Options
13»

Replies

• gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    flrancho wrote: »
    At 29 I've never had a boyfriend and I've only ever been asked out twice in my life. Guys were just never into me. This weight loss was supposed to be my fix for being healthy and becoming more attractive. Now I wonder if I'm ever going to find anyone that wants me, even being skinny, because of having all this saggy, loose skin.

I had this fear when I was losing weight after a divorce, and I want to assure you that for the most part, it doesn't turn out to be as big of a deal as you might fear. I've dated two guys since I've lost weight, and neither had anything to say about loose skin at all.

I don't know if that helps, but I hope it does. :)
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I've lost 78# and look like the saggy, baggy elephant. I've only been at maintenance for a month and plan to give myself a full year to see if anything tightens up. If it doesn't I'm hoping that I will have achieved some level of acceptance.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    neohdiver wrote: »
    I lost 60 lbs in about 9 months, which was a 1/3 of my body weight. I had loose skin on stomach, thighs, arms, neck etc. Nothing too significant but it was noticeable. Except for my stomach, which is still a bit loose but from having my daughter years ago, it all tightened up by itself. I didn't do anything special, just kinda average workouts, no creams or potions. I didn't even notice the saggy skin had gone, until my husband pointed it out. My advice is to wait for at least a year, then reassess. The body can be pretty amazing without any help.

I agree.

I have, unfortunately, lost 60+ lbs twice - hoping the 3rd time will be the charm. Both prior times my skin shrunk back on its own - and it shows every sign of doing so again this time (at age 59). I suspect it has more to do with skin genetics and amount lost than it does with age, speed of weight loss, exercise, or any other controllable factor

(FWIW, I lose weight very quickly - this time 44 lbs in 5 months, and kept the weight off 5 and 3 years, respectively. My skin shrunk pretty much simultaneously with the weight loss.)

I lost 75 pounds over three to four years when I was age 56 to 60.

It left no sagging or loose skin. Also I neve got stretch marks from my two pregnancies where I weighed about the same as my start weight for that post menopause weight loss.

So I agree it has a lot to do with genetics of the skin strength. Also maybe the longer time losing contributed to the lack of skin hanging?

I had four big babies. Skin bounced back great after 1 & 2 in my 20's and #3 when I was 36 but it wasn't willing to bounce after #4. It's not awful, pretty sure I wouldn't get tummy tucked even if the funds weren't an issue, but it isn't back where it was after the other three. I think it's more like a rubberband - it has its natural bounce and you can definitely have 'good skin' or 'bad skin' in terms of elasticity, but repeated overstretching can overextend its capacity to return.
  • Onhowtobelovely
    Onhowtobelovely Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had a circumferential abdominoplasty after losing about 150 lbs. There was honestly nothing that would have shrunk my skin. The skin and tissue my surgeon removed weighed 10 lbs. I paid for it. Some insurances will pay for a portion of the work if you have back pain or frequent infections, the key is documentation. I didn't have any of these issues. My BCBS gold plan would have paid for a panniculectomy which would have been a minor part of the procedure that was done. Mine was around $15000 by a board certified, top ten in my state surgeon. I still have loose skin on my upper back and chest and arms and thighs and my mons. I think that building muscle in some of these areas will help fill the skin, so to speak, like having some muscle mass will make the skin look less saggy.

I have decided to only get more surgery on the areas that impact my quality of life. The mons skin is an issue. The rest I can deal with. I had to get over the fact that I wasn't going to ever look perfect like all of the fitness girls I follow on instagram. I did a lot to my body and to see how it has bounced back and is performing now I am extremely grateful for. I would recommend being super stable at your goal weight before going under the knife. I wasn't and I wish I would have waited longer. People also commented a ton on my body afterward and that made me very self conscious and uncomfortable and believe me I was doing nothing to call attention to myself, I mean I had to wear sweatpants and yoga pants with a binder for like 6 weeks. If you're going to do it get many opinions. The doctor I went with was not the only doctor I consulted with.

Hope this helps. I'm not trying to brag about my surgeon (he is wonderful though) I just want to give as many facts as possible for people thinking about having surgery.