Is allowing 1 cheat day going to effect diet?

2»

Replies

• Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    I'd say, the IDEA of a cheat day ruins weight loss. IMO it's got to be a sustainable lifestyle. If I deprive myself, there's more change I will return to poor eating habits. I have over the past8 months trained my tastes to reject former 'cheat' foods. They are just a big disappointment now.

Moderation is the key.... :)
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Eating SURPLUS effect your diet.

95069916.png
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I wouldn't call it a cheat day. But I do have the odd day here and there that I eat up to my maintenance calories guilt free.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    "Overfeeding can have profound effects on leptin concentrations in the body. However, not all macronutrients are created equal. Fat overfeeding does not elicit the same leptin response as carbohydrate does. In fact, fat has virtually no effect on leptin concentrations, and in some cases even reduces leptin levels.14,15,16

Carbohydrates, on the other hand, have a positive impact on leptin.15,17,18 In fact, high-glycemic carbs (e.g., sugar) may be the sole reason for increases in leptin after meals.19 It should be noted that leptin does not particularly increase immediately after a meal per se, but does so anywhere from 4-48 hours after carbohydrate refeeding.1,17,20 In the short term, leptin concentrations are not affected and should be taken into account during planned refeeds."

From http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/refeeds-for-fat-loss-the-science-behind-leptin.html

Thanks for that reference.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    vada44 wrote: »
    I don't understand the whole cheat thing. If I want to go out to dinner or eat a slice of pizza how is that cheating. Just because I chose not to eat "healthy" for a meal, a day or a weekend does that mean I am cheating? And who am I cheating? Lifestyle change means I am going to eat what I want in moderation sometimes and sometimes not! Cheating implies to me that i am doing something bad!!!

+1
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    It's called...eating. I don't understand.

If you go over calories for the day by having a "cheat", it can effect your rate of loss.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    The big thing in my mind is not what happens during that one meal or even one day that you "cheat", but the days and weeks after. If you go right back to plan, that's one thing. If it turns into another meal, another day of "cheating" and throws off your habits you've built, that's bad.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    If you think of it as a cheat day, then yes, I guess that's a bad thing? But, that being said...

A pound increase or decrease is roughly 3,500 calories. So you'd have to "cheat" a lot of extra calories to see a 1 lb increase. I don't think I could eat 3,500 in a day anymore, let alone in one meal!

Now, do I make "allowances" to my meal choices once or twice a week now? You bet! Life was meant to be enjoyed, not endured! Last week I had pizza and a beer on Saturday night. 4 small squares of pizza and a Miller 64. Tracked it all, stayed in my calories for the day. No problem! Tonight I'm going out for a movie and Mexican food. I'll track it all, and I'm sure I'll stay within my calories if not real close to my goal. If I go over a bit, who cares?

Everything in moderation, and you can eat what you want as long as you stay within your goals. And if you go over a bit, just shrug it off. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
  • knittingbee928
    knittingbee928 Posts: 50 Member
    It sounds like the confusion for some posters (myself included) is this: what exactly do you mean by the word "cheat"?

If by "cheat" you mean "am I eating too many calories" then no, you are not cheating because you're still below the allotted amount of calories per day. Simple.

If by "cheat" you mean "am I cheating by eating unhealthy foods" then yes, perhaps in some sense it is considered cheating. FWIW, I agree with @vada44 and others who question the concept of cheating and I really like the point that @Dvdgzz makes: "I don't label my meals. There is a calorie surplus, deficit or maintenance. The word cheat implies something bad".

It sounds like the food itself isn't at the heart of your question because you're not overeating, but how you view it. It sounds like you strive to eat very healthy, and have a lot of self discipline to eat in moderation. Do you feel guilty when you eat less-than-healthy foods?

Everything in moderation, and you can eat what you want as long as you stay within your goals. And if you go over a bit, just shrug it off. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

This. ^^

• basesteel
    basesteel Posts: 9 Member
    I feel like you don't understand the concept of a cheat day. If you're still under your calorie goal, it's not really considered a cheat day. In fact fitting a little treat every once in awhile, can actually be beneficial to a diet. In my opinion, by not depriving yourself, you'll be less likely binge later on. That being said, it's your birthday, enjoy it. I mean don't go crazy eating all the foods (I mean you could if you want). But you shouldn't feel guilty about indulging on your birthday.

I second this. As long your meating your daily average caloric goals, you should be fine, all other things being normal. Happy B'day in advance!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    "Overfeeding can have profound effects on leptin concentrations in the body. However, not all macronutrients are created equal. Fat overfeeding does not elicit the same leptin response as carbohydrate does. In fact, fat has virtually no effect on leptin concentrations, and in some cases even reduces leptin levels.14,15,16

Carbohydrates, on the other hand, have a positive impact on leptin.15,17,18 In fact, high-glycemic carbs (e.g., sugar) may be the sole reason for increases in leptin after meals.19 It should be noted that leptin does not particularly increase immediately after a meal per se, but does so anywhere from 4-48 hours after carbohydrate refeeding.1,17,20 In the short term, leptin concentrations are not affected and should be taken into account during planned refeeds."

From http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/refeeds-for-fat-loss-the-science-behind-leptin.html

I read the link, could you make it real simple. If I wanted to try this what sort of foods would I eat for three days?
    Sounds fun, I like carbs.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    i don't believe in cheat days, I just eat what I want and make sure I meet calorie, micro, and macro targets…however, I don't understand how having 700 calories left over is anywhere close to a "cheat" day ….

This.

OP, you didn't cheat.

It's very concerning that you feel guilty about eating things you love. :/