Resistance Bands

Options
I cannot afford a whole, at-home gym. The closest gym is 25 minutes away. I have been exercising with a stationary bike (old knee injuries) and walking outside when weather allows. I am looking to do strength training, but need something that is budget friendly for now.

1. Are resistance bands a good, budget friendly option for strength training?
2. Are they good for beginners?
3. What other budget friendly options do you suggest?

I really want to add strength training while I lose weight so I retain what muscles I have.

Replies

• mel35645
    mel35645 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly no fitness expert but I don't see why resistance bands would be a bad idea. I also think there are lots of strength training exercises you can do at home using your own body weight such as push ups, planks etc. If you don't have weights you can improvise with cans or water bottles.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I recommend mark Lauren's You are Your Own Gym (often abbreviated to YAYOG). There are books (which I have used) but I've heard that there is also an IOS app which is supposed to be good.

YAYOG is strength training but using your own body weight and some bits of household equipment (I think he recommends a pull up bar that fits into a doorway and a lot of exercises use a chair).

There are other programs - I think Convict Conditioning is highly rated among home exercisers - I've read the book but didn't follow that specific program.

Best wishes
  • lizlemon4
    lizlemon4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do the Leslie Sansone workout DVDs. She also has some videos up on YouTube. Some of her workouts incorporate training with the resistance band. Some of her dvds come with a band. You can buy most of the dvds at Walmart for $12-$15