How long before this becomes a lifestyle change?

Options
I went from a serious fat food high calorie diet to 1600 calories a day and minimal fast food. My eating has completely changed and although I feel better, it's really hard. I'm only in week 8 but feel drained from constantly thinking about food and weight loss.

The good news is I am seeing results but it's slow. The science makes sense and I'm probably losing what I should but it just seems that I've made such drastic changes I should be seeing drastic results. I know it doesn't work like that but am having a pity party today because I want this to happen faster, but don't we all!

When does this turn into a lifestyle change and not obsessive annoying calorie counting food restricting behavior that that I have to do every day?

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I have read (and practiced) the art of making or breaking habits and for me it generally takes about 3 months for it to truly stick. But everyone is different. After a while it just becomes a new routine. I think it boils down to your level of motivation for change. If you're truly ready to change, then change you will...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Geez, I'm not really sure how to answer this. I didn't start out as a calorie counter. I just started eating better (reasonable portion sizes, less junk) and lost 30 pounds doing that. I only started calorie counting once I stalled for a few weeks. I never really felt restricted because I had one day a week when I'd have dessert so I always knew that was coming up. Plus I ate/eat what to me is really tasty food so I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything.

I think it also helps to have other goals (finishing C25k, being able to do a pushup, walking up two flights of stairs without being out of breath, etc.) The calorie counting/food choices should kind of be in the background, IMO, rather than the central focus of what you're doing.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    That's a good question and personally I don't know yet. I'm only 4 weeks in, 20 lbs more to go so it's important to keep in mind that we're eating at a deficit, abnormal amount which means a struggle. I wouldn't put any stock into making THIS a permanent lifestyle change.

I'm already planning ahead. When I reach my goal weight, I'll be more conscious for a while to mentally register the general food amount/calories. After all there are only so many foods we cycle through. I'm good at observing. Plus, my fit, gym going friend shares with me that he simply eats sensibly and lets the weight fluctuate 1,2 lbs plus/minus. That means he goes into moderation mode when up a bit. He is disciplined, as am I in this kind of things.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    That's a good question and personally I don't know yet. I'm only 4 weeks in, 20 lbs more to go so it's important to keep in mind that we're eating at a deficit, abnormal amount which means a struggle. I wouldn't put any stock into making THIS a permanent lifestyle change.

I'm already planning ahead. When I reach my goal weight, I'll be more conscious for a while to mentally register the general food amount/calories. After all there are only so many foods we cycle through. I'm good at observing. Plus, my fit, gym going friend shares with me that he simply eats sensibly and lets the weight fluctuate 1,2 lbs plus/minus. That means he goes into moderation mode when up a bit. He is disciplined, as am I in this kind of things.

Awesome, this is how it is done folks. Being aware of food intake
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    What changes did you make? Did you completely cut out EVERYTHING you like to eat?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have been on here for 240 days, I really enjoy it because I see results and it works, lost 44 lbs since July 2015 by counting calories only, I also learned about balancing my meals through Macros. Just keep it up and you will soon get so used to this way of being healthy.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't think food restriction automatically becomes a lifestyle change. If you don't eat and train and live in a way you happily would want to do forever, it will be just another diet. Lasting behavioral changes are often most attainable when done in increments. 180 degrees turns are hard, and almost never necessary.

