edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
New study

Exercise Suppresses Appetite By Affecting Appetite Hormones

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081211081446.htm

Replies

• pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Well I must be a special snowflake because after the gym I could eat a dead dog.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Works for me most of the time.

I was starved this morning, but just rode it out and went to the gym though I really wanted to just stay home and curl up with a snack.

Less hungry after, had lunch and on track so far.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Not in my anecdotal experience. I eat less on sedentary days unless I pay close attention.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    Well I must be a special snowflake because after the gym I could eat a dead dog.
    I'll one-up you and say that I could eat a house.
    I'm like Pam from Archer.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Yep. That's why I run. It helps up the CO, and it suppresses my appetite as well. Plus it helps me make healthier food choices. I feel gross trying to run on a greasy meal and crash if I eat too many sweets/not enough veg/fiber/protein.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Summary: A vigorous 60-minute workout on a treadmill affects the release of two key appetite hormones, ghrelin and peptide YY, while 90 minutes of weight lifting affects the level of only ghrelin. The research shows that aerobic exercise is better at suppressing appetite than nonaerobic exercise and provides a possible explanation for how that happens. This line of research may eventually lead to more effective ways to use exercise to help control weight.

Presumably there are other factors that affect hunger besides these two hormones.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Sure, for an hour or two afterwards I won't be hungry. Then comes the crash and feeling like I'm going to throw up or end up on my *kitten* if I don't eat something (usually a lot of something) NOW.

So, overall probably not a net reduction for me.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I do notice that I am less hungry on days where I walk a lot.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat less on days I exercise because I "don't want to undo my work" (terrible excuse I know).

UNLESS it was running. If I run I need to eat the whole fridge later.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    Yes, exercise does curb my appetite; that is why I prefer to exercise in the very late afternoon; I don't feel too hungry for dinner. The downside is that I don't feel like cooking dinner because I am not hungry..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Well it may be subjective. I train fasted and during exercise, I'm not hungry. When I'm done, that's a different story.
    If I feel a bit hungry and want to save calories later, I go for a walk. It helps to curb my hunger.
    But I can also play video games and my hunger gets curbed.

So I think behavior has a lot to do with how people feel about exercise and eating.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    So how does this correlate to the studies that show that people tend to eat more when they exercise if they don't track?
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This kind of works for me. Immediately after I'm not hungry at all, but about an hour or so later I would be peckish. If I only had a snack though it would satisfy me. I get hungry, but not massively to the point I want to eat the fridge.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    The only reason I eat less on days I work out is because I haven't figured out how to do both at once.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    well.. over 11000 Fitbit exercise calories so far today and I came home hangry and tried to eat everything in the house... and very nearly was successful.

Not sure am buying what that article is selling.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I believe it, I don't even want to eat as much the days I exercise, probably half the reason is I fill up on water too
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Anecdotally speaking i experience something similar to this.

When i perform cardiorespiratory exercise i feel a slight nausea and total loss of hunger for 2-ish hours afterwards.

Lifting weights or anything which keeps my heart rate relatively low, however? I am insatiably ravenous.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Further down in the article they make it clear that these are transient effects:
    Based on the hunger ratings the participants filled out, both aerobic and resistance exercise suppressed hunger, but aerobic exercise produced a greater suppression of hunger. The changes the researchers observed were short term for both types of exercise, lasting about two hours, including the time spent exercising, Stensel reported.

“The finding that hunger is suppressed during and immediately after vigorous treadmill running is consistent with previous studies indicating that strenuous aerobic exercise transiently suppresses appetite,” Stensel said. “The findings suggest a similar, although slightly attenuated response, for weight lifting exercise.”
  • Camish911
    Camish911 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    dpgz941shebs.jpg

Haven't caved so far, but I'm usually quite tempted.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    IDK...most days I ride during my lunch hour and usually the last 10 minutes or so my mind is filled with thoughts of the lunch I'm going to get to eat when I get back. I'm not "starving" or famished mind you...but certainly I'm in the mood for a little lunch. On weekends I get my longer rides in and I usually have a temporary loss of appetite...but it's quite temporary...a few hours after a 30-50 mile ride and I'm going to eat pretty much anything I see.

A good session in the weight room makes me ravenous and I usually have to plan pretty well for that as dinner isn't usually served for another hour or 1 1/2 hours after I get home.