Fasting Diets are getting acceptance

Options
Gisel2015
Gisel2015 Posts: 4,142 Member
An article from the NY Times. This is just for general information and for discussion (a favorite in MFP).

"The health benefits of skipping meals are growing more apparent, though critics argue that the idea is still impractical for most people."

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/03/07/intermittent-fasting-diets-are-gaining-acceptance/?emc=edit_th_20160308&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=52960629

Replies

• tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    People have been fasting for thousands of years and is a common practice across the globe. Most commonly associated with cultural or religious activies. For the mainstream American media to come our and throw down the acceptance gauntlet falls into the definition "western arrogance."
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the big deal is. On the weekends, holidays/PTO, and when we go on vacation, we normally only eat two meals a day - breakfast and dinner.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Is skipping a meal considered fasting? I always thought it was a lot more intense than that, especially if we're talking about doing it for religious purposes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The article is about intermittent fasting as a form of dieting, not fasting as a spiritual practice.

My understanding is that IF can be either eating low calories on some days and maintenance on others (or not counting on the others) -- that's alternate day fasting or 5:2 -- or involve eating windows of various lengths (like 16:8, where everything would be eaten in 8 hours of the day).