Doctor said 1000 calories

Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    I would take the advice of anyone running a weight loss clinic for profit with a grain of salt.

This is kind of the key to me. Are you having any health concerns that are associated with your weight? If not, there is no need to "struggle" to lose some weight. Use one of the TDEE calculators that have already been linked and aim for a minimal weekly weight loss goal, like half a pound per week.

Just as a reference, I am 43 yrs old, 5'4" and lightly active and workout 4 times a week. I started at 145 and lost @ half-pound per week eating 1500-1600 cals. I'm currently maintaining at 130 lbs eating 1,800 cals.

Personally, unless there are medical issues involved, I wouldn't go below 1200, and I wouldn't aim for more than half-pound per week, but since you are on the small side that is a decision you have to make. Get a food scale if you don't have one and start using it to make sure you are really eating at the right level. Good luck!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It sounds like he wants you to fail in order to drum up business for the weight loss clinic.

You are barely overweight, unless there is a medical condition you didn't mention, there is no reason at all to go to extremes like this.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Another take: It is a fairly general pattern that many people overestimate the amount of calories that they eat. The doctor may have recommended 1000 thinking that you will probably wind up eating somewhat more than that.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    From your diary, I see you become easily frustrated by the calories in the foods you eat. Breaded fish, breaded and fried chicken, less than lean ground beef, and cold cuts like bologna are highly processed and contain huge amounts of fat and sodium. Also, just because a food is Weight Watchers or Nutri System doesn’t mean it’s satisfying. It still has calories.

I suspect your doctor wants you to cut your fat and calories due to an underlying health problem like high blood pressure or high cholesterol. If it’s high blood pressure, the sodium in processed foods like bologna and hot dogs is bad for your system. Going from canned to frozen vegetables was a good choice for lowering your sodium. If it’s high cholesterol, the amount of fat in cheese and fried foods make managing it difficult. This includes things like breaded fish. Your choice of Healthy Choice Steamers and baked Tilapia looks great in terms of calories and sodium compared with some of your previous foods.

I don’t do protein shakes so I won’t put them down. They do, however, take up a lot of the calories that you could eat in solid foods and are fairly high in sodium. I only mention this because you say you’re always hungry and I don’t know if these shakes are actually filling.

Since the 1st of March, I think you’ve made excellent choices. The addition of the oat bread should help you stay fuller and who doesn’t need their take out coffee.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I figure if a doctor is going to give that sort of advice they better be prepared to support you 24/7. Because that advice is not sustainable.

What you are doing is working, so I suggest tweaking your plan so you are not as hungry.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Another take: It is a fairly general pattern that many people overestimate the amount of calories that they eat. The doctor may have recommended 1000 thinking that you will probably wind up eating somewhat more than that.

This is exactly what I was about to post. I really do think that some doctors quote low calorie intakes because people tend to overeat/underestimate their portions. That doesn't make it okay to do, but even on the boards we see people claim they eat "about" 1200 calories and don't lose weight, so I can't even imagine how many times doctors encounter this fallacy.

OP, if I were you I'd buy a food scale and weigh all of your food to the gram. Start with an intake of 1300 or so to be safe. Don't eat low fat. It will take a while to figure out the best ratios for your satiety, but 40% carbs, 30% fats, and 30% protein is a good place to start for most people. Give it a few weeks and see how much weight you lose. If you don't lose weight or lose less than you wanted to, you can reassess your calorie goals.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    This seems wayy to low. I am also 5'2, but 128 (only 15 lbs less than you!!) and I could not eat only 1000.

The anti fat statement (25g a day??) makes me think your doctor is old school (fat is bad, eggs are probably bad, don't bother lifting). Fat gives many a satiated feeling, much like protein. I am for double what you're instructed to eat.

Anywho- I would get a second opinion. I would not cut calories that low, and not eat that little fat.

