Muscle Qs

Options
- I heard fish oil supplements are good to take before bed after a good muscle workout to help repair the muscle and alleviate soreness the next day..any truth?

Also after a great muscle building workout, when you Know they will be sore the next day, and they Are, do you let them rest and work" some other body part out or stretch it out and still try to use it some more...? I went hiking 2 days ago and let's just say I was climbing a cliff at one point...my legs are super sore still today...I rested yesterday and today I still went on a walk and did a little upper body but I'm trying to find out how to approach this next time.

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of benefits to taking omega 3 fish oil supplements. Make sure to take ~2-3g EPA + DHA Omega 3s and not a 3, 6 blend. Also take a Triglyceride form.

The timing you take the supplement doesn't matter.

Soreness doesn't necessarily mean you're building muscle or had a good workout. If you're too sore to have a good workout, then don't work out those muscles that day, but it's fine to work out while a little sore.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    - I heard fish oil supplements are good to take before bed after a good muscle workout to help repair the muscle and alleviate soreness the next day..any truth?
    Muscles need water and protein to repair. Fish oil has little, if any impact on that at all. Same for DOMS.
    Also after a great muscle building workout, when you Know they will be sore the next day, and they Are, do you let them rest and work" some other body part out or stretch it out and still try to use it some more...? I went hiking 2 days ago and let's just say I was climbing a cliff at one point...my legs are super sore still today...I rested yesterday and today I still went on a walk and did a little upper body but I'm trying to find out how to approach this next time.
    One of the best things you can do for really sore body parts is to just move them. DOMS is natural for any muscle that goes through a workout it's not used to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Buildingit3157
    Buildingit3157 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of benefits to taking omega 3 fish oil supplements. Make sure to take ~2-3g EPA + DHA Omega 3s and not a 3, 6 blend. Also take a Triglyceride form.

The timing you take the supplement doesn't matter.

Soreness doesn't necessarily mean you're building muscle or had a good workout. If you're too sore to have a good workout, then don't work out those muscles that day, but it's fine to work out while a little sore.

Ah good to know . Yeah I used to take fish oil supplements and then I stopped . I'll have to get some more . I do know your muscles tear when you work them out, hence the soreness because you are building them.Thinking back to A&P class, I could be wrong. It wasn't an injury Sunday, just breaking them in for hiking :) I don't like being sore, I feel disabled.
  • Buildingit3157
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Muscles need water and protein to repair. Fish oil has little, if any impact on that at all. Same for DOMS.
    One of the best things you can do for really sore body parts is to just move them. DOMS is natural for any muscle that goes through a workout it's not used to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Water and protein....got it. Thanks
  • Buildingit3157
    Options
    So maybe I should do yoga the day after a muscle building workout..It feels so ooooo good to stretch.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Anything that'll get blood flow to the muscles. I personally like to do 5 minutes of warm up cardio then go to foam rolling for 3 sets per muscle followed by static stretching. It really helps with DOMS, but yeah DOMS is basically inflamed muscle tissue due to it undergoing stress it's not used to. Fish oil can help with joint imflamation and may help with DOMS slightly. I take it mainly because I don't eat fish and hey, better safe than sorry.
  • Buildingit3157
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Anything that'll get blood flow to the muscles. I personally like to do 5 minutes of warm up cardio then go to foam rolling for 3 sets per muscle followed by static stretching. It really helps with DOMS, but yeah DOMS is basically inflamed muscle tissue due to it undergoing stress it's not used to. Fish oil can help with joint imflamation and may help with DOMS slightly. I take it mainly because I don't eat fish and hey, better safe than sorry.
    Do you do the stretching and foam rolling the day after when its sore? Foam rolling is helpful huh? I used to take fish oil. I need to decide if I want to take a multi vit and maybe fish oil or if I want to take individual vits like a b complex etc.
    Thanks for your help.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I'll do either the day after my workout or within 30 minutes of my workout. Purely depends on how much time I have. I take a multi and fishoil, Just to fill the gaps in my diet.