Fasting Diets Are Gaining Acceptance

Options
13»

Replies

• ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I've been doing IF since 2012. I did alternate day IF (JUDDD) for the weight loss phase, 5:2IF as I transitioned into maintenance and now in maintenance I do 16:8IF. I've been thinking about ditching IF because I'm kind of bored with it, but then I reflect back and see that it's really worked well for me, so I'll probably keep doing it in one form or another for the long term.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This is my second week following 5:2. I am eating 600 calories, not 500. My maintenance is around 2350 so I chose a higher calorie level. I'm doing it on Tuesday and Thursday, which are non-lifting days. So far it has been pretty easy. I've hit the point where cutting calories every day seems endless but cutting steeply a couple days gives me the "it's just one day" feeling mentioned upthread.
  • ernestrodgers82
    ernestrodgers82 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    This is my second week following 5:2. I am eating 600 calories, not 500. My maintenance is around 2350 so I chose a higher calorie level. I'm doing it on Tuesday and Thursday, which are non-lifting days. So far it has been pretty easy. I've hit the point where cutting calories every day seems endless but cutting steeply a couple days gives me the "it's just one day" feeling mentioned upthread.

It sounds like you have a good plan. I'll be interested in keeping up on your progress.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I am doing 5:2 IF since past 3 weeks and I feel great! On non fast days I still eat at a 15% deficit. I am losing weight and getting really nice compliments! As the weeks pass I am finding it easier and easier to adhere to 500 cals on fasting days. Q
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    What the article does not say though is that if a person makes up for the calorie deficit they create on fasting days on the other 5 days, they will not lose any weight. We all make much poorer food choices when we are hungry so I can also see that this approach would work very poorly with people who do not have that much self-control. Like everything else, it will of course work to reduce weight if it helps people adhere to a calorie deficit but for many like me it would totally have the opposite effect. I blame for some of my weight gain the skipping breakfast approach (Not that hungry), then having a light lunch and then ravenous by he evening so much that I would have a hard time stop eating. And then of course I am not hungry next morning, if I consume 200 cals for dinner. So for me, part of my new habits include 3 main meals including breakfast and 1-2 snacks.
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    BTW: I have read some of the original articles supporting the NY piece, and it looks like the author is misrepresenting the conclusions of the studies. E.g. on 5:2:

RESULTS: Last observation carried forward analysis showed that IER and CER are equally effective for weight loss: mean (95% confidence interval ) weight change for IER was -6.4 (-7.9 to -4.8) kg vs -5.6 (-6.9 to -4.4) kg for CER (P-value for difference between groups = 0.4). Both groups experienced comparable reductions in leptin, free androgen index, high-sensitivity C-reactive protein, total and LDL cholesterol, triglycerides, blood pressure and increases in sex hormone binding globulin, IGF binding proteins 1 and 2. Reductions in fasting insulin and insulin resistance were modest in both groups, but greater with IER than with CER; difference between groups for fasting insulin was -1.2 (-1.4 to -1.0) μU ml(-1) and for insulin resistance was -1.2 (-1.5 to -1.0) μU mmol(-1) l(-1) (both P = 0.04).
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I did IF for a few months. Not the 5:2 method, but I would reduce my eating window to 4-6 hours a day. It wasn't at all for me, I got really bad blood sugar crashes and lost my period. I was probably around 18-19 % BF so not low enough to justify that bad of a reaction. Of course, studies on IF for women are inconclusive at the moment. Some women have great results with no side effects, and others (like myself) develop hormonal and blood sugar issues. Luckily everything stabilized as soon as I went back to eating normally.
    I would definitely recommend trying it out though and seeing if it's for you! Especially since you're a male, I've only heard good things about IF for men!

There are a couple of studies done in the Middle East about intermittent fasting (during Ramadan) that show that women who fast are more likely to develop blood sugar and other issues, even if a too unhealthy diet often present during Ramadan is taken out of the equation.
  • blewbell
    blewbell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've always skipped breakfast and not eaten after 8pm. Got 30 pounds overweight while doing that. I don't think IF is the whole story, I have to restrict calories. In my case I've also excluded bread/pasta/rice/potatoes - I guess that's low-carb but sometimes I end with a lot of carbs from veggies/nuts. I'm not sure meal timing has anything to do with it in my case. I wouldn't dare try to fast for more than 16 hours, I have enough blood sugar/hormonal issues as it is.

As other posters have said, it seems like men get more benefit out of it than women do. I know all my hubby has to do is not eat after dinner and he loses a ton. Sure wish he would start doing that!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm playing around with a 16:8 (sometimes 14:10). I'm not finding it nearly as hard as I thought I would.
  • ernestrodgers82
    Options
    88meli88 wrote: »
    BTW: I have read some of the original articles supporting the NY piece, and it looks like the author is misrepresenting the conclusions of the studies. E.g. on 5:2:

RESULTS: Last observation carried forward analysis showed that IER and CER are equally effective for weight loss: mean (95% confidence interval ) weight change for IER was -6.4 (-7.9 to -4.8) kg vs -5.6 (-6.9 to -4.4) kg for CER (P-value for difference between groups = 0.4). Both groups experienced comparable reductions in leptin, free androgen index, high-sensitivity C-reactive protein, total and LDL cholesterol, triglycerides, blood pressure and increases in sex hormone binding globulin, IGF binding proteins 1 and 2. Reductions in fasting insulin and insulin resistance were modest in both groups, but greater with IER than with CER; difference between groups for fasting insulin was -1.2 (-1.4 to -1.0) μU ml(-1) and for insulin resistance was -1.2 (-1.5 to -1.0) μU mmol(-1) l(-1) (both P = 0.04).

Yeah, most people don't expect you to go to the source documents. Like you said, the author came to some different conclusions. Don't you love Google Scholar? ☺
  • ernestrodgers82
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I did IF for a few months. Not the 5:2 method, but I would reduce my eating window to 4-6 hours a day. It wasn't at all for me, I got really bad blood sugar crashes and lost my period. I was probably around 18-19 % BF so not low enough to justify that bad of a reaction. Of course, studies on IF for women are inconclusive at the moment. Some women have great results with no side effects, and others (like myself) develop hormonal and blood sugar issues. Luckily everything stabilized as soon as I went back to eating normally.
    I would definitely recommend trying it out though and seeing if it's for you! Especially since you're a male, I've only heard good things about IF for men!

There are a couple of studies done in the Middle East about intermittent fasting (during Ramadan) that show that women who fast are more likely to develop blood sugar and other issues, even if a too unhealthy diet often present during Ramadan is taken out of the equation.

That's an interesting finding, but with a religious requirement is there really any choice?
  • nancycola
    nancycola Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It's been great to read others' experiences on IF'ing. I'm just starting it myself, eating within a 5-6 hour window. The book I'm reading said it would take 3 weeks to adjust. Fingers crossed.