Recomp vs bulk

Options
Out of curiosity I would like some thoughts on this. I've lost 37lbs and am down to 122 at 5'4. I've been lifting for 7mos now and started a recomp in January.

I've assumed my only option is recomp because although I've gotten somewhat bony on top, I still have considerable fat on the backs of my arms/butt/and the majority of it on my thighs. That being said, I do have some slight definition through my stomach. I have no idea what my fat% is because it's so unevenly distributed, but I would guess about 24.

I know bulking is meant for those with a lower fat% going in, but is there any benefit to doing one with a weird body type like mine? Like...instead of maintaining weight and slowly cutting fat, add a bit of muscle to aid in cutting fat? I guess I mean by increased metabolism?

I don't know that I would ever have the courage to bulk anyway, but it's irritating to feel that recomp is all I will be able to do because of a heavy lower body that I don't think will ever catch up with the rest of me. :/

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Interested to hear anyone chime in, because I'm in the same boat. OK with weight, but want to replace fat storage in belly/thighs with muscle. Upper body is very bony...I have no boobs, so all my fat is carried in the lower body. I am 5'2", weigh 106, yet am comfortable in a size 5 jeans due to my large thighs. I've been able to gain nice muscle mass and definition in my arms and back, but can never put meat on my ribs. It's interesting how different people carry fat in different places. If mine was evenly distributed, I'd be happy.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I really didn't want to do this, but just for sh!ts and giggles....this is what I'm working with now.

ameuudnpl58c.jpeg
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Looks like we are in a similar place.

kz3o4w79yhuj.jpeg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    I really didn't want to do this, but just for sh!ts and giggles....this is what I'm working with now.

ameuudnpl58c.jpeg

hard to tell without more pictures, but I would put you at the 22% range...i would like @Springfield1970 opinion on this.

OP - I think that you should of held off on the recomp until you got to about 18% body fat and then you can run a recomp or bulk as your progress will be more optimal at a lower body fat %.

Are you on a structured lifting program?
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

ameuudnpl58c.jpeg

hard to tell without more pictures, but I would put you at the 22% range...i would like @Springfield1970 opinion on this.

OP - I think that you should of held off on the recomp until you got to about 18% body fat and then you can run a recomp or bulk as your progress will be more optimal at a lower body fat %.

Yup. I had been doing ICF for 4mos, but just switched to PHUL this week because I wanted to do something different.... Should I go back in a deficit and cut down a bit more then?
  • ndj1979
    Options

ameuudnpl58c.jpeg

Yup. I had been doing ICF for 4mos, but just switched to PHUL this week because I wanted to do something different.... Should I go back in a deficit and cut down a bit more then?

My suggestion would be yes...maybe do a small deficit 250 calories so you maintain some LBM and drop fat ....
  • cnbbnc
    Options

ameuudnpl58c.jpeg

My suggestion would be yes...maybe do a small deficit 250 calories so you maintain some LBM and drop fat ....

That's kind of what I figured.... Ok. Thanks. :smile:

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I agree with the plan. Even though 122lb seems low, you may be very surprised what happens as you dropped the next pound or two. You could look completely different at 120.
    If you are anything like me, it's like my lower half suddenly shrinks when I am below 20%, it's just so hard to get the balance right (keeping the boobs!).
    I'd slowly slowly cut, measure and have a pair of skinny jeans as a litmus test (no stretch).

I think you are 21-23, but that's a guess and I haven't seen enough pics. Please keep us posted, I'd love to see what you looked like with 2 lb off, and hear about your measurements.

I definitely wouldn't bulk now if I were you. Cut/bulk or recomp.

I was 15or less when I started my bulk, and I looked like a scarecrow, but i went a little TOO low I think.

Then you can bulk, and hopefully be astonished.

Well done on your progress so far!
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't bulk now if I were you. Cut/bulk or recomp.

I was 15or less when I started my bulk, and I looked like a scarecrow, but i went a little TOO low I think.

Then you can bulk, and hopefully be astonished.

Well done on your progress so far!

Thanks so much. I'll cut down some more and see how it goes. I had stopped because as I'm getting increasingly smaller on top, my face is starting to look pretty gaunt. I have been measuring, and since starting maintenance around New Years I've lost about 2" overall, so I guess I'm going the right way. Slowly.....

