Losing weight all at once?

Options
Ive never been able to lose a lb or 2 a week. In my experience, i workout and in 2 to 3 months the weight (15-20 lbs) seems to melt off in a very short time. Does anybody know why this happens? Ive been working out for 2 months now and nothing yet...

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are not in a deficit?
  • vietscotdot
    vietscotdot Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So sorry, i dont understand.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Because working out means nothing for weight loss if you aren't consuming less energy than you are expending...you can do all kinds of exercise, but if you're consuming energy (calories) at a level which is commensurate with your activity level then you will simply maintain weight.

• vietscotdot
    Options
    Ive played with eating less and burning more, but still no loss. I actually seem to eat alot more and right around the 3 month mark, the weight just melts off. It doesnt seem normal to me.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Seems like an extreme form of woosh. Maybe your scale just doesn't do small adjustments? How old is it?
  • vietscotdot
    Options
    I got my scale last year. Its actually a pretty good scale. Has anybody else experienced anything like this?
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Experienced a plateau?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I am a whoosher as well. I do not currently have a scale, but I have peed so much this morning I wish I did have a weight from yesterday and one from tomorrow.

The important thing is to trust the process and stick with the program.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    This doesn't sound normal. Are you logging your foods and exercise to confirm a deficit?
  • mankars
    mankars Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Ive played with eating less and burning more, but still no loss. I actually seem to eat alot more and right around the 3 month mark, the weight just melts off. It doesnt seem normal to me.

"More calories ingested than your body needs/burns = Weight Gain" - The Universal Truth.

Which means your body will gain or lose weight on daily basis.

So, not sure how can you just melt off weight at just around third month.
  • vietscotdot
    Options
    I dont know what a whoosher is? Ive logged my foods in the past. Was pretty strict with weighing and proportions. And still same results. I can only assume im at a platuea and that i break through it? Thanks everyone for replies..
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Ive never been able to lose a lb or 2 a week. In my experience, i workout and in 2 to 3 months the weight (15-20 lbs) seems to melt off in a very short time. Does anybody know why this happens? Ive been working out for 2 months now and nothing yet...

You don't lose exactly X Lbs per week...nobody does...but if you typically drop say 20 Lbs over the course of 3 months...well, that averages out to 1.6 Lbs per week.

If you haven't lost any weight in two months this time around, then you are not in an energy deficit, regardless of whether you workout or not.
  • vietscotdot
    Options
    So its normal that the scale doesnt budge, then after a few months i suddenly drop 20 lbs? Thank ypu for the help, its all so confusing to me. I just want to be a healthy weight and do it the right way. Its hard not to see even a little progress in a month or 2.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear, we are not machines. Not sure what is confusing.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If I'm understanding correctly, you're saying that you eat in a deficit and don't lose for many weeks and then once ever 2-3 months you have a giant loss all at once. If so, that is unusual but not completely unheard of.
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Wait I'm confused...so it's perfectly normal to woosh, not lose weight for a few weeks/whatever, and then woosh again?

I'm asking because I woosh'd 20 pounds and now have been stuck. Although I have been traveling the last 4 weeks so the stickiness could be due to hotels, lack of sleep, schedules thrown off, etc.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I see it most frequently when I get serious about strength training. Your body stores water until it gets comfortable with the changes. If you haven't lost by the third month, then it is time to take a close look at what you are doing.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Wait I'm confused...so it's perfectly normal to woosh, not lose weight for a few weeks/whatever, and then woosh again?

I'm asking because I woosh'd 20 pounds and now have been stuck. Although I have been traveling the last 4 weeks so the stickiness could be due to hotels, lack of sleep, schedules thrown off, etc.

Yes that is normal. You need to learn what is normal for your body. I know that I do not have these long periods with no loss and then *whoosh* loss. So if I go three weeks without a change in weight, I drop my calories. If you know that you've been logging accurately and your activity level has been constant and that you are prone to dropping weight every 4 weeks, it wouldn't make sense to do what I do.
  • vietscotdot
    Options
    Thank you everyone, i feel i have a better understanding of how my body tends to lose weight. This is MY normal. I will keep doing what i do and see what happens in another few weeks.