Makes no sense - goals in MFP vs. goals in Garin Connect

Options
gdrodge70
gdrodge70 Posts: 8 Member
So, I've even done spreadsheets to figure this out, and here's the thing:

1. You set calorie goals in MFP by selecting lifestyle and weight goals (I get this)
2. Then it gets copied into Garmin Connect
3. Your MFP goal is this goal + the adj. from Garmin
4. Your Garmin Connect goal is this goal + active calories
5. And active calories are always MORE than the adjustment.

So why do these differ? Why aren't active calories and the adjustment the same? Which should you go by? Garmin or MFP?

NEED HELP HERE!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    one thing to look at is that the two may not be using the same equations for BMR etc, so there's a difference in TDEE predictions even with no exercise. That difference impacts the adjustment.

I don't use Connect in the way you do so haven't validated that, but I see it with Fitbit. How big is the difference ?
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin device and if you're looking at calories left for the day and such, then go by MFP. I only look at my Connect when I'm logging an activity (and edit it after to make it more accurate- ie: treadmill running). But I go back to MFP after, sync up and go by what MFP says for calories left to eat that day.

I've noticed on Connect it will say I have, as an example, 235 calories left- then on MFP it says 207 or something like that- so since I'm logging my food on MFP I go by that number. Does that help and make sense?
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have frustrated the pure hell out of myself trying to figure that out and finally decided to just ignore it and go by MFP.
  • ashleyminnich1
    ashleyminnich1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have noticed that too. I ignore the Garmin calories left over unless I'm starving that day. Then, I may eat them. I'm still losing, so those few calories aren't an issue for me.
  • ashleyminnich1
    ashleyminnich1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have notice the MFP will give me more of those calories if my move bar is not on.