Macros while Recompositioning

Options
I posted a few days ago that I've lost all the weight that I needed to and will be starting body recomposition as my body fat is still 27.5%. In my initial post some users suggested that my protein calculation sounded too high; I adjusted it, but I'm beginning to wonder if the whole formula/calculator I used was just wrong.

I am 5'6" and 135 pounds, and as I said 27.5% body fat (apple shape, so I'm told this number could be somewhat distorted because of that). On days I work out, my calculations were 202 grams of carbs and 35 grams of fat. The fat will be hard for me, but I think I might be able to make it work if I try hard.

On days I don't do weight training, my numbers were 58 grams of fat and 47 grams of carbs. The carbs seem really low to me. I eat mostly whole grains and can easily max at the 47 grams with a couple of slices of wheat bread and cereal. I'll make them work if I need to, but since my protein calculations were off, I just want to make sure these are right.

Your thoughts?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Why not set your protein to about 100 grams and then just let carbs and fat fall where they will?
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I would try keeping carbs close to 100 grams. And protein slightly more or less depending on your calories. Fats less than 50 grams.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    ek786786 wrote: »
    I would try keeping carbs close to 100 grams. And protein slightly more or less depending on your calories. Fats less than 50 grams.

Why?
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    On all days? Or training days vs non-workout days?
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The only reason to vary your carb target based on workout schedule is if you are trying to eat primal or keto, and attempting a "re-feed" to do timed glycogen loading, allowing higher performance workouts. This really only makes sense for someone very intensely training, using a body building routine as opposed to strength.

Various research studies have show that 1.2-1.5g protein/kg of weight is valuable for someone trying to spare muscle while on a deficit, or trying to gain during a recomp or bulk. There are also studies indicating excessive amounts of protein cause kidney issues/damage, and no clinical studies indicating a benefit by eating more than ~1.5g/kg. Therefore, your reasonable max target for protein should be ~ 92g/day.

You need 30-35g of fat ( the right kinds ) for basic metabolic function, including normal hormone regulation and production.

92g*4=368
    35g*9=315
    You didn't provide your age, but Sed rate for 35 yr with your stats is ~1585 to maintain ( recomp ... ).

Which leaves you with basically 900 calories a day to assign to carbs and/or additional fats. Thats equivalent to 100g more of fat, 225g of carbs, or some combination making that total ( 1g carbs ~4 cal, 1g fat ~9 cal )

If your eating a TAD, you can reasonably cap protein at 25% to hit target ( 23% and change if you have the paid version ), set your fat to 25%-40%, and set the remainder balance for carbs (50-35%). Plan and eat around that every day, and you would be fine. No need for special on/off day macro targets.

Monitor for a couple weeks, then check and determine how much of your exercise cals you need to eat back to continue to maintain, and your golden.