How to cope with pre-menstrual desire to eat everything?

Options
I have about 5 days before period arrives (7 days since ovulation, 12 day luteal phase) and today I want to eat everything, especially sweet things or things crammed full of carbs. Its not helped by the fact my youngest is still nursing and feeling poorly so is wanting to feed constantly as well (I'm assuming PMT hormones are also lowering supply).

Looking for strategies to cope. I've spent most of the last 6.5 yrs pregnant or breastfeeding and without cycles (this is 3rd one) so I can't really remember how I coped with cravings before this.... though I probably just ate as much chocolate as I could get my hands on.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Consider upping your calories for a few days. Whether it is all the way to maintenance or just by 200 calories, this can help prevent an over the top binge.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Tea. Lots and lots of flavored unsweetened tea. Keeps me busy and the combination of hot, flavored and acidic satisfies me.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I have yet to find an answer to this problem myself--- I feel for ya. Drinking more water seems to help a little.
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much with jemhh on this one. One Swiss Roll over your goal intake when the urge strikes is probably better than a whole pound of El Fudge cookies after you've been clawing at the furniture all day trying to stick strictly to your calorie count. Maybe even set your calorie goal just a smidge lower for the rest of the month so the extra 200-500 cals you have those couple of days average out?

Also, Abby inspired me to say: For keeping hydrated and resisting passing cravings I love to take a quart jar, dump a quarter or half cup of frozen berries into it, and fill it with hot or warm water. Then I get to drink the mild berry-flavored water, and get a sweet treat at the end.
  • trexsoup
    trexsoup Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    One little square or even a whole chocolate bar isn't going to hurt, along with lots and lots of water. I used to live in misery my whole menstrual cycle and didn't exercise. Cardio seems to really help during the most painful first, few days. Just treat yourself, hydrate frequently, and get some good exercise in so you don't feel worse for a longer period of time.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I say eat, just eat smartly. Lots of fruits and veggies, maybe low calorie snacks like mini rice cakes or something. If you're seriously craving something, have it within reason, or find a reasonable substitute. If you refuse to eat, you'll either be completely miserable or you'll end up binging on something you don't really want (though, if you binge, just journal it and move on). There's nothing wrong with being hungry, or with being kind to yourself.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helped me was to cut all refined/'white' carbs during that time... so no bread, no refined sugar, no potatoes and no rice. I haven't tried whole wheat pasta yet... It took me months to realize it, but if I even have a slice of toast with breakfast, I'm done for and will be craving carbs all day (and honestly my cravings are bad and I get very hungry, it's ugly).

So lots of meat, cheese, plain Greek yogurt, beans, veggies, and a bit of fruit. Whole grains like steel cut oats and Stevia seem ok too (but splenda = NOPE). I was shocked to actually manage to keep a deficit at that time last month doing that because I didn't have any cravings and wasn't really that hungry...

I actually need to switch back to that diet tomorrow and I'm really not looking forward to that... but it's better than the alternative. At least it's only 10 days a month for me (day 3 of TOM is safe to start eating more carbs again).
  • Tatiana269
    Tatiana269 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I make myself a nice cup of coffee... I use some Sugar-Free Hazelnut flavored creamer and sweeten it up with Splenda or Stevia..
    That usually helps me.. the caffeine helps with the hunger and the tastiness of the creamer and sweetness help with cravings with minimal calories.
    I also will usually buy those "100 calorie snack bags" and I'll snack on a few of those....