There's no way I would try a bulk now because first off...I'm too chicken, and second....I don't think I know enough about it to take the plunge.

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Hopefully the fat will come off the bottom half, but if you feel it's making you look too gaunt then reassess.

Bulking is actually a very controlled thing. You can abandon ship anytime!

Keep learning to lift well and start deciding what progressive routine you may follow.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    OP not to scare you, but I made a couple mistakes myself.

First, I spent way too much time in a recomp (like nearly a year) right around 115-116 at (5'4").

October last year to first of January I bulked and valolla.. but I put on too much fat in the process cause I did not get my numbers right and of course holidays rolled around. I got back up to 126 pounds.

So this time I am through with my cut, and I went 2.2 pounds lower than goal but I am actually glad I did so I can get my numbers for the gain right this time.

Personally cut down to you specificed "goal weight" and keep lifting. Do a bulk after that. By the photos, you have a great canvas to work with and really nice legs...btw..
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options

Just curious...what are ICF and PHUL? Are these specific lifting programs?

• ndj1979
    Options
    minizebu wrote: »

yes..

ICF = Ice Cream Fitness
    PHUL = Power Hypertrophy Upper Lower

• minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options

yes..

ICF = Ice Cream Fitness
    PHUL = Power Hypertrophy Upper Lower

Thanks!

• cnbbnc
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    OP not to scare you, but I made a couple mistakes myself.

First, I spent way too much time in a recomp (like nearly a year) right around 115-116 at (5'4").

October last year to first of January I bulked and valolla.. but I put on too much fat in the process cause I did not get my numbers right and of course holidays rolled around. I got back up to 126 pounds.

So this time I am through with my cut, and I went 2.2 pounds lower than goal but I am actually glad I did so I can get my numbers for the gain right this time.

Personally cut down to you specificed "goal weight" and keep lifting. Do a bulk after that. By the photos, you have a great canvas to work with and really nice legs...btw..

Thanks for the input, and the compliment. My fear is spending a ton of time trying to recomp and not getting anywhere. There are so many opinions on it and variables to consider (I think I've been reading too much) that I feel like I'm talking myself out of it because I don't want to end up spinning wheels.
    I realize the same applies to bulk/cut but it just seems much more straight forward. I'm going to try the small deficit for now though.

Am I correct in thinking that increased muscle mass can aid in fat loss?
  • Carla1962Shaw2015
    Carla1962Shaw2015 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Pretty similar here but can't figure out how to post pic
  • Carla1962Shaw2015
    Carla1962Shaw2015 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Well my reply was much longer than that ☝
    Not sure what happened. ..

I'm 5'2", 116 lbs with 24% bf. Been lifting about 9 months, only lost about 7 lbs but went from 34% bf to 24%.

Still carrying fat on Hips & inner thighs BUT, for the first time in my life, my thighs are getting rock hard!

You're looking great! Keep it up!
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    Well my reply was much longer than that ☝
    Not sure what happened. ..

I'm 5'2", 116 lbs with 24% bf. Been lifting about 9 months, only lost about 7 lbs but went from 34% bf to 24%.

Still carrying fat on Hips & inner thighs BUT, for the first time in my life, my thighs are getting rock hard!

You're looking great! Keep it up!

Wow....that's crazy Carla! Amazing progress!!! My legs make me so sad because I can feel that my quads/hamstrings have changed but I can't see a thing because of the fat. I can barely pinch anything on my stomach, but I can grab an entire fistful of muck on my thighs.

Thanks so much. Ya'll have made me feel a lot better about what I'm doing.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options

This thread will give you links to those and more workouts.

And I concur with NDJ and Springfield.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

This thread will give you links to those and more workouts.

And I concur with NDJ and Springfield.

I also concur.

And you know we have had similar stats. I started my bulk heavier than you but had a lower body fat%. When I cut down to get lean enough to bulk, a few lbs made a HUGE difference. I mean I was agonizing over the scale but when I look back at the pictures, just going from 132-127, my thighs FINALLY slimmed down and I was pretty tiny.