Have you considered strength training as an aid?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I'm a nurse and work with lots and lots of doctors. They don't always know what they're talking about, especially if they're one of those doctors of osteopathy (DO),

Generalizations aren't helpful.
    There are different types of people in all career paths. Some are competent, some are not.
    How one chooses which type of physician is best for them is a very personal choice and often rooted in philosophical belief about the body and health.

D.O.s are osteopathic and M.D.s are allopathic.
    D.O.s specialize in a whole-body, holistic, preventative, and macro-lifestyle approach to medicine.
    M.D.s specialize in a medicative, medical procedural, pharmaceutical, and micro-structural approach to medicine.

Their medical training is nearly identical. It is their philosophy about the human being as a whole person that is different. Both are fully licensed physicians who have attended and graduated from accredited medical schools and put in their hard work, study, and performed accredited medical residency. Both are required to pass a state licensing examination to practice medicine. They both should be knowledgeable in their field, offer sound medical advice, and have their patient's well-being at the core of their oath. Failure to be/do any of those things is a lack in their character or competency, not their chosen career.

OP - If you are seeing one that instructed you to do something you are not comfortable with, it can't hurt to seek out advice from the other and then compare the opinions. (Or even seek a third opinion.) There is also, as many others have mentioned, the alternatives of seeking out advice from a nutritionist, dietitian or even a kinesiologist; or seek out professional, yet non-biomedical, advice.
    I sympathize with your feeling of hunger. I almost always feel hungry which often leads to over-eating and lands me in a vicious cycle of weight-gain.
    A last tidbit... do you have time to fit some walking in your day? I know when the weather is nice and I take a daily walk with my neighbor, I find my weight slightly easier to manage.

Good luck :)

My daughter is a DO (board-certified psychiatrist), so I just dismiss those negative generalizations as coming from ignorant boobs.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    mwood1234 wrote: »
    Hello all, so I went for my checkup at the doctor and we discussed my weight. He also runs a weight loss clinic along with his family practice. He suggested I cut to 1000 calories a day and no more than 25 mg of fat a day.

Isn't that too low calorie? I've been logging consisently for 2 weeks (open diary take a look). I average from 900 to 1100 day. Fat grams avg 24-30.

My BMR is 1294
    TDEE is not much more than that maybe 1350.
    5' 2"
    CW: 143.2
    I've lost around 2 pounds since 02/22.
    % of body fat is 34%

Need your expertise and advice. :)

Wouldn't you think your doctor is the expert???... I don't think anyone on here is really an expert ... just in their own minds. I'm sure there are a couple of people that will give you a bunch of certificates that they have, but only your doctor knows your medical situation, has reviewed your blood work... you know ... all the important stuff.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    MFP lowest recommendation is 1200 cals a day. However, there are things you can eat that will help you feel fuller longer. I drink protein shakes. Big Train Fit Frappe is one of my favs. They have a mocha and vanilla flavor that rock. I either mix them with Water or Coffee and if I want a cold one, I blend them with ice. On shorter bodies, the weight shows more. My daughter is 5ft and on a 1,000cal limit for loss, once she is done she will go back to 1,600 for maintenance. If you are feeling hungry, don't forget your water. Also try higher fiber foods that help you feel fuller longer.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    I'm a nurse and work with lots and lots of doctors. They don't always know what they're talking about, especially if they're one of those doctors of osteopathy (DO),

Generalizations aren't helpful.
    There are different types of people in all career paths. Some are competent, some are not.
    How one chooses which type of physician is best for them is a very personal choice and often rooted in philosophical belief about the body and health.

D.O.s are osteopathic and M.D.s are allopathic.
    D.O.s specialize in a whole-body, holistic, preventative, and macro-lifestyle approach to medicine.
    M.D.s specialize in a medicative, medical procedural, pharmaceutical, and micro-structural approach to medicine.

Their medical training is nearly identical. It is their philosophy about the human being as a whole person that is different. Both are fully licensed physicians who have attended and graduated from accredited medical schools and put in their hard work, study, and performed accredited medical residency. Both are required to pass a state licensing examination to practice medicine. They both should be knowledgeable in their field, offer sound medical advice, and have their patient's well-being at the core of their oath. Failure to be/do any of those things is a lack in their character or competency, not their chosen career.

