Eating out- logging Mexican

Options
Quick question- when you log Mexican food... I usually order grilled fish tacos but I keep finding really conflicting totals for grilled fish tacos in the database, from 300 for 2 tacos to 398 for 1 taco! How do I know which one to choose?? Usually it's just the grilled fish, cabbage, salsa Fresca, a corn tortilla, and I get the white sauce on the side and just use a tiny bit... How would you log that?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I would find the individual items in the database and estimate from there.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i base them off my own recipe which runs around 250 per taco, including guac or avacado

tortillas have a lot of cals ;)

better to err on the side of caution
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I usually provide my best guess based upon size, ingredients etc... Sometimes I estimate the amount of the various ingredients. At other times I look up an analog in a restaurant that reports nutrition. Without knowing how big yours were my guess is the small estimate is low, and the 398 is high. When I make swordfish tacos at home in a big 160 calorie flour tortilla they usually net out at around 400 when I weigh everything. But these are huge tacos.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    There is no way to know unless you are cooking everything yourself and weighing/measuring each ingredient.

Authentic Mexican food can have ALL KINDS of stuff in it that you might not imagine which can increase calorie content.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah I break it down by individual items. I guess on the oz of meat, then add oil depend on how it was cooked. I log a certain amount of grams for the vegetables and pick a higher entry for the tortillas to be safe. Look up sauces and overestimate a bit. When I log guacamole I usually log the grams of avocado because I've been weighing it for so long I can get a better guess that way.