Not losing weight!

1235»

Replies

• Igotithear
    Igotithear Posts: 21 Member
    NinaRapp wrote: »
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    You had a baby in January, are breastfeeding, and are only eating 1200 cal per day, shooting for an aggressive 2 lb per week loss when you only have 40ish lbs to lose?

Why has no one commented on any of that?

Don't be surprised when your supply drops. Thatisall.

I was coming to say this. If you are breastfeeding (even part-time as you said), you need to make sure you are at least hitting your calorie target for the day. Or else your body typically stops making enough milk. I had to eat at a huge surplus to keep my milk supply up, and ended up with a 25lb gain when I stopped breastfeeding. Everyone's body is different, though. /anecdote

And OP how do you even have the energy to be going to the gym 4 days a week?? At 8-ish weeks postpartum, I was so tired I could barely make it up and down the stairs all day. Then the 4-month sleep regression...omg...basically I was exhausted for 6 months ;) so props to you for even having the energy!

Yeah, so breastfeeding is a whole other topic all together that I'd rather refrain from getting into. I understand the concern, however this is my third child and according to every lactation consultant I've talked to about supply, says eating does not affect supply. I disagree but that's what experts have told me. As far as energy there are days I do NOT want to go! Lol there's nothing more I'd rather do than be a lush and veg out at home except I only have until July to lose the weight before I will not have the time any more. Plus I'm tired of being fat! It effects the way I feel about myself and I enjoy working out and getting sweaty! Not to mention I get two hours a day away from the kids :)
  • Igotithear
    shmulyeng wrote: »
    Igotithear wrote: »

I see.. so for portions where the serving is in pieces, do the companies typically have corresponding weight info to accurately weigh?

Every solid has to be weighed. I've come across many products where the listed serving was x pieces but when I weighed it I found I was eating nearly two servings. All serving sizes will be in weight as well. That's more accurate. I was able to prove to many people that by not weighing solid foods they were eating nearly double of what they thought they were.

Interesting..
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    I understand being anxious to get the weight off (I have four kids myself). I'd be really skeptical of any lactation consultant who advised you that calories don't matter when bfing - the general guideline for lactating women is to eat about 1800 per day, and if, after doing that for a few weeks, you still aren't losing weight, you may be able to go as low as 1600 per day, with appropriate supervision of mom and baby, especially baby. Two lbs a week is generally advised against - most true experts suggest a more modest one lb per week loss for nursing mothers. Since you are supplementing it may not matter as much, just keep in mind that 1200 cal per day makes it extremely difficult to meet YOUR nutritional needs, much less to do that and make nutritious milk for a newborn. Even if your supply doesn't suffer, your health might.

Why the July deadline? What will happen if you "only" lose, say, 30 lbs by July? You say you won't have "time" to lose the weight after that... Will you have time to maintain your loss? Keep in mind whatever you did to lose the weight (very low calories, high intensity two hour workouts four days a week) will not be much different than what you need to do to maintain it... I don't mean to discourage you here, but it sounds like you may be setting yourself up for a rebound gain.
  • Igotithear
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    I understand being anxious to get the weight off (I have four kids myself). I'd be really skeptical of any lactation consultant who advised you that calories don't matter when bfing - the general guideline for lactating women is to eat about 1800 per day, and if, after doing that for a few weeks, you still aren't losing weight, you may be able to go as low as 1600 per day, with appropriate supervision of mom and baby, especially baby. Two lbs a week is generally advised against - most true experts suggest a more modest one lb per week loss for nursing mothers. Since you are supplementing it may not matter as much, just keep in mind that 1200 cal per day makes it extremely difficult to meet YOUR nutritional needs, much less to do that and make nutritious milk for a newborn. Even if your supply doesn't suffer, your health might.

Why the July deadline? What will happen if you "only" lose, say, 30 lbs by July? You say you won't have "time" to lose the weight after that... Will you have time to maintain your loss? Keep in mind whatever you did to lose the weight (very low calories, high intensity two hour workouts four days a week) will not be much different than what you need to do to maintain it... I don't mean to discourage you here, but it sounds like you may be setting yourself up for a rebound gain.

I understand the skepticism. The theory behind food intake is that the body has fat reserves that accumulate during pregnancy to maintain a supply. The handful of lactation consultants I've spoken with give an example of women in other countries who are undernourished and are still able to breast feed ( go figure). As far as my two hour work outs, they are not new for me. Last time I lost baby weight I did the same, then once I was done I resumed eating whatever I wanted and maintained so it does not concern me, however I appreciate the advice. Im a pre-med student and class resumes in July. I'll be taking an accelerated chemistry course during the summer then will require all of my time studying... That's why the deadline, plus I'm dying to get back to normal and wear clothes that fit :/
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Ah, okay, I hear ya on the deadline. And yes, starving women in developing nations do (sometimes) manage to produce enough to keep their babies from starving, BUT that's not exactly optimal, or even adequate (at least in my opinion - if you don't have to risk a malnourished baby, why would you... Sounds like a case of overzealous lactavists right there) especially wrt the quality of the milk, if not the quantity. Milk production and getting adequate nutrition are two separate things tho. That said, if you are already supplementing and are prepared to do more, or switch to formula altogether, then carry on. Having a super busy schedule while being a premed student wouldn't do wonders for your supply anyway ;). Good luck with your goals!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,742 Member
    edited March 2016
    I don't know exactly what happened, but I've lost about 4 pounds since this post. I didn't run out and buy a food scale (sorry I'm poor lol) and I didn't change anything to my routine, but I'm very ecstatic to see this new number! Thanks peeps!

