Foods you use as beauty products?

Options
arditarose
arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
Besides using coconut oil on you body...

I recently started using cocoa powder in my hair instead of dry shampoo. It leaves no residue, smells nice, and actually works better.

I had a friend who was always making masks and washing her face with things that I normally keep in my cupboard. I've been curious about it lately after my cocoa powder discovery.

Replies

• r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My friend made me a really nice sugar scrub of sorts. I don't have the recipe, but it was lemon and sugar and it smelled delicious. I used it on my lips to exfoliate before putting on matted lipstick. :) worked quite nicely!
  • arditarose
    Options
    r5d5 wrote: »
    My friend made me a really nice sugar scrub of sorts. I don't have the recipe, but it was lemon and sugar and it smelled delicious. I used it on my lips to exfoliate before putting on matted lipstick. :) worked quite nicely!

I was thinking about making some kind of sugar scrub. Really I don't have the patience for this kind of crap. I'd rather just take something straight from the bottle and put on my face or something lol
  • fjellrev
    fjellrev Posts: 5,078 Member
    Options
    I find avocado is great for my curly hair. Mix it with coconut oil, honey, vitamin E oil, and/or an egg for protein.

Apple cider vinegar or beer as a hair rinse gives great shine.

Oatmeal, honey, and banana are great for the face. The combination calms redness, I find.
  • r5d5
    Options
    haha agreed! It's better when someone just makes it for you!
  • arditarose
    Options

I know! My boyfriend's sister made me deodorant and chapstick for christmas and I love it.
  • r5d5
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I know! My boyfriend's sister made me deodorant and chapstick for christmas and I love it.

That sounds amazing! I wish I was patient and crafty... I can't even make those cucumber masks...
  • arditarose
    Options
    fjellrev wrote: »
    I find avocado is great for my curly hair. Mix it with coconut oil, honey, vitamin E oil, and/or an egg for protein.

Oatmeal, honey, and banana are great for the face. The combination calms redness, I find.

I just read that about beer being good for a hair rinse...like what, a stout? IPA? It sounds fun because I also like to drink beer in the shower.

The avocado mixture sounds messy...I might not get into that.

I might be into the oatmeal/honey/banana...what is it? scrub?
  • yasminara
    yasminara Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Girl, honey with coffee grounds is an AMAZING body scrub. They have a few recipes on Pinterest, its awesome.

Also...I know this is weird but eggwhites on your face as a mask actually helps skin. Bengali women use that and turmeric (not together) to brighten and clear skin. ❤️

But I def recommend the coffee. Better than any sugar scrub out there. On the hardy parts of your bod anyway lol!
  • arditarose
    Options
    yasminara wrote: »
    Girl, honey with coffee grounds is an AMAZING body scrub. They have a few recipes on Pinterest, its awesome.

Also...I know this is weird but eggwhites on your face as a mask actually helps skin. Bengali women use that and turmeric (not together) to brighten and clear skin. ❤️

But I def recommend the coffee. Better than any sugar scrub out there. On the hardy parts of your bod anyway lol!

Seems like I would need a lot of honey....Can I put it on my face or just my hardy parts? lol

Egg whites on face sounds fun. I wanna do it just because.
  • yasminara
    yasminara Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I say the coffee cuz its abrasive like just your legs or back type place! I dont use a lot of honey because not alot is needed!

And I did the egg whites a couple times because my mom swears by it. Its not my fave because I'd rather just eat the food haha, but I did remember my face feeling firmer
  • fjellrev
    fjellrev Posts: 5,078 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    fjellrev wrote: »

I just read that about beer being good for a hair rinse...like what, a stout? IPA? It sounds fun because I also like to drink beer in the shower.

The avocado mixture sounds messy...I might not get into that.

I might be into the oatmeal/honey/banana...what is it? scrub?

I'm sure almost any beer would work, but I just stick to any older beer that is lying around (like a mass-produced lager like Molson Canadian), and it luckily doesn't make you smell like it either.

The hair mask can definitely be messy. You really have to watch with the ratios so it won't get too liquidy, but it's truly awesome if you have drier hair.

And as for the oatmeal/banana/honey combination, it makes an excellent mask. Just leave it on your face for like ten minutes then rinse off. This link has some great ideas for soothing/moisturizing facial masks:

http://en.paperblog.com/8-diy-oatmeal-milk-banana-and-honey-face-mask-recipes-for-dry-skin-165247/

Speaking of oatmeal, I don't know if this is super common knowledge, but if you ever suffer from itchiness, like from poison ivy, chicken pox, etc, bathing with it amazingly gets rid of it. Just put a bunch of it in a nylon and take a bath with it. It really works!

I've also heard about the egg white mask idea. Apparently my grandma used to do it. Since they're rich in collagen, they're great for healing acne scars, redness, etc.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I used olive oil for my son's nappy rash. Worked very well.
    Sometimes I use it before I put on the shaving cream. Makes the shave smoother.
    Also like it for my hands.
    We produce our own olive oil. So I'm not worried about the costs/price.

My wife makes a face scrub from coffee grounds and face masks with honey and egg (not to sure what exactly).