Open diary -vs- closed diary

Options

Replies

• yoursingingrealtor
    yoursingingrealtor Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I enjoy looking at other people's diaries for sure. It helps me with meal planning. I love when I see people having a dessert or indulging., because I know that I am not alone in this hustle. I definitely find when It's public I pay more attention to my diet as opposed to when it was private.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I've been logging food over 500 days now with my diary being open to everyone and received only one comment from a friend and that was positive. I don't know if I would close my diary if the comment had been negative or if there had been more comments.
    I only really look at and comment on diaries if someone has asked for help.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    My diary my business, I've password locked it to only people I cook for as they can copy the meal.
    I've been criticized before by non CICO believers and I really don't care about what people think of my food choices.

I like the idea of password protecting to certain individuals (like my husband). The reason being is I am still in the "experimental" phase of this and trying to find what works for me. So that may mean low carb for a period of time, CICO another period of time, etc. So, it is nice to have the "freedom" to change things up without potential criticism.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for replying!
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I think people should use the tool however they want. Public, private...whatever makes you feel comfortable logging everything.

This. So well said, I'm copypasting it.

"I think people should use the tool however they want. Public, private...whatever makes you feel comfortable logging everything."
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I think some people are more honest if their diary is closed. They may be to embarrassed to log certain things or overages if they know it's there for all to see, so they might not log those things at all, so end up cheating themselves..

Wow, that did not occur to me.

I guess I don't see some foods as "good" or "bad".

Then what are the "things you're ashamed of" that you said in your OP that you don't do because you keep your diary public? What's the difference between being "embarrassed" and being "ashamed"?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    My diary wouldn't be too useful to others. I log in 4-5 languages, sometimes have a breakfast that says "2 grams of sugar" which would make sense to me (I count every cup of non-caloric drink as a gram of sugar because they do have 2-4 calories), log an entire 4-6 serving pots of food at once (because I calculate my calories as a monthly budget) causing some days to be artificially too high or too low. When people look at a 5000 calorie day followed by 2-3 days of sub 500 intake they start getting all sorts of "concerned". Same with sweets and somesuch where you would see a day that has 2 large bars of chocolate and little else (because the rest was pre-logged on previous days) when in reality it's the chocolate I would be eating a bit at a time for 2-3 weeks. I also consolidate things instead of adding new entries sometimes, try to explain to people how I ate 1500 grams of tomatoes in one setting when I was actually just snacking on it throughout the day...so on and so forth.

tl;dnr: my diary would only make sense to me and I would need to do a lot of explaining if I leave it open.

• Orphia
    Options
    I've had my food diary set to "Public" ever since I started at MFP. I've lost 32 kg (70 lbs) since April.

I think having your diary viewable, even if just to friends, makes you less likely to do things you're ashamed of.

(I've never had anyone criticise my diary. But I've had one person ask me if they could have a printed version, since they liked it so much! )

Anyone else think having an open diary makes them more accountable?

Or are there weight loss benefits in a closed diary, and I just can't see them?

Weigh in! :smile:
    I think some people are more honest if their diary is closed. They may be to embarrassed to log certain things or overages if they know it's there for all to see, so they might not log those things at all, so end up cheating themselves..

Then what are the "things you're ashamed of" that you said in your OP that you don't do because you keep your diary public? What's the difference between being "embarrassed" and being "ashamed"?

If you read what I actually said, you'll see I DID NOT say I do things I'm ashamed of. I'm proud of my diary. I haven't gone over my calorie limit since I started on MFP 335 days ago.

I was alluding to other people who overeat and keep their diaries closed.

Although I have no idea whether the closed diary is a factor in people's overeating. Depends on the person.
  • Annabanana525
    Annabanana525 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No one should be embarrassed and even criticism should be constructive. I've had one day where I went over and it was a day we ate out mostly but I don't care. I walked about 5 miles that day and worked extra hard the following days. My point is, everyone has wobbles and it's not always about denying. A treat isn't a bad thing but the great thing about diaries and people looking in is you can find alternatives and learn how to manage things better in a positive way. I'll keep mine public because there's nothing to hide. If I want a piece of chocolate I'll have one and pay the price for it with exercise or cutting something else out but that's just me. Different things work for different people.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Nah. I closed mine. I use it as a tool and I do get over quite a bit, but just make up for it later.. I got tired of feeling that I had to justify myself every time I went over, so I figured that nobody needed to see it anyway.

I still log everything because I'd just be lying to myself if I didn't.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add, re: accountability:

You guys are great, but I don't feel a responsibility to any of you to log accurately or make good choices. :wink: I have a responsibility to myself to do that and I don't need an open diary to fulfill that responsibility.

This.
    I figure that as the default is closed, by opening it I'm implying that i welcome discussion on what i eat, and i don't. I'd be honest either way, but when i had it open for a time and people would comment, id either ignore them, which i felt was rude, or have to discuss what i was eating, which i couldn't be bothered doing.

And this.

Mine is open when I'm logging, because I do talk about how I eat in the forums some and feel like it's more honest, but I shut it when I'm not logging consistently (I've had people assume I was undereating when I just was logging badly, and that bugs me).

I DON'T particularly welcome critical comments (I think about what I eat and have goals and if I don't meet them I know it), and don't find that others seeing or commenting would hold me accountable. I'm accountable to me.

Also, I go below and above my goal on various days and worry about the week total, and having someone nag me for being under or over would irritate. It hasn't happened -- I've only had nice comments -- but it is still something that I think might happen (weirdly).