That's probably the water weight coming off :smile: It's fun to see that big drop, but don't get discouraged if things slow down after this. Also, recognize that certain times of the month will have you showing a weight gain (water again, sometimes 2-5lb, at ovulation and when you get your period). It's tough to see the scale move upwards, but the downward trend is what matters. Consider using a website like Trendweight so that you can keep that in mind when the scale move upwards overnight!

Absolutely the water weight.

I skimmed, but didn't see anyone dust off the "weight loss isn't linear" platitude. We should, because it isn't. You just proved it. You'll fluctuate up/down day to day, or hold at a weight for a few days to 2-3 weeks, occasionally more. If you know you're in a deficit, be patient.

Many things can cause water retention: Healing (new workout/muscle repair, surgery, etc.); eating more carbs or salt than usual (even if still a sensible level of carbs or salt); eating at/over maintenance for a day or so; time of month; more.

Wait it out. Stay on course.

Don't ditch the HRM, by the way. Just use it with some wisdom and insight. When you start a new type of exercise, check its estimate against the MFP estimates and (if available) some activity-specific online calculators, and make a conservative estimate of your calorie expenditure for that exercise. If you put it in MFP as a custom exercise, MFP will scale that personal estimate according to the minutes you input, on subsequent uses.

In practice, I've found my HRM reasonably accurate for most forms of aerobic-and-beyond cardiovascular exercise, including intervals that don't involve long-ish complete stops. When the alternative is a generic source (like MFP) that has no clue how hard you're working at your Zumba, or intervals, or whatever, the HRM give you useful input. It's just not godlike. I don't find it useful for weight training, unless what's happening is more like a weighted cardio circuit kind of thing.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Two weeks is not long enough to determine anything with just a body weight scale. Just give it more time and focus on the process, the results will come later.
  • Igotithear
    Update: It's the end of week 5 and I'm down 10 pounds. I'm ecstatic! :#
  • Trinique34
    Trinique34 Posts: 53 Member
    CaitlinW19 wrote: »
    I must be the only one reading your post this way...are you eating back any of those exercise calories? You should be eating back at least half...

It sounds to me like you are undereating if I'm reading this right, which can cause you to hold on to weight. If I'm not reading this right, then disregard. :-)

Also, two and a half weeks isn't very long...it could very well be that you are gaining muscle which weighs more than fat. Measuring yourself instead of weighing is a better way to track progress if you are putting on muscle, showing you that you are getting more trim even if the scale doesn't show actual number loss.

Apparently.. And no I'm not eating back half what I burn... but according to everyone else I'm over eating... This is just confusing lol. Sounds like I should just toss the idea of eating any food period out the door :/

I just can't imagine from typically eating 2,000 calories plus daily that has maintained my weight to 1,200 or less most days, is not creating a deficit.

I work out 4-5 times a week, twice with a personal trainer. The first couple of weeks since being on MFP I gained weight eating less than 1200 cals a day. My trainer told me I need to eat more. The last two weeks I changed my calorie allowance to 1420 on mfp and have lost 1.5 one week and this week 2.5 lbs, 4 lbs in total from UPPING my calories by around 200.

Sounds like you are working out more than I am. Eat more! And eat the right things when you eat more, not junk. You have to give it a try for at least a couple of weeks to see results.

Good luck.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    I doubt you're over calories... for the amount that you are doing, you are probably eating too little. But you have just made a major diet change, and possibly a major exercise change (were you exercising this much before? muscle tissue will retain water to repair itself after exercise.) and two weeks is far too little time to conclude that what you are doing is not working.
  • antonina395
    antonina395 Posts: 5 Member
    If I were you i would stick to measurements. I have lost weight and still measured the same. Maybe you are doing too much cardio and the calories that the machine says you are burning are not accurate. Do not eat back the all of the calories that the machine says. Usually the calories the machine says I am burning I half it. I have lost weight mostly on calorie deficient on diet and a little exercise. I started losing inches when i focus on lifting weights, eating more protein, and doing cardio 15 to 30 minutes 3 to 5 times a week and sometimes i have taken a week off. Do not focus on the scale too much on a weekly basis. Focus on eating healthy. Also, some people are sensitive to sugar and carbs. If you are eating too much sugar and carbs and still within in your calorie deficit and not losing weight that could be the problem. Also, your body could be building muscle, so the weight on the scale is not an accurate reflection of your fitness level. Start fresh each week, this is a new week start fresh, do not get frustrated, in the long run, all your hard work will pay off.
  • Pam_1965
    Pam_1965 Posts: 137 Member
    My calories are set at 1200 which is the lowest a woman should go. I wasn't losing any weight until I started eating back some of my exercise calories. It is scary to add 200-300 calories, but it really makes a difference!