sensation. You will probably be hungrier when you first start and need to keep a closer eye on your eating. You won't start to burn more than you would by just walking for a while.

That said, if you start to enjoy it it's a blast! Enjoy the journey!
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    Options
    I guess I am the only dissenting vote. First of all, at these events, they spray you with color which not only is unhealthy, it's messy. If you inhale it, it's definitely unhealthy.

2ndly, why do you need to compete and possibly hurt yourself? Working out is for a lifetime, not for a medal or a colorful shirt.

I don't participate in these things. I don't believe in them. It's not a charity event, right? You're paying for a service. You don't need it.

That's fine and I totally respect your opinion. I use things like this as a goal. I'm not in it to compete against anyone but myself. My goal is to run all (or as much as I'm able) (jog, run.. whatever you want to call my snail's pace) Events like this can be fun - WAY more fun to me then plodding by myself all the time.

I like bling and shirts and crossing a finish line - in no matter what place I may rank overall.
    My advice to first time runners is....

Remember to take it slow. Especially if you don't want to walk. Jog don't run. You should be able to carry on a conversation without gasping for breath. Also, running isn't some amazing calorie burning sensation. You will probably be hungrier when you first start and need to keep a closer eye on your eating. You won't start to burn more than you would by just walking for a while.

That said, if you start to enjoy it it's a blast! Enjoy the journey!

Thanks @blues4miles I'll definitely be taking it slow, most likely slower than the c25k program goes. I want to be sure I don't hurt myself. The longest I've run at once is about 1.5 miles (I think I was lapped by a 90 year old using a walker ;) ) It's more for the fitness than the calorie burning for me.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Nice one be patient and stick with your plan and your vision! Don't let anyone tell you that it's impossible!

Those who say they CAN and those who say they CANT are both usually right. So which one are you ;);)