Eating like a bodybuilder

Options
I love lifting, I want to be stacked. I have eaten clean, paleo, from scratch. If I lower carbs, I tend to overeat fat. I am finally throwing the towel. I will be trying a 30 fat, 30 carb, 40 protein using real foods, not packaged and to plan ahead. Clean protein and veggies!

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    you should post in the gaining weight forum
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I couldn't do Paleo. At least you will have a lot more choice..
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to build muscle, you need the carbs. There are some articles on www.muscleforlife.com regarding protein synthesis and carbs.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Clean protein

You should change the title to "Eating like a bodybuilder from the 1980s lol. What does that even mean "clean protein"? Protein is protein. If you want to talk protein quality, amino acid profile, or Bio-availability, that's one thing, but clean vs dirty, that's just nonsense. Stick to mainly animal sources of protein, set macro, micro, and fiber goals, and eat food. "Eating clean" is not going to get you any better results, it's more likely to get you an eating disorder lol. Sure, most of your intake should come from whole, minimally processed foods, but eat some foods you enjoy to keep your sanity. It won't make you unhealthy or hurt your results.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. I thought all you needed was a calorie surplus.

Calorie surplus, along with adequate protein intake, and heavy lifting.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    I'm a competitive bodybuilder, I don't eat "clean".
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I didn't see where the OP explicitly said they want to gain weight.

The macro split you posted sounds reasonable, but you may want to switch out 5% of protein for carbs (making it a 35c-30f-35p split).

Most bodybuilders cut carbs only when cutting to achieve a caloric deficit.