high triglycerides, what should macros look like?

Options
So I am new here. Last week, there was a doctor's visit, the result of which I learned that my triglycerides were 550. So high that ldl can't, apparently, be accurately measured (!?!) My blood pressure is fine (even good.)

I am all about CICO, but would like to know what macros should be, specifically, I know I should do less carbs, but where does that leave me with fats and protien? So far, I lowered carbs by 5%, and increased protien by 5%. Should I lower more and add to fats, too? Am I overthinking this?

Any advice appreciated.

Also feel free to.add me as a friend : )

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Set carbs 18%, Protein 22%, healthy fats 60%. All good! :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    LDL is calculated usually, using the Friedewald formula. With high TGs the answer might be negative. There is an alternative "Iranian" formula at the same link.

Carbohydrate restriction has been demonstrated to lower triglycerides, so replacing some carbohydrate with fats should help, possibly monounsaturated fats for the best result.
  • redsunrisemountain
    redsunrisemountain Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended 4 grams of fish oil capsules to help with lowering triglycerides. This actually does help me lower my number, but may not work for everyone. You should ask your health care provider for suggestions.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Weightloss will improve triglycerides but so will a low carb high fat diet (even without weight loss). Cutting carbs, mainly refined carbs and sugars, may be enough to help.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Weight loss will have the biggest impact on your cholesterol.

Eat whatever macro breakdown that gives you the most satisfaction to stay on course.

There are too many studies for high carb low fat and high fat low carb that both claim to improve cholesterol.

The only thing they all have in common is that people who loose weight usually see an improvement in their cholesterol.

Look up the "twinkie diet". Fascinating.
  • PaigeInTechnicolor
    PaigeInTechnicolor Posts: 164 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thank you guys so much.

I have gotten on fish oil for the omega 3s, as per doctors instructions.

I think I will adjust carbs down and fats up a bit, as I seem to have issues keeping fat intake in range, and less issue avoiding carbs. Trying to keep with olive oil / avocado type fat, rather than, say, cheeses- I overeat cheese anyway, so best to avoid until I learn to portion better.
  • paulabeytajr
    paulabeytajr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Exactly the question I was looking for. All my stuff was great except TG were 502 and cholesterol was high. But I hadn’t fasted and almost two weeks prior finished a second round of prednisone for bronchitis. I freaked out at that number. I used to work out a lot. I don’t really eat trashy I thought. And out of my own thoughts and experiences I set my macros like that first comment fat 20. But protein 40 and fat 40. I wanna gain muscle while exercising.