Avoiding gall bladder "attack"

Options
The last couple of times I managed to lose a significant amount of weight, I had a month or more where I had persistent nausea and the general feeling that my GI tract wasn't working properly. The second time it happened, my GP ordered an ultrasound to check my gallbladder and found no stones or anything. Nevertheless, I still suspect it may have been inflamed or irritated or whatever, based on subsequent conversations with others with similar experiences. Any ideas on how to avoid the problem this time around?

For history: first time was a healthy but unintentional approx. 50-60 lb weight loss resulting from a dramatic lifestyle change (Peace Corps). The second was Weight Watchers - I think I lost about 35-40 lbs that time before I quit. I've never been underweight or malnourished, anything like that.

Replies

• indigrrl
    indigrrl Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks amyrebeccah. Really fast the first time - most of it in 3 months. The second time was more of the standard 0.5-2 lbs per week (after the usual first week water-weight drop).
  • golfergirl92
    golfergirl92 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hmm now that I think about it I had a gall bladder attack shortly after I lost almost 12 pounds in maybe 4 weeks. I was away from home and was rather home sick....I've always contributed it to the burger and fries I ate for lunch almost every day at work. I have no idea how many calories I was eating because I wasn't logging at that time, but I had constant nausea and went to the ER once for it. They thought I was just prego and didn't know. The second time about four weeks later, I ended up in the ER again in severe pain that had lasted like 24 hours with the nausea. Ultrasound indicated an inflamed gallbladder and they put me on omeprazole and nausea meds. I cleaned up my eating a lot and drank more water and I thought that was the cause. Feeling much better this time around but I'm keeping my calories around 1900 so that's probably helping!
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I had a poorly functioning gall bladder. Normal is 35% and mine was 19%. I had lost 60+ pounds at the time ( 2+ yrs ago). No stones but my function was rapidly declining. So I had surgery and I'm so glad. Would do it again in a heart beat. I gained weight back due to getting pregnant with my now,16 month old. They had to do a imaging test to see what my function was. That test was on a Monday, the next day they scheduled a visit with a surgeon, Wednesday doc said surgery next day.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    When I met with the surgeon to have my gal bladder taken out he told me that once you have a gal bladder attack it is best to have it taken out, because you will have reoccurring attacks.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    You may need a HIDA scan to determine how well (or not) your gallbladder is functioning. A less-than-optimally functioning gallbladder can cause symptoms, especially if you consume fatty foods. Does losing weight, where the body is consuming its own fat stores, cause the same problem? IDK, but I'd guess that it could.
  • jessicaallen1996
    jessicaallen1996 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had attacks for almost 4 years before I had mine surgically removed. My attacks felt like I was being stabbed in my upper right quadrant of my abdominal-pelvic region. That was accompanied by a nauseous feeling, and the only reason my pain went away was if I threw up. Most people feel as if they're having a heart attack/ being stabbed so I don't know if your issue is your gall bladder. Other wise it would of shown up on your labs and ultrasound
  • alp_19
    alp_19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I second @jessicaallen1996. I had my gallbladder removed two years ago after suffering from attacks for months. What you're describing doesn't sound like a gallbladder attack (though it's obviously something GI-related. During my gallbladder attacks my chest got super tight and I felt an awful stabbing pain in my chest (esp on the right) for hours. I just laid on my bed for hours writhing in pain and unable to even cry because I couldn't take a deep breath. Then it would go away as rapidly as it came hours later.

I would look into other GI problems that correlate better what what you're dealing with.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have rare bouts of bad pain in the gallbladder area, and it will go on for a few weeks at a time. I've been checked twice for it with no sign of stones. But taking some digestive enzymes I found when that happens did make it go away or hurt much less. They have ox bile or similar as well as the usual papaya, etc. It sounds terrible, but I was desperate (and I was checked out thoroughly, so there was no other condition to watch out for). Those are OTC.

It also helped to avoid fatty foods, but that didn't do enough.

Nausea for me was more of a symptom of my stomach acid troubles. Have you tried any Pepsid or omeprazole just to see if they help any? That can help the doctor figure things out, too. I've had various symptoms due to acid, but nausea was a big one for over a month one time for me.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Taking a course of acid blockers wouldn't be amiss. Give it at least 2-4 weeks for them to kick in.

I recently had a CT and HIDA scan. No stones but my gallbladder isn't functioning optimally when I eat fatty foods (i.e. After I drank the yummy can of ensure). That can cause pain as well, but there is no treatment except removal. Since mine was borderline low functioning, I opted for managing my diet instead of surgery.

Also, did your weight loss involve radical changes in diet? You can change your gut flora, which can mess with digestion.

But I'd schedule an appt w a GI--and I'd start taking acid blockers and a probiotic in the meantime, bc you are likely to get that advice anyway.
  • dredremeg
    dredremeg Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    When I had my gall bladder attacks, it was only when I ate fried greasy, or fatty foods.
  • indigrrl
    indigrrl Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've only just started this round, so no problems yet, but I'm determined to lose at least 60 lbs minimum this time around. Just looking at prevention. I'll add probiotics for sure, and of course consult my doc if I need to. Slow and steady this time, small changes, hoping for a more permanent result.

Amyrebeccah & others: I did also have gut pain/cramping, especially after eating during those times. Absolutely miserable.