Estimating calories in a meal

Options
I'm going to a fancy dinner on Friday and I have no idea on the number of calories it's going to contain. It seems pointless to try and guess the quantities of each of the ingredients. Just as a rough estimate, how many calories would you log for this meal? My standard is 1000, since I never eat that much when I cook for myself, but any suggestions are welcome!

Parsnip, apple & ginger velouté, buttermilk & sumac doughnuts
Crispy cod, red pepper, sage, Lilliput caper & black olive crumb
Crushed new potatoes –petit pois a la francaise & chatenay carrot
Lime tart & warm cardamom anglaise (E)

Thanks,

George

Replies

• Ericaj573
    Ericaj573 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Holy god, that is a fancy dinner! I can hardly pronounce half of it!! I suggest, rather than stressing about calories and your intake just accept that this is a special occasion, enjoy your evening since a menu like that is few and far between, then draw a line under if and start afresh the following day. Sometimes it's good to push your boundaries too; rather than rigidly calculate every morsel be comfortable enough to accept that one meal is not going to sabotage your weight goals, and if it makes you feel better just go for a good run the next day as well.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I would log 1,000-1,200 calories for that meal, have a light but decent breakfast and lunch, and then get back on plan the next day.