Bulking & Cutting??

Options
ASKyle
ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
How long are these cycles, typically? Is each generally the same length?

I was thinking of attempting, but I'm afraid it's too late in the season, and I'll end up at the height of a bulk right in time for summer.

Is it possible to shorten these cycles?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

I was thinking of attempting, but I'm afraid it's too late in the season, and I'll end up at the height of a bulk right in time for summer.

You want to extend the bulk cycle as long as possible which is why you want to start off very lean...I'm not sure what that is for a female, but a male ideally would want to be around 10% or less. IMO, you need to commit to a minimum of about 6 months for the bulk...I wouldn't consider anything less than that really worthwhile. You want to look at putting on a couple of Lbs per month. Realistically, you'd be looking at a 3 to 4 month cut afterwards as you'd want it to be pretty slow to maintain as much of your muscle mass as possible.

Is there any specific reason you're looking at doing this? There's nothing wrong with bulk and cut cycles, but the vast majority of people would simply benefit from eating well and focusing on their fitness and ultimately re-comping.

Also, if you are mentally in "diet mode" this would all really be a total mind *kitten* for you...you have to be done with the diet and exercise mentality and be in the eat and train mentality.

Most people I know who do these cycles will usually start in the fall sometime and bulk through the winter and then start cutting about now.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ASKyle wrote: »

You want to extend the bulk cycle as long as possible which is why you want to start off very lean...I'm not sure what that is for a female, but a male ideally would want to be around 10% or less. IMO, you need to commit to a minimum of about 6 months for the bulk...I wouldn't consider anything less than that really worthwhile. You want to look at putting on a couple of Lbs per month. Realistically, you'd be looking at a 3 to 4 month cut afterwards as you'd want it to be pretty slow to maintain as much of your muscle mass as possible.

Is there any specific reason you're looking at doing this? There's nothing wrong with bulk and cut cycles, but the vast majority of people would simply benefit from eating well and focusing on their fitness and ultimately re-comping.

Also, if you are mentally in "diet mode" this would all really be a total mind *kitten* for you...you have to be done with the diet and exercise mentality and be in the eat and train mentality.

Most people I know who do these cycles will usually start in the fall sometime and bulk through the winter and then start cutting about now.

I've been lifting like mad, staying within my calories most of the time, and getting 10k steps a day per my fitbit. I feel like I've just been spinning my wheels for so long, and would like to try something different.

Is the above considered a recomp? Or do you need to be eating at maintenance for that?