Heart Rate for Weight Loss?

Options
How do you determine the best heart rate zone for weight loss? I have a heart rate monitor to monitor it but now sure where I should be and If I need to alter my workouts.

Replies

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    My understanding is there's no particular best heart rate zone for wt loss. It still comes to the amount of calories burnt which is related to the duration and intensity of your work out. The longer, higher intensity the better.

From webmd:
    TRUE OR FALSE: Moderate exercise promotes weight loss more effectively than vigorous exercise.

FALSE. Weight loss is a matter of simple arithmetic: To shed pounds, you must burn more calories than you consume. And when it comes to burning calories, the greater the exertion, the greater the rate at which calories are burned.

Working out at about 60% to 75% of your maximum heart rate (the so-called "fat-burning zone") burns fewer calories than working out at 75% to 85% of your maximum heart rate (the so-called "aerobic" or "cardio" zone).

But caloric burn depends on a workout's duration as well as its intensity -- and it's easier to work out longer when exercising at a lower intensity.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Fat oxidation during exercise is higher at moderate heart rates, at high heart rates the expenditure is more or totally carbohydrate based. What happens over a day or a week depends how you respond to exercise and what you're eating.