Muscle Mass % and Muscle Score

Options
Hi everyone,

I recently started using the Boditrax machine at my gym to track my progress, I also wanted to try and use the results to help 'fight an argument' with my doctor regarding BMI. I have found a lot of information regarding body fat %, BMR, visceral fat ratings and metabolic age, but there seems to be a lack of consistent information out there about muscle mass and muscle score.

I am female, 28yrs old, 5ft 5in tall & currently 85.28kg/188lbs. I have recently lost over 60lbs since September 2015 and work out 4-5 times a week. I have always worked out and do have a high muscle mass %. Most information I have seen states that women should have a muscle mass of around 28-39% depending on age/physical activity levels. Boditrax measured me at 64.4% muscle mass - I don't know if this is incorrect/reading it incorrectly or if this is possible/very high? The 'muscle score' it gives is 22 - I have no idea what this actually means though although it is in the 'green' section.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I think you're confusing what the suggested body fat percentage is with suggested lean mass.

This is body fat percentage suggestions.
    bodyfatchart.jpg

The method that is used to measure body fat by the Boditrax machine is not that accurate. It's called bioelectrical impedance.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    As stated above. The method you stated of measuring BMI is very inaccurate. Calipers or hydrostatic (underwater weighing), is far more accurate. The hydrostatic being the most accurate.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't rely on bioimpedance testing to get a solid estimate of bf%. Also, your doctor is going to use BMI standards to determine your health risks due to body fat simply because it's an established guide, their trained to use it, and it gives them a rudimentary and easy method to make health recommendations. BMI, in my opinion, is a joke and should be canned as a method to establish physical health and fitness because it's absolutely useless for athletic individuals, even though it may be useful to some extent for an average person. For example, at 6'0, I would have to get down to between 175 and 180 just to make it into the "normal" range. In order for me to do that, I would have to loose a good amount of muscle mass. So, you're doctor should use BMI as a guide but take other health factors into consideration. If you're wanting to argue with your doctor about BMI usage, the bioimpedance results are not very helpful.
  • MarieJ87
    MarieJ87 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - thank you for your comments. I understand what you are saying about this form of measuring body fat and muscle mass % not being all that accurate, however, I know BMI is BS lol and have had so many arguments with my doctor as I have muscle definition and do very intense workouts. However what I was trying to find out was actually healthy / target muscle mass %, not fat % :)
  • usmcmp
    Options
    MarieJ87 wrote: »
    Hi everyone - thank you for your comments. I understand what you are saying about this form of measuring body fat and muscle mass % not being all that accurate, however, I know BMI is BS lol and have had so many arguments with my doctor as I have muscle definition and do very intense workouts. However what I was trying to find out was actually healthy / target muscle mass %, not fat % :)

Technically you need to go off of body fat percentage. Lean mass includes everything that isn't fat. That's bones, organs, blood, water, muscle, and connective tissue. Determining your approximate body fat percentage is going to be far more accurate than trying to determine your muscle mass percentage, since all available methods cannot accurately differentiate between muscle and organs.

It is correct that BMI is BS, but the only people who tend to be overweight on the BMI scale and have "ideal" body fat or lower are competitive athletes (generally those who have used strength training to supplement their sport for multiple years).
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Technically you need to go off of body fat percentage. Lean mass includes everything that isn't fat. That's bones, organs, blood, water, muscle, and connective tissue. Determining your approximate body fat percentage is going to be far more accurate than trying to determine your muscle mass percentage, since all available methods cannot accurately differentiate between muscle and organs.

It is correct that BMI is BS, but the only people who tend to be overweight on the BMI scale and have "ideal" body fat or lower are competitive athletes (generally those who have used strength training to supplement their sport for multiple years).

Agreed. It is very difficult or next to impossible to determine your overall muscle mass with the methods that are available as you cannot completely exclude the mass of your organs. However, your doctor may not care to some extent whether your extra mass comes from muscle or fat as the medical field feels that excess weight in general is not healthy, whether it's muscle or fat, with fat being the thing that creates more health risks. Too much weight, from a doctor's perspective, is unhealthy and causes a strain on your bodies, bones, organs and other supportive structures.
  • MarieJ87
    Options
    Totally - I am not an athlete and still have around 38lbs to loose, however, I don't agree with the unrealistic targets of the doctors in loosing another 76lbs. The muscle mass thing was more for myself really, as well as being able to demonstrate that although my BMI is high there should be consideration for muscle. I have always weight trained and I am just getting into body building so it would also be good to track. Although I think I will follow the route of getting body fat % accurately tracked and work on that :) still new to a lot of this only 6/7 months into this new journey :wink:
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Totally - I am not an athlete and still have around 38lbs to loose, however, I don't agree with the unrealistic targets of the doctors in loosing another 76lbs. The muscle mass thing was more for myself really, as well as being able to demonstrate that although my BMI is high there should be consideration for muscle. I have always weight trained and I am just getting into body building so it would also be good to track. Although I think I will follow the route of getting body fat % accurately tracked and work on that :) still new to a lot of this only 6/7 months into this new journey :wink:

Losing another 38 pounds would put you right at a healthy BMI. At that point you can determine whether you want to or feel you should lose more. Doctors don't get a lot of training on nutrition and body composition, so they make their suggestions based on the generally accepted recommendations. I know my doctor saw that I was 5 pounds from being overweight and said I might want to lose weight, but I had just finished a bodybuilding competition two weeks before. Tell your doctor you understand their suggestions, but you'd like to focus on just getting to a normal BMI before considering lowering your weight further.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    According to stats, you lean weight is 121lbs. That's like female bodybuilder statis for lean mass based on your height.
    Most females I've measured for lean mass at that height (even athletic females) is 95lbs-110lbs of lean mass.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MarieJ87
    Options
    I emailed the Boditrax team as I have thought it was way too high and it does factor the water % into the muscle % which is doesn't explain! Although seems to be split across muscle, fat and bone readings which makes no sense!
  • MarieJ87
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Losing another 38 pounds would put you right at a healthy BMI. At that point you can determine whether you want to or feel you should lose more. Doctors don't get a lot of training on nutrition and body composition, so they make their suggestions based on the generally accepted recommendations. I know my doctor saw that I was 5 pounds from being overweight and said I might want to lose weight, but I had just finished a bodybuilding competition two weeks before. Tell your doctor you understand their suggestions, but you'd like to focus on just getting to a normal BMI before considering lowering your weight further.

Yes totally that's what I've set my initial goal at for the moment and see where that leaves me and how I feel etc

• Vockgarr
    Vockgarr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Old thread but would be interested to know what has happened since? Regards you initial question it doesn't seem like people were answering your main question with regards the actual muscle mass result you had. It is very high and no wonder it gave you a score of 22/24 for it. The average results I found for females measured were:

8ojgfe132bi8.jpg

So for 5'6 its giving muscle mass of 45.2 kg. So for you to be 5'5 and its reading you at 64.4% @ 85.28kg that brings your muscle mass out at 54.9kg of muscle mass. So well above average!