3 weeks low calories, high exercise, no weight loss?????

Options
2»

Replies

• rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Three things- your calorie net may or may not be too low, but I don't have the time to figure it out.

Second and most import things--- three weeks is hardly enough time to be able to judge your progress. Keep doing what you're doing and then if you haven't lost any weight, body fat OR inches in three MONTHS, then you can start to try to pinpoint what your issue may be.

Third- take measurements. From your profile, you do not seem to be obese, so your weight is probably not going to jump a whole lot at one time. Use your measurements to track progress.

KEEP AT IT.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Hi, i am usually a fairly inactive person and weight 91-93kg, 6 foot.
    But for the last 3 weeks i have been trying really hard to lose weight.
    According to the app, i needed to cut my calories to 1500 per day to lose 1kg per week. I have been doing this but also on top i have been running 10k, 4 times per week.
    According to nike running app, i am burbing 935 calories per run.

So my net calorie intake after excercise has been 500-1200 calories per day and i am not loosing any weight!

Please help this is crazy, i have started playing football instesd of one run as my knee is getting painful and i will also substitute a run for a swim soon. But please help. This is killing me.
    Thanks
    George

Have you tried water jogging? All of the benefits of jogging without the joint stress.

And the added bonus is you can work out and not get all sweaty. ;)

The other thing I'd recommend is weighing all your food. A digital scale is the best investment you'll make. :)
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Hi, i am usually a fairly inactive person and weight 91-93kg, 6 foot.
    But for the last 3 weeks i have been trying really hard to lose weight.
    According to the app, i needed to cut my calories to 1500 per day to lose 1kg per week. I have been doing this but also on top i have been running 10k, 4 times per week.
    According to nike running app, i am burbing 935 calories per run.

So my net calorie intake after excercise has been 500-1200 calories per day and i am not loosing any weight!

Please help this is crazy, i have started playing football instesd of one run as my knee is getting painful and i will also substitute a run for a swim soon. But please help. This is killing me.
    Thanks
    George

(1) Get a food scale. Weigh everything (rice, cookies, bread, oats, peanut butter, butter). Only thing you can measure is liquid.
    (2) Did you go from no activity to suddenly running 6 miles 4x a week? That's probably why you hurt your knee. It's irrelevant to your weight loss, but next time you start an activity make sure to ease into it.
    (3) Change your settings back to 1 lb a week or .5 lb a week. Sounds like you set it to 2 lbs a week and that's why it dropped you down to 1500. You are probably logging inaccurately because you are hungry from eating too little.
    (4) Don't eat back all your exercise calories. In my personal experience, MFP, running apps, running calculators, and even my Heart Rate Monitor all OVERestimate calories I burn. Change your settings to 1 lb a week and eat back only 50% of what you are reporting you burn.
    (5) Give it more time. If you just started working out your muscles hang on to water in order to repair themselves. Could be masking weight loss.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    hi. this is a chart. the chart is good. the chart is helpful. read the chart. :P

50g9hrg1z7ba.jpg
    1.jpg 135.4K
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I will second the chart being a helpful tool. Take notes on it, because it's information that should be referred back to more than once.
    Some of the ideas in this thread are not as helpful as others - if you are not losing weight, eating more is not the answer. Just be patient and use the food scale, logging your calorie intake, and sticking to your calorie goals once you've determined the appropriate NET goal for yourself. I say NET because you were eating less than you needed when you were starting at 1500 and then running off nearly another 1000 calories. you should have been at 1500 after the 1000 calorie run, if that's the appropriate goal for your height and weight.
    Again, just be patient and give it time.
  • Ineed2toneup
    Ineed2toneup Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Running is good but you might need some strength training in there too as muscle benefits your metabolic rate - making you a fat burning machine!

Have you considered intermittent fasting? Google it and check it out.
  • kay_norton
    kay_norton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    George,
    You gotta "eat to compete!" Take in the maximum amount of calories that you're allotted and consume them in small, frequent meals throughout the day (with 2 of them being you pre and post workout snacks, about 20-30 min before and after you exercise).
    Also add weight training to your exercise regime! Muscle burns way more calories than fat, and continues to burn calories after you work out (while they're recovering).
    Fasting once in a while as a detox is never a bad thing, but restricting the way you are is doing more harm to your body than good.

Cheers.
    Kay
  • mccindy72
    Options
    kay_norton wrote: »
    George,
    You gotta "eat to compete!" Take in the maximum amount of calories that you're allotted and consume them in small, frequent meals throughout the day (with 2 of them being you pre and post workout snacks, about 20-30 min before and after you exercise).
    Also add weight training to your exercise regime! Muscle burns way more calories than fat, and continues to burn calories after you work out (while they're recovering).
    Fasting once in a while as a detox is never a bad thing, but restricting the way you are is doing more harm to your body than good.

Cheers.
    Kay

Not really. Eating foods that are more satiating with regular meals will eliminate the need to snack throughout the day (lean protein and fats prove satiating to most people) and can eliminate bingeing for most people.
    And 'detox' - no, just no. Detoxing is done by the liver and kidneys. Fasting can be done for different reasons, but it does nothing for 'detoxing'.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    hi. this is a chart. the chart is good. the chart is helpful. read the chart. :P

50g9hrg1z7ba.jpg

Great advice!
  • mccindy72
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    rbfdac wrote: »
    Three things- your calorie net may or may not be too low, but I don't have the time to figure it out.

Second and most import things--- three weeks is hardly enough time to be able to judge your progress. Keep doing what you're doing and then if you haven't lost any weight, body fat OR inches in three MONTHS, then you can start to try to pinpoint what your issue may be.

