Homework help! Body Shaming

Options
ELMunque
ELMunque Posts: 136 Member
I am writing a paper on Body Shaming, specifically how it is not specific to any body size, gender or age. There is plenty of research available on body shaming of thicker women and super skinny women. Has anyone had a personal experience with this, or have you seen it directed to someone else? I want to know if there are men that have had experiences, and also if there are any women with positive body images that have heard statements that could be body shaming directed towards them. Like I said, there are plenty of articles on line about body shaming, but I'd really like some real world responses and I'm hoping I will get more candid responses on line. Thanks!

Replies

• DrusiliaDD
    DrusiliaDD Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    In teenagers, "fat" is just thrown around as a general insult. I remember once when I was in high school this girl had sent an underwear photo to her boyfriend, who then showed it to his friends and it ended up on some local slut shaming Facebook page. The photo was accompanied by a plethora of insults, one of which was fat. But this girl was a UK size 6-8, flat stomach, thin legs etc. The word doesn't have to be applicable to the person it's just a garden variety insult to throw at any woman.

Also, a friend of mine's father repeatedly tells her that no one will love her if she's fat and doesn't see how that might be problematic.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I was a size 4 for much of my adult life, until I got into my mid-40s (when I went up a couple of sizes). When I was a 4 I could never buy clothes on sale. Dept. stores usually only bought 1 or 2 of something in a size 4. If I waited for it to go on sale it was gone. I always considered this very unfair; I felt punished for being a small size and always having to pay "full" price for all my clothes. This was in the 80s and early 90s, before online shopping. I was 5'5" and about 125-130 pounds throughout my 20s, 30s and early 40s. I had a nice figure, but not super-thin or model-worthy. Just normal.
  • ELMunque
    ELMunque Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    These are both great, thank you, well I mean, it's terrible but great examples. In both cases was there residual body image issues? I'm sure the teens had some, that is a hard time in life any ways, and they probably had some all on their own without the comments, poor girls. Did it rollover into adulthood?

Are there any men that have felt body shamed?
  • RedLipsRedDress
    RedLipsRedDress Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I posted my story once, will give you a link and answer questions of you have any. Good luck http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10340973/its-pink-shirt-day-were-you-bullied-at-school#latest