Clean eating help

Options
13»

Replies

• Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I live by the 5-second rule when it comes to clean eating. Or I just blow the germs off...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I soak mine in vodka :)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Ah the daily clean eating debate thread.

I know it's hard to understand, but OP like many others is defining "clean food" not just as that which is unprocessed, but as any food that contributes meaningfully to a good diet; that is, foods that have a high nutrient density, and provide substantial amounts of micronutrients while keeping the diet compliant with its macronutrient constraints.

The question OP is asking, which many people ask and which falls on purposefully deaf ears, is really is it acceptable if 80% of the food I eat aligns with my dietary macro/micro goals, and 20% does not, so long as I stay within my calorie ceiling for the day?

The answer is: sure. You can go very far with this rule. Eventually you may need to reduce that 20% figure to 10 or 5 or 0 depending on your physique goals, but feel free to run with this for now.

Crap, now we are supposed to be able to read people's minds? Cause, ... , she didn't say that :smirk:

No, we don't at all. It just takes the slightest amount of sense and reason sometimes to know what someone is really after. The term clean food is intended to describe food choices that align with a diet that brings you closer to your fitness and health goals. This concept unifies those who use this term, and it's the concept, which generated OP's specific question, that I'm bringing to the surface.

I bet if OP and I sat down, she would agree that what I'm saying is what she meant, or was getting that, even though it wasn't precisely what she said.

Your description of the term clean eating is not the one I'm familiar with.

Me neither. I have actually NEVER heard anyone explain clean eating as food choices that bring you closer to your health & fitness goals. While Dianne's list includes some of the craziest definitions you would ever hear someone use for "clean eating", the vaguest I've ever heard is unprocessed, whole foods.

That is similar to what I've always known it to mean. The definition I learned growing up was "The close the food is to it's natural state, the cleaner it is."

Like a mushroom?

Sure, if it's food.

Last I heard a mushroom was indeed a food

But of course in its natural state it's in a bed of compost so best cleaned before eating :)

Well we are talking about clean eating, so sure! Wiping dirt from food doesn't change the natural state of the food.

Not all mushrooms are food because some are poisonous.

But someone uneducated in mycology could mistake them for food.

I suppose many things could be mistaken for food, but how does that make them food or relate to the OP?

You're the one who brought up mushrooms and "natural states."

I was just saying that you can't walk into the woods and pick any mushroom from it's natural state and eat it and be healthy. The mushrooms in my picture above are "clean" by many definitions and "natural." But they will freaking kill you.

No, I did not bring up mushrooms. I said "food close to it's natural state"

Sorry. I'll fix it.

I was just saying that you can't walk into the woods and pick any mushroom from it's natural state and eat it and be healthy. The mushrooms in my picture above are "clean" by many definitions and "natural." But they will freaking kill you.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Ah the daily clean eating debate thread.

I know it's hard to understand, but OP like many others is defining "clean food" not just as that which is unprocessed, but as any food that contributes meaningfully to a good diet; that is, foods that have a high nutrient density, and provide substantial amounts of micronutrients while keeping the diet compliant with its macronutrient constraints.

The question OP is asking, which many people ask and which falls on purposefully deaf ears, is really is it acceptable if 80% of the food I eat aligns with my dietary macro/micro goals, and 20% does not, so long as I stay within my calorie ceiling for the day?

The answer is: sure. You can go very far with this rule. Eventually you may need to reduce that 20% figure to 10 or 5 or 0 depending on your physique goals, but feel free to run with this for now.

Crap, now we are supposed to be able to read people's minds? Cause, ... , she didn't say that :smirk:

No, we don't at all. It just takes the slightest amount of sense and reason sometimes to know what someone is really after. The term clean food is intended to describe food choices that align with a diet that brings you closer to your fitness and health goals. This concept unifies those who use this term, and it's the concept, which generated OP's specific question, that I'm bringing to the surface.

I bet if OP and I sat down, she would agree that what I'm saying is what she meant, or was getting that, even though it wasn't precisely what she said.

Your description of the term clean eating is not the one I'm familiar with.

Me neither. I have actually NEVER heard anyone explain clean eating as food choices that bring you closer to your health & fitness goals. While Dianne's list includes some of the craziest definitions you would ever hear someone use for "clean eating", the vaguest I've ever heard is unprocessed, whole foods.

That is similar to what I've always known it to mean. The definition I learned growing up was "The close the food is to it's natural state, the cleaner it is."

Like a mushroom?

Sure, if it's food.

Last I heard a mushroom was indeed a food

But of course in its natural state it's in a bed of compost so best cleaned before eating :)

Well we are talking about clean eating, so sure! Wiping dirt from food doesn't change the natural state of the food.

Not all mushrooms are food because some are poisonous.

But someone uneducated in mycology could mistake them for food.

I suppose many things could be mistaken for food, but how does that make them food or relate to the OP?

No, I did not bring up mushrooms. I said "food close to it's natural state"

Sorry. I'll fix it.

Exactly. Thank you!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I live by the 5-second rule when it comes to clean eating. Or I just blow the germs off...

Correct