What am I doing wrong?

Txgal555
Txgal555 Posts: 76 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I have started this journey in 18th Jan 2016. Was losing weight slowly than I used to be in my 20ish but I kept going consistently. 2 weeks ago I went out of the track and ate heavy dinner. Next day I weighed my self to find iam 4 pound up. I lost 2 pound after 2 days. After that the number doesn't change a bit.
It's been almost 12 days with no change.

I feel its too early to have plataeu that's why iam sure iam doing something wrong.

I eat 1200 aday
I walk 30 min
Iam 31 y old
SW 110.9
Cw 106.6

I need any advice, please.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,370 Member
    How tall are you and what is your goal weight?
  • Txgal555
    How tall are you and what is your goal weight?

Gw 65 kg
  • CarlaTate248
    CarlaTate248 Posts: 3 Member
    Just a few ideas...drink lots of water, cut out diet sodas, make sure you are not eating a lot of processed foods or sugar and your 1200 calories are more from whole foods, get enough sleep (6-8 hours a night).

You don't say if your weight is pounds or kilos. If it's pounds, maybe you don't need to lose much?
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,370 Member
    edited March 2016
    Okay so the start and current weight are in in kilos not pounds then.

Barring any medical issues it is likely that you are eating more than you think you are.

That said 1200 wouldn't be sufficient for someone at your current weight (assuming that the current weight is in kilos), even with wieght loss factored in.

Make sure you are measuring and weighing everything, do not rely on generic weights or serving sizes.

It would be beneficial if you opened up your food diary, you will get tailored suggestions based on you are eating/how you are currently logging food.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    At 1200 calories you should be losing. Make sure you are counting accurately. I lose consistently on 1200 to 1300 losing 2 pounds per week. Also watch salt intake. I never add salt. I can easily be up 3 pounds by water retention. If your thyroid is low, this can slow things down also. You've come to the right place seeking advice here. There will be many who will give you solid advice. The stall is confusing for you I'm sure. Your body may need higher calories to avoid starvation mode. Each body is unique. Also experts suggest eating small amounts during the day to keep your metabolism stimulated.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    You are experiencing short term scale fluctuations. Fat loss is a long process that should be viewed as trends, not isolated daily scale numbers over such a short time frame as 12 days.
    Just a few ideas...drink lots of water, cut out diet sodas, make sure you are not eating a lot of processed foods or sugar and your 1200 calories are more from whole foods, get enough sleep (6-8 hours a night).

Completely false.

You don't have to drink 'lots' of water.
    You don't have to cut out diet soda
    You don't have to cut out 'processed foods'.
    You don't have to cut out sugar.
    You don't have to eat whole foods.

You have to consume a dietary intake that creates a calorie deficit over a sustained period of time.

Everything else is personal preference.
  • Txgal555

You don't say if your weight is pounds or kilos. If it's pounds, maybe you don't need to lose much?

Sorry forgot to mention that. My weight is on kg scale.
    I cut all my soda and juice 7 years ago. I weight my portion on kitchen scale. I sleep around 7 h daily and I think I do fine with water !
  • Txgal555
    Okay so the start and current weight are in in kilos not pounds then.

Barring any medical issues it is likely that you are eating more than you think you are.

That said 1200 wouldn't be sufficient for someone at your current weight (assuming that the current weight is in kilos), even with wieght loss factored in.

Make sure you are measuring and weighing everything, do not rely on generic weights or serving sizes.

It would be beneficial if you opened up your food diary, you will get tailored suggestions based on you are eating/how you are currently logging food.

My BMR is around 1800 so I decided to go for 500 calories deficit.

I will open up my food diary. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
  • Txgal555
    At 1200 calories you should be losing. Make sure you are counting accurately. I lose consistently on 1200 to 1300 losing 2 pounds per week. Also watch salt intake. I never add salt. I can easily be up 3 pounds by water retention. If your thyroid is low, this can slow things down also. You've come to the right place seeking advice here. There will be many who will give you solid advice. The stall is confusing for you I'm sure. Your body may need higher calories to avoid starvation mode. Each body is unique. Also experts suggest eating small amounts during the day to keep your metabolism stimulated.

