Stopping exercise calories adding onto daily calories

Options
lisabobczuk
lisabobczuk Posts: 115 Member
Hi. Can someone help me.
How do I stop my exercise calories adding onto my daily calories.
I just want to see the countdown of what I've eaten and what's left.
Thanks

Replies

• pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Log the activity, but put in 1 for calories burned. This will stop the site/app from adjusting your macros and calories.
  • lisabobczuk
    Options
    Thank you.
    I use my phone to log how many steps I take a day and that automatically adds the calories onto my calories left.
    I guess I'll have to stop using my phone to log steps taken?
  • RhondaDesiree120
    RhondaDesiree120 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    How do I reset my daily calories ?
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You're meant to eat those calories.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Eating exercise calories will help prevent fatigue later, regardless of whether your body's sense of hunger is still in line with your actual needs or not. That being said, there are good reasons to log separately including that calculating macros as percentages of daily calorie use will yield unusable numbers when the total gets high enough. Just pop the exercise in your daily notes.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
    I use my phone to log how many steps I take a day and that automatically adds the calories onto my calories left.
    I guess I'll have to stop using my phone to log steps taken?

You have your step count synced to MFP. Un-sync it.
  • lisabobczuk
    Options
    Thankyou for your help.
    That's what I've done, I've un sync my phone to it. :-)
  • lisabobczuk
    Options
    I didn't think you are supposed to eat your exercise calories? Would I still lose the weight?
    Sorry for sounding so dumb!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    A lot of people eat back a percentage of their exercise calories - anywhere from 25-75%.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I didn't think you are supposed to eat your exercise calories? Would I still lose the weight?
    Sorry for sounding so dumb!

From the MFP Help pages...
    When you create your profile, we ask you for your age, height, weight, gender, and normal daily activity level. We use these factors to determine the calories required to maintain your current weight. We also ask how much weight you would like to lose or gain per week, and with this goal in mind we subtract calories (for weight loss) or add calories (for weight gain) to determine your daily calorie and nutrient goals.

We also ask you for your weekly exercise goals (which should not be included in your initial activity level), in order to provide an incentive for you to reach. However, we do not account for additional exercise outside of your reported daily activity level, until you actually perform and log exercise to your diary under the "Cardiovascular" section.

Reference:
    https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/410332-how-does-myfitnesspal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
  • lisabobczuk
    Options
    I see. I've done everything that is asked and it's all worked out.
    But any extra I do, I don't want to eat them if you know what I mean.
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat back more than 50% of my exercise calories. Part of only eating back a portion is because getting an accurate reading for actual calories burned is not exact. Also, I am out to lose weight. The few hundred extra CICO for the day is a boon. Also, I try to "eat back" my calories immediately after my workout session, an easy to digest protein is key. So if I walk during lunch, I make a protein drink the first thing I consume when I get back.
  • spmcavoy1
    spmcavoy1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I only log a portion of my exercise calories (currently 1/3, I had success on 2/3, but need a kick start) because I'd rather underestimate my calorie burn JIC I over estimate my food intake (I don't measure/weigh my food). Depending on your activity settings and additional activity, you should eat back some of those calories.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Just FYI that is one of the features you get with premium membership. You can adjust your account settings so that it doesn't automatically add exercise calories. This way you can keep logging your exercise and feel motivated by the calories burned on your feed without it affect your calorie goal.
  • lisabobczuk
    Options
    I'm finding all your info so interesting and I really appreciate you taking the time out to answer my question!
    I'm in the early stages of this and really learning how it all works! :-)
  • robindea
    robindea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I walk daily and it syncs back to the app but I don't want it to add the calories back to my daily calories. Is there not something in Settings that I could change this?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    robindea wrote: »
    I walk daily and it syncs back to the app but I don't want it to add the calories back to my daily calories. Is there not something in Settings that I could change this?

Just undo whatever you did to link whatever step counter you're using to MFP.