potatoes

Options
Are boiled potatoes a yes or no wen trying to lose weight?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If they fit in your calories.

I like potatoes and ate them quite a bit with dinner when losing. Still do.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    veliia wrote: »
    Are boiled potatoes a yes or no wen trying to lose weight?

As long as you can fit it into your calorie goal, go for it.

Why would potatoes be a "no"?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Can you eat them plain? Without adding a ton of butter, sour cream, bacon, tons of cheese?
    Then yes, its a good food for losing weight.
    A med potato can be just 150 calories, 4 grams of fiber, lots of vitamin C, B6, and loaded with potassium.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yes if they fit into your calories!

I love boiled potatoes, or baked Yukon gold potatoes with a little smart balance salt and pepper.

I eat potatoes and still lose, if they fit into my goals.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Boiled sweet potatoes. ..yes.
  • veliia
    veliia Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! People are always saying it's a no when loosing weight because they have a lot of carbs.
  • veliia
    veliia Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    All through they won't taste as good my plan is to eat them plain :)
    Can you eat them plain? Without adding a ton of butter, sour cream, bacon, tons of cheese?
    A med potato can be just 150 calories, 4 grams of fiber, lots of vitamin C, B6, and loaded with potassium.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    They have a lot of calories and carbs, but they aren't very high in nutrition and they tend not to be very filling.

No food is an absolute "no" if you are trying to lose weight, but some are better choices than others.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    4 days a week I eat 2 baked potatoes with my dinner. I'm losing just fine. As long as they fit your calories they're not going to hinder your efforts.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    One small potato has over 700 mg of potassium and is high in vitamin C!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If it fits your calorie goal and you want them than eat them. I eat potatoes in different forms all the time and have lost weight. I find them very filling.
    If you don't want to add calories to your potatoes you can still sprinkle them with garlic, vinegar, salt, pepper or herbs.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Actually, we were just talking about how they score super well on the satiety tests/indices over in the Nutrition Debate forum. I find that I can eat quite a lot of potatoes for not many calories at all, so I would not agree that they are high cal, either.

I mostly like them roasted with the skin on, just a little salt and olive oil -- so good!
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Emphatically yes!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I find them very filling. I just had one tonight baked with laughing cow cheese, some sliced turkey breast, and cottage cheese. It was fabulous.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are loaded with excellent nutrients. I include them in my food plan. Love them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! People are always saying it's a no when loosing weight because they have a lot of carbs.
    These are people you don't need to listen to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Calories vs calories out. If you eat less than your body needs to maintain, you'll lose weight.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If you eat enough potatoes they will have a lot of nutrition value and will be very filling. So feel free to eat as many as you can fit in your calories. Potatoes are pretty much a super food.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options

If you're planning to eat them plain: instead of just boiling the potatoes, try cutting them up raw and throwing them in the oven for 30-40 minutes. (200°c/400F) That way the cut up slices become super puffy and french fry-like without adding any oil or salt! If you want to be extra fancy, you can take them out at the 15 minute mark and flip them around, then put them back in for another 15 min. This is now my FAVORITE way to eat potatoes!
  • lemurcat12
    Options

If you're planning to eat them plain: instead of just boiling the potatoes, try cutting them up raw and throwing them in the oven for 30-40 minutes. (200°c/400F) That way the cut up slices become super puffy and french fry-like without adding any oil or salt! If you want to be extra fancy, you can take them out at the 15 minute mark and flip them around, then put them back in for another 15 min. This is now my FAVORITE way to eat potatoes!

This is similar to my favorite way, except I add a spritz of oil and some salt. (And sometimes garlic.)

I definitely keep the skin on, as that's where lots of the nutrition is.

They also taste good with 0% Fage greek yogurt if one is a sour cream fan.

For boiled/mashed potatoes, which I do rarely, I do add a bit of butter, just not a lot. If you don't add too much it's not all that high cal.