If you have a lot to lose, it will take its time, but as long as you follow the expected rate of progress, it's working as it's supposed to.
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Maybe you could choose another method than calorie counting now in the beginning? You could use the plate model or a system like the 21 day fix (buy containers for a dollar and download meal plans for free).
  • bendis2007
    bendis2007 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for a year, and it's still a struggle for me. That's great that you are seeing results!I agree with some above comments and I hope you didn't cut out EVERYTHING you like to eat. You didn't gain the weight overnight, and you won't lose it overnight.
    I made slow changes and even though my weight loss isn't as fast (31 pounds in a year) the changes I've made have been a good pace for me and I've had very few missteps.
    Definitely look into other goals you want to achieve - maybe something activity related? And maybe look around at food blogs or find a nutritionist that can help you put together some different meals and different foods that you might not have thought to use. For example I played around with different breakfasts and I discovered arugula - a new favorite leafy vegetable - I add a poached egg, 1 oz of prosciutto, 1 oz of gorgonzola, and fresh diced pepper - it's really good and something I crave every morning instead of bacon and hashbrowns.
    Because I was so in love with unhealthy food I still struggle with wanting to splurge, but the feelings have lessened over time. I still sometimes hold the box of donuts at the store for a minute, but I always put it back! Don't get discouraged - branch out of your comfort food zone and you may find that you actually prefer the lifestyle changes =)
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    My lifestyle change started day one. I didn't cut out things I liked. I just found my right size and type of food for my goal weight, ate less and moved more. My body had to get used to what my mind told it and it got in line fairly quickly.
  • LLT38
    LLT38 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I agree it varies from person to person as to how long it takes for dietary changes to become a lifestyle. If you are still feeling so restricted with your diet 8 weeks into the changes, you might be giving up too much. You gave little information in your post about your past eating habits, your current ones, how much weight you have to lose and how long you've been trying to lose weight. If you provide more info, people can respond better to your questions.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When does this turn into a lifestyle change and not obsessive annoying calorie counting food restricting behavior that that I have to do every day?

For me it helped to try and make it fun and focus on forming positive new habits.

I think it can be hard to break a habit if it's about NOT doing something, so all you focus on is the restriction. It's easier to form a new habit that replaces the old.

This is one reason why I think focusing on healthful eating or cooking or some such (if you are someone who can find that fun) often is easier for many of us than simply thinking about eating less (although I wouldn't be too restrictive). It's also why I think it can be easier to focus on things like adding activity. For me adding activity = eating to help me perform my best, so again that's a positive reason, not just a negative.

Adding new specific goals and working for them helps too.

And accepting that it's sometimes hard -- I'm struggling a bit at the moment, but I know it will pass.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    For me it became a lifestyle change when I started to feel better. At that point I knew it was worth it.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    For me, it was at about 2 months that I can honestly say that certain things, such as walking or running after dinner each night, had become a true habit/routine. As for food, I've never found counting calories to be particularly arduous and the MFP database is a great resource that takes some of the thinking out of it. But, if you are focused on restricting certain types of food that you really like, I can see how it would be annoying. My household still orders take out twice a week and we eat out at least one meal on the weekends. I don't restrict anything and eat what I want, just in more sensible portions that fit my calorie goals. It doesn't really take a lot of thought or work to do this, it's just being more mindful of the amount of calories in any particular food, and that became a habit for me rather quickly.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I am not restricting food I like, just not eating as much of it and in much smaller portions which is the difficult part.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I am not restricting food I like, just not eating as much of it and in much smaller portions which is the difficult part.

There may always be some foods that you always have a hard time with (i.e., if you have a little you want a lot.) I have a few foods like that and I have to keep them to only a few times a year. Working them in more than that does not work for me. My main food like that is homemade chocolate cake. I have an extremely difficult time just having it in the house and one reasonably sized slice is not enjoyable for me. When we have it, I have a slice at dinner, a slice that evening, and then I *might* have a slice the next day but then it has to leave the house or be thrown out. It's just a really difficult food for me and I know that so I have to restrict it a lot.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    If you feel drained and are constantly thinking about food, you might be trying to do too much too fast. I failed a number of times before I realized that to make it sustainable, I had to start at the high end of my TDEE, log for a couple weeks, and then cut things out slowly, like to the tune of 100 daily calories a week (The mayo in my tuna was the first thing to go and after four months, I don't miss it at all), and find the places where I wanted to compromise and make changes.

• MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I've only been on the weightloss train since early January, so I can't be sure if it's already a real lifestyle change BUT I had massive eating days on Thursday and Friday last week and I was actively craving fruit and raw veg. That's really what I've noticed most, I've been WANTING fruit and veg more than I want fast food.