Third- take measurements. From your profile, you do not seem to be obese, so your weight is probably not going to jump a whole lot at one time. Use your measurements to track progress.

KEEP AT IT.

[

Not a fan of this chart. The "eat less, exercise more" can cause major health issues for some. Eating 1500 a day and burning 900+ in exercise isn't healthy. OP needs to check BMR and TDEE calculators. Chances are his BMR alone is higher than 1500.

The chart is good information. It's the MFP user's responsibility to research and ensure that the numbers he/shes is using are correct. Knowing what net calories are is important, as is asking questions- many people are told, over and over, to eat back exercise calories. It doesn't say anywhere on this chart not to eat back exercise calories.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    rbfdac wrote: »

KEEP AT IT.

[

Not a fan of this chart. The "eat less, exercise more" can cause major health issues for some. Eating 1500 a day and burning 900+ in exercise isn't healthy. OP needs to check BMR and TDEE calculators. Chances are his BMR alone is higher than 1500.

The chart is good information. It's the MFP user's responsibility to research and ensure that the numbers he/shes is using are correct. Knowing what net calories are is important, as is asking questions- many people are told, over and over, to eat back exercise calories. It doesn't say anywhere on this chart not to eat back exercise calories.

Exactly. Nothing in that chart implies to eat less food while exercising more to create a greater calorie deficit. The chart was created because, to be honest, most people really suck at estimating their food portions. There is post after post here about people who haven't lost weight and in the end it's usually one of the following situations:
    • The person is overestimating their exercise burns, underestimating how much they eat, or some combination which is resulting in canceling out their calorie deficit.
    • The person has an inaccurate/incomplete food log or failed to mention their cheat day once per week in which they canceled out their deficit.
    • The person is being impatient and it's only been a few days.
    • The person is losing weight, but wants to lose at an unrealistic rate of five pounds per week so therefore they're not losing weight in their mind.
    • The person is holding some water weight and freaked out about an overnight scale increase and think they actually gained 1-5 pounds overnight.

That chart is incredibly useful and gets to the point for most situations.
  • Georgebennett106
    Georgebennett106 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For all those who say a generic, it is because you are over estimating or underestimating...
    Unless the supermarket is giving me more then they say they are (which i highly doubt) then i cant be far off.
    I am not eating complicated food, in hong kong we tend buy food from veg stall and butchers.
    I havrnt eaten a premade meal in 3 years. We dont eat lots of sauces, which are hard to estimate. All my food is simple, the most complicated thing i have had was last night, i had home made pork and leak dumplings
    The only sauce i eat is home made olive oil based mayonnaise and chili oil.
    Even if i am overestimating my exercise, and underestimating my calorie intake, my estimated deficit is 500-1000 calaories a day off my bmr. I cant imagine how i can be 250+ off my exercise per day and 250+ off my consumption.

My only explaination is that i am putting on muscle at the same rate as i am losing fat.
    At least i feel a lot healthier..
    I am now going to mix up my exercise,
    Monday, strength training.
    Tuesday running (just did 10k, 58.52mins, a pb)
    Wednesday break
    Thursday swim 1.5km
    Friday soccer. 1hr 15mins.
    Weekend break.

Lets see how i get on, in the next few weeks/month.

Thanks all who have been helpful and given some unprejudiced advice.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    For all those who say a generic, it is because you are over estimating or underestimating...
    Unless the supermarket is giving me more then they say they are (which i highly doubt) then i cant be far off.
    I am not eating complicated food, in hong kong we tend buy food from veg stall and butchers.
    I havrnt eaten a premade meal in 3 years. We dont eat lots of sauces, which are hard to estimate. All my food is simple, the most complicated thing i have had was last night, i had home made pork and leak dumplings
    The only sauce i eat is home made olive oil based mayonnaise and chili oil.
    Even if i am overestimating my exercise, and underestimating my calorie intake, my estimated deficit is 500-1000 calaories a day off my bmr. I cant imagine how i can be 250+ off my exercise per day and 250+ off my consumption.

My only explaination is that i am putting on muscle at the same rate as i am losing fat.
    At least i feel a lot healthier..
    I am now going to mix up my exercise,
    Monday, strength training.
    Tuesday running (just did 10k, 58.52mins, a pb)
    Wednesday break
    Thursday swim 1.5km
    Friday soccer. 1hr 15mins.
    Weekend break.

Lets see how i get on, in the next few weeks/month.

Thanks all who have been helpful and given some unprejudiced advice.

you said your deficit is 500-1000 calories off your BMR so,then you are eating less than your BMR? which should not be happening. unless you meant less than your TDEE. BMR is what your body burns just by being alive and you shouldnt eat under that.if you are eating less than maintenance calories,I doubt you are building muscle(that happens in a surplus except for newbie gains which will be slight and will taper off,not to mention only weight training once a week isnt going to make that happen).and yes it is possible to be off by 250+ calories a day.especially if you pick incorrect entries or dont weigh your food. how are you measuring your exercise calories burned?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, in all seriousness, if you have truly been netting between 500-1200 cals per day as a 6' male for 3 weeks and are not starving and losing weight quickly, you should probably see a doctor.

There is no way you are building muscle rapidly enough to offset the weight you should be losing eating that little. You need to give your body fuel in order for it to build muscle, it can't make muscle out of nothing.

Any other advice I would give you, you have already dismissed, and have already said a food scale is unnecessary. It wasn't for me, it was a difference maker for me.

Best of luck, I hope you figure it out.