Running with short legs?

Options
Sweet13_Princess
Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I almost feel comical by asking this question, but does anyone think it's more challenging to run because you're a short person or have short legs? I'm 5'3" and I see treadmill workouts that tell me to run at 5mph and I laugh. I'm already at a jog at 3.5 and feel like I'm running at 4.0. I tried amping it up to 6mph for 30 second intervals and practically fell on my face.*LOL* Anyone else agree or do you all just think I'm crazy.

Shannon

Replies

• mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I have relatively short legs - 31 inch inseam at 6'1. I just don't like running...never questioned if it was due to short legs
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I think I love you
    I almost feel comical by asking this question, but does anyone think it's more challenging to run because you're a short person or have short legs? I'm 5'3" and I see treadmill workouts that tell me to run at 5mph and I laugh. I'm already at a jog at 3.5 and feel like I'm running at 4.0. I tried amping it up to 6mph for 30 second intervals and practically fell on my face.*LOL* Anyone else agree or do you all just think I'm crazy.

Shannon

Thanks for the :)
  • kborden36
    kborden36 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 and feel the same way when running! I think I've gotten up to 4.4 on the treadmill
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. Keep on going, I think running will get easier for you.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    by the way I would totally buy that speed is always relative to your stride length so think I would find running at 5mph much easier than you would because I'm 5'8 (with a 2'7 stride walking)

I would assume we employ similar amount of effort in moving one pace (although I'm probably heavier too) but I would cover more distance
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    5'4" here, but reasonably long-legged. (I hate my short torso, so there really is no winning on this one.) My recovery run pace is 5.7 mph and the fastest pace I can do a 5k is 6.3 mph. Speed comes with endurance. When I first started 4 mph felt like torture; now it's my ordinary walking pace. I've been running off and on for 15 years, though...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    As long as your legs reach the ground they are not "too short" ;)

In general, the effort required for greater turnover due to a shorter stride is offset by the smaller mass and greater efficiency so that the oxygen cost remains similar at any given speed.

There was a recent study (sorry I didn't write down the reference and only scanned it) that suggested that differences in leg length might be more significant than previously thought, but I still think that holds true more for the extreme ends of the spectrum.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm just short enough that most elliptical machines have much to wide a stance for me and I feel like I'm going to fall over... as for running, I always feel like that but never thought it could be my height.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    It's more challenging to run faster, but not to just run in and of itself.

5mph is still faster than about 95% of the American public. Keep that in mind.
  • Kanyon17
    Kanyon17 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My friend is 5'1 and boy she runs fast.... more then me at 5'10! I'd agreed the person above; Speed comes with endurance :smile:
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Lots of top elite distance runners are quite short. Mo Farah is only 5'5.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    don't look at how fast you are going.. go for what works for you. I'm under 5 feet.. running can be fun, as long as you are only competing against yourself. Stop worrying about how fast you are going compared to someone else.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Shannon

Well, not really, running speed = stride length X stride frequency, and tipically shorter people can compensate their short stride with a higher frequency. No worries, keep on working out and you will improve :smile:
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm short legged. I'm slow. I don't necessarily think they are related. My 35 years of not exercising probably has more to do with it than my short legs. I wouldn't worry about speed. Just that you enjoy your run.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    5ft 2" here and my slowest running pace is 5 mph /My average walking pace is 4.25 mph ...I guess everyone's different regardless of the length of legs...
  • NovaDuck
    NovaDuck Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'3", however I don't find that matters much for my speed but my overall fitness definitely does. While my stride is not as long as some, my stride frequency is definitely more.

I'm fairly slow I guess, 12 min mile, but it has improved from almost 14 mins, so it's definitely not my legs! :D:D
    I'm short legged. I'm slow. I don't necessarily think they are related. My 35 years of not exercising probably has more to do with it than my short legs. I wouldn't worry about speed. Just that you enjoy your run.

Also, definitely that! :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I have been aiming for a cadence of three steps per second (right left right) and am jogging at about 4.7mph. Speed will come with endurance and increasing stride length, but the cadence can remain the same.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    5'4" and very short legs and longer torso and I do run fast. I do not have issues with being slow at all as I have run all my life and was on track team in college as a sprinter and did hurdles..
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all of the feedback. Based on what some of you have said, I wonder if shorter people burn more calories then? I mean, if we're having to take more strides to make up for shorter legs, wouldn't the calorie burn be higher? This really makes me curious, but also makes me laugh a little at myself.*LOL*

Shannon
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    sorry to burst your bubble but the shorter we are the less calories we burn unfortunately....same goes for the lighter we are the less we burn.