What To Munch On In Large Amounts?

Options
2»

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    animalldy wrote: »
    I have 85g of carrots and 100g of cucumber almost everyday with my lunch, 50 calories. It fills me up and I like the crunch. When I get sick of cucumber I do snap peas.

I love the volume of veggies. My daily lunch salad is yuge! 1.5 pounds of lettuce, spinach, carrots, cucumbers, celery, onion, & tomatoes for 150 calories.
  • samanthamurphy070613
    Options
    I hate to say this but I love Pork skins they are low in everything except sodium :(
  • amclain93
    amclain93 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Gum! I l love ice breakers, the big sharing cup lasts me like three months! The act of chewing and blowing bubbles really cuts down my desire to snack. Plus, ten calories a piece for something that lasts all day is hard to beat!
  • rshaw11
    rshaw11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I roast chickpeas and measure them out and crunch away on them, one at a time. They are really filling and cut my snack cravings considerably.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    POPCORN!!!!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Raw vegetables. I did it when transitioning to no snacking.

Do you mind elaborating on your no snacking transition? I'd love to hear more about that.

I just realized that I tended to eat well at meals and that I was overeating due to mindless snacking at work. So I decided to cut out the snacking and eat only at mealtimes (sometimes I do a planned snack, depending on my workout schedule).

If I eat sensible, balanced meals with adequate calories (they tend to be about the same size -- 400 for breakfast, 500 for dinner, 500 for dessert, maybe 200 for a planned snack or after dinner dessert if I'm aiming for 1600), there's no reason I should be hungry between meals. I knew that I never was when I ate that way at school or when I was living at home growing up. It's just that I got into bad habits because of food being so easily available and around and a tendency toward stress eating. So that was something I knew mentally going into it.

If I wanted to eat between meals I simply thought about how delicious my next meal would be and that it wasn't that far away. At first the desire to munch was stronger so I allowed myself raw vegetables as a replacement, but that went away pretty quickly. I will have a cup of coffee instead of a snack, sometimes.

What I find is that when I'm in the habit of this I really don't think about eating outside of mealtimes (unless something really amazing comes up that I might make room for, as a rare thing). When I struggle is when I get out of the habit and have to get back into it (for example, I went on a week-long biking trip where we were eating all the time, since riding all the time, and when I came back I had that desire to continue to eat all day long, but I just had to focus and get back to my usual habits).

I know lots of people enjoy snacking or more small meals, but for me thinking of their being 3 mealtimes and other times not for food works best and I love it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Do you mind elaborating on your no snacking transition? I'd love to hear more about that.

+1

Do you truly only eat at mealtimes? I pre-log food between meals and after dinner. Would you consider that snacking?

I think a planned snack is different than letting yourself graze all day (for me) and functions more like a meal. I tend to eat dinner late -- I eat at 6 am, noon, and 9 pm most days, so if I do a mid-day workout I often do plan a snack for 5 pm or so, but I'd plan it, not just eat whatever is available at my office or even think about that stuff.

(For me, it actually works better not to have that snack, but then it's tougher to eat all my calories, so I've been experimenting with just having a bigger lunch.)
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    air
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I just bought an air popper and we have been enjoying popcorn nightly in my house. 1 cup is 20 calories. I'm also a huge fan of baby carrots with those 35 calorie laughing cow cheeses. Nice and crunchy. If I'm really needing something crunchy, chippy I'll have one serving and just save the calories for it. Some times a girl just needs some chips. I snack at night only. Too busy the rest of the time.
  • Summerberry1012
    Summerberry1012 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Tea! :)
    I realize it's not something to munch on but it's helped me quite a bit with my cravings. If you find a good brand it's almost addicting, and most are zero calories. (David's Tea & Stash are good brands) :)
  • Kristin2626
    Kristin2626 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Lowest in calories would be leafy greens like spinach, kale ad romaine -- not your typical snack food, but I have heard of people munching spinach right out of the bag (you can also roast with olive oil, but be careful how many calories you add!) Also good (and really addictive!) are SeaSnax, which are 15 calories a package -- they are roasted seaweed with olive oil and salt and they taste a lot like chips. Also, I drink a ton of unsweetened herbal iced tea, because I have an insane sweet tooth and I will literally overeat even fruit and blow my diet, that's how bad it is. Also, drink tons, especially no calorie beverages like water and tea. Generally I try to avoid snacking, but I always have to have some kind of sweet after a meal, so either tea or a single serving of fruit.
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thin slices of cucumber paired with fresh salsa--kind of chips and dip but less calories and salt!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Kale chips (using minimal oil) or brussel sprouts chips (peel them into separate leaves) and then roast in a hot oven are pretty good choices too, but my favourite is popcorn for the handfuls you can eat! I also like Kelloggs cracker chips - 80 calories for 20 grams and they come in all sorts of flavours, and they really speak to my potato chip issues!
  • gettingreallyfedupnow
    Options
    I snack on roasted cauliflower ....I can easily munch through a whole one!
  • dliv90
    dliv90 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Half-sour dill pickles -- huge, tasty, and 5 calories for each spear. You can't munch on more than a couple of these before your stomach explodes!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options

I just realized that I tended to eat well at meals and that I was overeating due to mindless snacking at work. So I decided to cut out the snacking and eat only at mealtimes (sometimes I do a planned snack, depending on my workout schedule).

If I eat sensible, balanced meals with adequate calories (they tend to be about the same size -- 400 for breakfast, 500 for dinner, 500 for dessert, maybe 200 for a planned snack or after dinner dessert if I'm aiming for 1600), there's no reason I should be hungry between meals. I knew that I never was when I ate that way at school or when I was living at home growing up. It's just that I got into bad habits because of food being so easily available and around and a tendency toward stress eating. So that was something I knew mentally going into it.

If I wanted to eat between meals I simply thought about how delicious my next meal would be and that it wasn't that far away. At first the desire to munch was stronger so I allowed myself raw vegetables as a replacement, but that went away pretty quickly. I will have a cup of coffee instead of a snack, sometimes.

What I find is that when I'm in the habit of this I really don't think about eating outside of mealtimes (unless something really amazing comes up that I might make room for, as a rare thing). When I struggle is when I get out of the habit and have to get back into it (for example, I went on a week-long biking trip where we were eating all the time, since riding all the time, and when I came back I had that desire to continue to eat all day long, but I just had to focus and get back to my usual habits).

I know lots of people enjoy snacking or more small meals, but for me thinking of their being 3 mealtimes and other times not for food works best and I love it.

Thank you for elaborating :) I too try to focus on 3 meals but luckily they are timed a lot closer together (9am, 12:30 or 1, dinner and dessert together around 4:30). I used to pre log snacks but now most days is rather save the calories for my meals and really enjoy it.
  • jyvonne27
    jyvonne27 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum does it for me.