For that reason I'm thinking of keeping it private again.

(I don't look at anyone else's diary unless they ask me to or make a claim about not eating processed foods, since I'm always curious what they mean by that.)
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Closed. That way I will log everything, otherwise I would be tempted to withhold some foods and because I am a very private person. I don't look at others' diaries either. One of the reasons I left MFP a couple of years ago is because a faction of the users became aggressive about opening everyone's diaries.

On the other hand, those who open their diaries should have that choice for whatever their reasons.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    If you read what I actually said, you'll see I DID NOT say I do things I'm ashamed of. I'm proud of my diary. I haven't gone over my calorie limit since I started on MFP 335 days ago.

Although I have no idea whether the closed diary is a factor in people's overeating. Depends on the person.

Holy hell, you haven't gone over your calories ever in 335 days? I'm guessing you don't drink much. I rarely go a week without going over my calories at least once.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. Mostly because it doesn't bother me what people think or see about my diet.

But a few months ago I had a weird vegan stalker make comments about the rotting flesh I had in my gut due to a T-bone steak I had (which was delicious) and also asked me if I had a problem eating "food with a face"

But she was special. And her diary was ablaze with ramen noodle entries...so.... I blocked her and moved on.

No random comments since then from either friends or random MFP ers
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, and during my 221 day logging streak I have yet to get a single comment about what I eat. I'm a self-admitted diary snoop, just because I'm a bit of a foodie and I love to see what other people like to eat, especially my overseas friends, so I think it's fair to reciprocate.

And my diary is all over the place, from healthy farm-to-table type stuff, to super rich gourmet meals, to McDonald's chicken nuggets. I drink often (probably more than I should TBH), and I always have at least one sweet snack everyday. None of this embarrasses me. If anyone ever offered me unsolicited criticism, I would point to the 52 pounds I've lost and pay them no mind.
  • chatlieretherford
    chatlieretherford Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Who ever commented on your diary and say it dog food is mean and stupid my kids only eat chicken out of a can and if you do it right it tastes REALLY good you can eat what ever you want cuz it's your body and if it's not right to one person dissent mean it wrong for you everyone is here to help each other and if all they do then stop being there friend cuz they ant your friend
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    I went from having it open to friends, to setting it to private, and just opened it up back to friends a few months ago. I had someone leave a comment where they compared what I was eating (canned chicken that I put in a salad) to dog food. After that I found myself not being honest with my logging because I didn't want to hear comments like that so I closed my diary for awhile. I'm finally in a place now where I really don't care what others think about my diet (noun) and feel comfortable sharing again.

• vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've got mine open and rarely think of folks taking time out of their day to look at it. It's there for my friends and that's about it. I am honest with what I post though, even when I go over 1000 calories. It's to keep track, not to look good to your peers.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add, re: accountability:

You guys are great, but I don't feel a responsibility to any of you to log accurately or make good choices. :wink: I have a responsibility to myself to do that and I don't need an open diary to fulfill that responsibility.
    I figure that as the default is closed, by opening it I'm implying that i welcome discussion on what i eat, and i don't. I'd be honest either way, but when i had it open for a time and people would comment, id either ignore them, which i felt was rude, or have to discuss what i was eating, which i couldn't be bothered doing.

Also these ^

• laurenjennifer1987mfp
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »

Holy hell, you haven't gone over your calories ever in 335 days? I'm guessing you don't drink much. I rarely go a week without going over my calories at least once.

I think this is the main reason why I find it ok to stick within my calorie allowance! That said, if I'd been drinking alcohol and overeating like i was, I'd probably be somewhere around the 100lbs to lose mark :neutral:

My diary is open to friends, if I were getting rude comments with no constructive criticism that 'friend' would get deleted.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I've had my food diary set to "Public" ever since I started at MFP. I've lost 32 kg (70 lbs) since April.

I think having your diary viewable, even if just to friends, makes you less likely to do things you're ashamed of.

(I've never had anyone criticise my diary. But I've had one person ask me if they could have a printed version, since they liked it so much! )

If you read what I actually wrote, I asked what those things are that you don't do (and in the context of open diaries that presumably means things you don't eat) because you would be ashamed of them if you did them or ate them. You say you don't see foods as good or bad, so what are these hypothetical actions related to food consumption that would make you ashamed, if you did them,--if--yet you don't see them as "bad"?

You seem to be assuming that people with closed diaries must be overeating and embarrassed, and tried to set yourself apart from the idea of being embarrassed about food, yet you admit that there are things related to eating that if you did them you would be ashamed. So I didn't get why you used this idea of not seeing foods as good or bad to differentiate yourself from your mental construct of people who have closed diaries.
  • Orphia
    Options

If you read what I actually wrote, I asked what those things are that you don't do (and in the context of open diaries that presumably means things you don't eat) because you would be ashamed of them if you did them or ate them. You say you don't see foods as good or bad, so what are these hypothetical actions related to food consumption that would make you ashamed, if you did them,--if--yet you don't see them as "bad"?

You seem to be assuming that people with closed diaries must be overeating and embarrassed, and tried to set yourself apart from the idea of being embarrassed about food, yet you admit that there are things related to eating that if you did them you would be ashamed. So I didn't get why you used this idea of not seeing foods as good or bad to differentiate yourself from your mental construct of people who have closed diaries.

huh_zps6gbfrz3v.gif