Getting closer to my running goal

Options
Today I was able to put in one mile of running during my treadmill workout. I was doing intervals, where I would walk 0.25 mile, run 0.25, etc. I was able to do the run interval four times, which totaled one mile! I've never put in a full mile of running before, so this is a big accomplishment for me.

My ultimate goal is to run a full mile without stopping for a walk break. I am well on my way. I can run about 0.65 mile before I need to slow down right now.

#SmallVictories

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I should add that I currently weigh 239 pounds, so this is no small feat. :smiley:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    great job
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    WTG!

I weighed about 235 when I started running and cold barely get around the block.......in May I'll running my 9th half-marathon and plan on a full in October.

Take your time progressing, focus on building your aerobic base & have fun!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    WTG!

I weighed about 235 when I started running and cold barely get around the block.......in May I'll running my 9th half-marathon and plan on a full in October.

Take your time progressing, focus on building your aerobic base & have fun!

This is the kind of stuff I like to hear. It gives me hope!
  • msujack
    msujack Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Great work. I play "mind games" on the treadmill. I start with 35 min (5 min warm up) then start my run (jog), tell myself I can go at least 2 min, then get to 5... I can make it to 1/3 of 30 min... Half way, etc. I was able to do a full 3.1K today (218lbs) after a couple weeks of running 3x/wk. It comes. You have to listen to your body, stretch, and add distances slowly, and run slower than you think you should.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

Also make sure you aren't going too fast on your "run" intervals. I am getting back into running after time off. I run 15 minute-miles. Basically no pace is too slow. You should be able to pass the "talk test" while jogging: keep up a conversation with someone without gasping for breath. You could probably run a lot longer if you slow down a bit. And don't worry, speed will come. Taking it slow now keeps you injury free and lets you keep jogging.