Can't Meet My Daily Calorie Intake

Options
I'm having trouble meeting my calorie goal. I've been told by a few trainers now that in order for me to have optimal weight loss with the amount I'm exercising that I'm doing that I'm not eating enough high calorie/protein foods.

I have yogurt in the morning with fruit, a PACK of baby carrots through out the day, apple sauce, a turkey and cheese sandwich in the afternoons, a protein/veg/carb dinner and my vitamins. I don't feel hungry, starved, or tired.

Has anyone found a good source of low sugar, low sodium, high protein food/substitute?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Add some oats or another grain to breakfast, eat higher calorie snacks or add higher calorie items to your carrots (nuts/nut butter, guacamole, hummus), add more stuff to your sandwich, add fat to your dinner (oil, avocado, nuts), have a glass of wine or beer, add dessert (chocolate, ice cream, a cookie) to lunch or dinner.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble meeting my calorie goal. I've been told by a few trainers now that in order for me to have optimal weight loss with the amount I'm exercising that I'm doing that I'm not eating enough high calorie/protein foods.

I have yogurt in the morning with fruit, a PACK of baby carrots through out the day, apple sauce, a turkey and cheese sandwich in the afternoons, a protein/veg/carb dinner and my vitamins. I don't feel hungry, starved, or tired.

Has anyone found a good source of low sugar, low sodium, high protein food/substitute?

Try replacing the apple sauce with apple slices + PB. Add in a protein bar or shake. A handful of nuts. Add an avocado to your sandwich. Lots of little ways to get in extra healthy cals. Very important to feed your body when working out (not sure if you're heavy lifting, but if so, then it's even more important) so that it can heal and your muscles can grow, tone and strengthen.
  • Admired
    Admired Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I always just focus on having protein, veggies and water. If I go out to eat with the family, I find those 3 and fill up on those. Simple advice and easier to keep in mind.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Add more fat to your diet. Just to eat some protein/fat with all of your meals. Maybe add some avocado or mayo to your sandwich.
  • morganpalmer9
    morganpalmer9 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem for a while. I've started with oats for breakfast with peanut butter mixed in, which is a good calorie bump without you really noticing. Add hommus with your carrots, if you like that. I've also started snacking on 30g of walnuts with a tablespoon of dried cranberries, which isn't too filling if you aren't hungry and adds quite a bit of calories!

For me, the days I don't eat as much I tend not to feel hungry, but if I eat the calories I'm supposed to, I actually feel hungry!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Add some oats or another grain to breakfast, eat higher calorie snacks or add higher calorie items to your carrots (nuts/nut butter, guacamole, hummus), add more stuff to your sandwich, add fat to your dinner (oil, avocado, nuts), have a glass of wine or beer, add dessert (chocolate, ice cream, a cookie) to lunch or dinner.

^^This.

It's not that hard.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Man I wish I had this problem. But if you're short on calories and don't feel like eating much I always suggest peanut butter/other nut butter. Absolutely depressing how many calories are packing into a couple tablespoons. I guess that's why it tastes so good.