OP - If you are seeing one that instructed you to do something you are not comfortable with, it can't hurt to seek out advice from the other and then compare the opinions. (Or even seek a third opinion.) There is also, as many others have mentioned, the alternatives of seeking out advice from a nutritionist, dietitian or even a kinesiologist; or seek out professional, yet non-biomedical, advice.
    I sympathize with your feeling of hunger. I almost always feel hungry which often leads to over-eating and lands me in a vicious cycle of weight-gain.
    A last tidbit... do you have time to fit some walking in your day? I know when the weather is nice and I take a daily walk with my neighbor, I find my weight slightly easier to manage.

Good luck :)

My daughter is a DO (board-certified psychiatrist), so I just dismiss those negative generalizations as coming from ignorant boobs.

There's a DO here that is an oncologist who prescribes chemotherapy daily. I'm not sure where he fits in on this supposed list...
  • Azdak
    Options
    Hello all, so I went for my checkup at the doctor and we discussed my weight. He also runs a weight loss clinic along with his family practice. He suggested I cut to 1000 calories a day and no more than 25 mg of fat a day.

Isn't that too low calorie? I've been logging consisently for 2 weeks (open diary take a look). I average from 900 to 1100 day. Fat grams avg 24-30.

My BMR is 1294
    5' 2"
    % of body fat is 34%

Wouldn't you think your doctor is the expert???... I don't think anyone on here is really an expert ... just in their own minds. I'm sure there are a couple of people that will give you a bunch of certificates that they have, but only your doctor knows your medical situation, has reviewed your blood work... you know ... all the important stuff.

Yes and no. There certainly are people here who think that because they lost 10 pounds or read fitness magazines that they somehow have more insight and expertise than a medical professional.

On the other hand......

A lot of general docs who run "weight loss clinics" on the side can have a narrow view of the situation and tend to use a "template" approach for everyone; and they don't always keep up with current trends and research.

So I think your response is reasonable, but I would not automatically assume that a doctor is a weight loss "expert".
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,576 Member
    Options
    OP - I second what a lot of people have said. Get a second opinion from a nutritionist/dietician before reducing your calorie intake to 1000 calories a day. Your TDEE might be more in line with "lightly active" - so I would also recalculate your TDEE to figure out how much of a deficit you should be doing.

Good luck!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    synacious wrote: »
    This is exactly what I was about to post. I really do think that some doctors quote low calorie intakes because people tend to overeat/underestimate their portions. That doesn't make it okay to do, but even on the boards we see people claim they eat "about" 1200 calories and don't lose weight, so I can't even imagine how many times doctors encounter this fallacy.

OP, if I were you I'd buy a food scale and weigh all of your food to the gram. Start with an intake of 1300 or so to be safe. Don't eat low fat. It will take a while to figure out the best ratios for your satiety, but 40% carbs, 30% fats, and 30% protein is a good place to start for most people. Give it a few weeks and see how much weight you lose. If you don't lose weight or lose less than you wanted to, you can reassess your calorie goals.

Agree with both of you. The doctor tells you to eat 1000 because he figures that's easier than telling you to eat 1500 and buy a food scale and log everything accurately, and then actually follow up if you aren't logging everything accurately.

I am 20 lbs into the obese category, with another 20 lbs after that to the high end of a healthy weight. My doctor suggested I lose the first 20 lbs in a year, and then the next year the next 20 lbs to get to a healthy weight. Obviously she wants it to be a long term sustainable process for me. She referred me to some classes my HMO offers on nutrition and weight loss as well, rather than giving me specific off the cuff advice herself.
  • elivelez62
    elivelez62 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am also on a 1000 calorie intake and eat small meals every 3 -4 hours and exercise 2 -3 times a week. I drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water which keep me full. I do not feel hungry at all during the day. Hi protein diet keeps me full. I have been on this regime for 3 weeks and I am losing 2 lbs per week. I am very happy with my the results. Good Luck.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

My BMR is 1294
    5' 2"
    % of body fat is 34%

Yes and no. There certainly are people here who think that because they lost 10 pounds or read fitness magazines that they somehow have more insight and expertise than a medical professional.