I have checked my thyroid few months ago and it's on normal range so I believe medically iam fine. Thank you for your suggestions I will keep it on my mind.
  • Txgal555
    edited March 2016
    cityruss wrote: »
    You are experiencing short term scale fluctuations. Fat loss is a long process that should be viewed as trends, not isolated daily scale numbers over such a short time frame as 12 days.

Completely false.

You don't have to drink 'lots' of water.
    You don't have to cut out diet soda
    You don't have to cut out 'processed foods'.
    You don't have to cut out sugar.
    You don't have to eat whole foods.

You have to consume a dietary intake that creates a calorie deficit over a sustained period of time.

Everything else is personal preference.

So i should not focus on the scale for some time and keep going. Thank you
  • guillegrana2
    guillegrana2 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2016
    I'm having the same issue... and I'm counting calories, drinking my water, exercising 5 days a week for 40 minutes at least and haven't dropped a pound in two weeks. Does anyone here know about digestive enzymes? Would they help?
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    edited March 2016
    At 97kg at 170cm (5'6") height (34 years old) I eat at around 1600cals a day and lose around 0.5kg per week. (sometimes more sometimes less, it depends on how accurate my logging is).

As our stats are roughly similar, and baring any further medical problems or conditions, 1200cals seems extremely low to me. I would be starving every night and binge eating.

Start by double checking your numbers. MFP will give you approximate numbers depending on your goal which you can then base yourself on.

After that, double check your logging. Weight solid foods on a food scale to learn what the recommended serving sizes look like (that package of M&Ms ends up having 600+ cals and is gone in 5 minutes flat :open_mouth: , whereas a serving is maybe 6 M&Ms...). Measure fluids in measuring cups (my typical cup of milk in the morning is 3dl and not 2dl as I always assumed thats an additional 60cals right there).

This post includes some extremely good resources to learn how to log and how to calculate your calorie requirements. I would have failed miserably without that guidance and after almost 2 months I'm starting to feel confident that yes, I can do this!

And don't forget to be patient and believe in yourself that you can do it. Which, all things considered, is probably the hardest part of it all.

Good luck!

• biscuitnow
    biscuitnow Posts: 141 Member
    edited March 2016
    I have a fair amount of dieting/weight loss experience by now and for me, stuff like that just happens sometimes. I had a three - week weight loss stall last month. I'm not sure what it is, but it's completely possible and not necessarily something to worry about.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    12 days is not long enough. If you're tracking diligently by weighing your food and counting every bite you have lost a lot of fat guaranteed. The scale does not always tell the real story. Water weight can fluctuate. Keep it up.
  • archanajoyce
    archanajoyce Posts: 219 Member
    I agree with Dvdgzz. Keep doing what you've been doing. I would change the intensity of my workout to see if it would help. Increase water intake slightly and see how my body responds. I'm 5 kg to goal weight, but I started at 120 kg, so I appreciate the frustration. Be kind to yourself and experiment to see what works for you. I definitely recommend changing nature or intensity of workout, track diligently and see if dietary changes can help (while keeping a calorific deficit). Over time you will find your 'healthy fit'. Good luck! I wish you lots of patience and kindness. Hugzz!
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    edited March 2016
    Your body may need higher calories to avoid starvation mode. Each body is unique. Also experts suggest eating small amounts during the day to keep your metabolism stimulated.

Starvation mode does not exist, eating less does not make the body magically store energy. The body needs energy to function. Even being in a coma will require energy, the body cannot withhold its own energy supply. The only way you're not using energy is if you're dead. Those stick thin people on those adverts who have been starving until you can see their ribs sticking out are proof that starvation mode is not a thing.

And no, eating small amounts does not keep the metabolism 'stimulated', it makes no difference how often you eat. Nobody has ever confirmed this as being necessary. You can eat one massive meal a day if you like and your metabolism will function just fine. Stop pushing bro-science on people seeking genuine help.