BMR or what MFP tells me???

Options
So I Googled BMR after seeing so many of you talk about it. My BMR is 1624 calories. I am a Jazzercise instructor and teach 4 classes a week where I between 600-650 calories a class (according to my Polar heart rate monitor). I did the Harris Benedict equation thing and put I am moderately active. This gave me around 2500 calories a day to maintain my weight. It told me to subtract 500 calories but no more than 1,000 to see a weight loss. If I just subtracted the 500 calories this puts me at 2000 calories a day. If I do the 1,000, I am at 1500.

MFP is telling me to lose 1.5 pounds a week I should eat 1400 calories a day.

What do I do?? Which number do I follow?

I am a former WW'er and lost 75 pounds on that plan but stalled out for a year. I really like MFP and would love to see the last 15-20 pounds come off. Thanks for your help and input!!

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Mfp is telling you to net 1400, not eat 1400. If you go with mfp as designed, log your exercise and eat the calories, you'll be eating the same thing (2000 cal).
  • alabbey
    alabbey Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I eat back the calories I burn on the days I work out. I was just curious about the days I don't work out. I didn't know if 1400 calories a day was too low for me. :smile:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    MFP does not include exercise when it calculates your needs, so that you would lose weight by diet alone if you did no exercise. When you do exercise, you need extra fuel for that, so you eat your MFP allotted calories PLUS exercise calories.

This should be somewhere in the same ballpark as your total needs minus the amount to lose.