On the other hand......

A lot of general docs who run "weight loss clinics" on the side can have a narrow view of the situation and tend to use a "template" approach for everyone; and they don't always keep up with current trends and research.

So I think your response is reasonable, but I would not automatically assume that a doctor is a weight loss "expert".

Good point..... so which doctor are you supposed to trust exactly? whichever ones direction lines up with what you want to do?

• Azdak
    Options

My BMR is 1294
    5' 2"
    % of body fat is 34%

On the other hand......

Good point..... so which doctor are you supposed to trust exactly? whichever ones direction lines up with what you want to do?

That's the crucial question. I would be more trusting of the Doctor who either a) had some extra training/proficiency in these areas (which you would still have to verify) or b) knew his/her limitations and referred you to a registered/licensed dietitian.

We all have to be active partners in our own health care--look at credentials, do research, ask good questions. You do the best you can.
  • freddythefluffy
    freddythefluffy Posts: 13 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm a nurse and work with lots and lots of doctors. They don't always know what they're talking about, especially if they're one of those doctors of osteopathy (DO), and there are a lot of them who do family medicine.

That is a REALLY ridiculous and inaccurate stereotype to be throwing around on the internet. My sister is a DO, and is an extremely qualified doctor who literally saves the lives of babies every day in a nationally renowned neonatal intensive care unit. So, let's just stop right there with the bogus generalizations about an entire profession.

On the OP's question...I'd consider getting a second opinion, but I am also short (5'1") and have been told by doctors in the past that the 1200 calorie number is somewhat arbitrary, and that caloric intakes lower than 1200/day could make sense for some people in some circumstances, provided they are under supervision by a doctor or qualified nutritionist. If I were you, I'd ask the doctor to defend his/her recommendation a bit more, and make sure the potential risks are part of the discussion.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I really hope you mean 25g of fat, not 25mg. Actually, I take that back. 25g is just as ridiculous.

My advice is to find a doctor that's not a complete moron. 1200 calories per day is the bare minimum of what you should be eating.

You're in your 40s, you're relatively short, and I assume you're pretty inactive (?), so yes, your goal will be on the low side. However, 1000 calories per day is absolute nonsense. Please eat more than that. If you're exercising at all, you definitely need more than that.

You've lost 2 lbs in 2 weeks. Averaging a pound per week is fine, but not if you have to essentially starve yourself. Eat more and try to get your rate of loss to half a pound a week. You didn't say how much you want to lose, but since you're in the 140s, I wouldn't imagine it's all that much. Why rush it if it means eating less than a toddler needs?

How can you tell? You examined OP or something?

I second those who advise her to get a second opinion, especially if she is hungry very day, all day. It's not sustainable anyway.

A person's size makes a big difference. One or two inches even.
    I cannot lose if I eat more than 1200, and in fact, I often stall at 1200. 1100 will make me lose .05 per week, if I am extremely strict. I am 45 years-old, 5'3", and I don't workout.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    OP: I hope you hear the advice you're getting. Chronic hunger is a pretty strong sign we're doing something wrong (not eating enough , most likely, or in some cases on medications or have a metabolic condition). Since you are losing weight, I'd take the advice to increase your calories. Someone gave you Scooby link, and MFP should also up your calories if you do the guided weight loss and set for 0.5 lbs/week loss which is really the max you want to be at your weight.

I too am concerned your doctor is setting you up to fail, so he can sell you his weight loss services, which he no doubt believes in. That is, he has a conflict of interest.

Also a shout-out to Doctors of Osteopathy. My PCP is a D.O. and he is absolutely amazing. Intelligent, perceptive, knowledgable about medicine... and only the second doctor I've ever had to actually LISTEN to me. Thanks to him my lupus, which nearly killed me, is under control now.