burning calories

Options
How is that people burn 200-500 calories walking or exercising for 20-30 min & i only burn 120 when i use the eliptical for 30min?

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    If it's not inaccurate calorie burns (they can be wildly inaccurate), then it's body weight. Someone who weighs 120kgs will need more effort & burn more calories on the same walk as someone who is 60kgs.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    depends on weight, intensity, duration, etc

i burn around 450 or so in an hour on the elliptical. the machine tells me i burned far more, though lol
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    People often overestimate how much they are burning. Especially on MFP. Also people of different sizes or fitness levels will burn different amounts. But I do see people on here all the time logging insanely high calories for very little exercise. They're also usually the same ones posting to ask why they aren't losing any weight.
  • veliia
    veliia Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    How do you know how many calories your burning? I just go by what my eliptical is saying & it says 120 every time I use it lol idk if it is because of the program or what it is lol
    depends on weight, intensity, duration, etc

i burn around 450 or so in an hour on the elliptical. the machine tells me i burned far more, though lol

• veliia
    Options
    Yess,i always how they get such a huge number walking for a few minutes when I'm dying for 30min to burn 120 calories lol. Thanks i didnt know your size mattered when lossing calories
    People often overestimate how much they are burning. Especially on MFP. Also people of different sizes or fitness levels will burn different amounts. But I do see people on here all the time logging insanely high calories for very little exercise. They're also usually the same ones posting to ask why they aren't losing any weight.

• veliia
    Options
    Thanks! I didnt know your weight could have something to do with it. It's good to know lol.
    KateTii wrote: »
    If it's not inaccurate calorie burns (they can be wildly inaccurate), then it's body weight. Someone who weighs 120kgs will need more effort & burn more calories on the same walk as someone who is 60kgs.