Smokers & Ex-Smokers

Options
Looking to add fellow smokers and ex-smokers as friends. I'm working on kicking the habit and it would be nice to have support to help fight through this. Feel free to add me... Even if you're not/weren't a smoker

Replies

• toniacoulter
    toniacoulter Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm an ex cigarette smoker, moved to e-cigs 5 years ago in order to kick the habit - now I'm hooked on e-cigs! Not sure if thats a better or worse habit! Good luck, everyone is different when it comes to kicking habits, but when you're ready, you'll do it!
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    When I was here before in 2012 I quit and lost 50lbs. Then I had a baby and started back smoking like an idiot during the "I'm never going to sleep again OMG phase" but I'm back to lose the weight I gained back and I am 10 days in with quitting smoking. It's hard but you can totally do it WHEN you are ready. It has to be when you are ready. I found that I have better luck when I start running again because I want to be able to breath to do that so it helps. And I also use the quit now app on my phone that shows my health improvements and monetary savings. Add me if you want!
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm a smoker, although I have got an e-cig and have so far managed to cut the ciggys down from 15-20 a day to usually just 1 a day, and then a few more over the weekend (can't resist when i've got a glass of wine in my hand!). I've started running again too, and am seriously of the mindset that I MUST ditch the cigs if i'm going to make the running easier on myself. :smile:
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I quit 10 years ago...I think it was 10... LOL
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I quit 3 years ago, cold turkey.
  • triciatichu
    triciatichu Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of quitting as well. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • cathed42
    cathed42 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I used to be a smoker, but one day I just realized that it was stupid to be making myself look good on the outside while I was killing myself on the inside, so I just quit. I know it's harder than it sounds, but for me, even after 30 years, it wasn't. I just started focusing on why I was doing it and I don't miss it a bit.

That's great you are an inspiration to others - I don't smoke and never have so I suppose it's easy for me to say this but I don't get it - it smells bad it can kill you and it's expensive - what's to like????
  • Weaz66
    Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request. I, too, smoke and I'm in the midst of trying to quit. Fell free to add me. Anyone feel free to add me, the more support we have with each other the better.
  • percolater
    percolater Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I quit a long time ago, but I still remember it as the hardest thing I ever did. I used the nicotine patches. I'm sure I couldn't have done it without them because I had tried and couldn't sleep for the nightmares. I had smoked two packs a year for a long time so my brain was well and truly hooked on nicotine.

You can do it. Just make it your top priority for a while and it will get easier every day.
  • TheFitLifeOfDan
    TheFitLifeOfDan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Aye everybody! I just quit a little over a month ago. I've fallen a couple of times since but I was a pack a day smoker before. I knew I needed to quit but the motivation didn't come until I tried to workout and couldn't recover fast enough to get the best results. My boss challenged me to wear a patch and those 1st 3 days sucked but 5 weeks later....I've lost 8lbs and I can run 3 miles. Just commit to it and you will succeed!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 23 years but quit almost 11 years ago...BEST thing I ever did for MYSELF! Hubby still smokes, like a chimney, but I'm hoping eventually my example will help him to cut it out too. It took me ELEVEN tries before I actually got the quitting thing down...the patch helped a bit to start me off, but the brain is the best tool for self discipline in the long run. Feel free to add me, I'm a huge advocate of quitting for ANY reason! Much love! xo
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    On February 11th, 9 years ago, I was soooooo sick with a really bad cold. I was coughing until I was blue. I couldn't breath and I just knew I was going to die and I was smoking cigarette after cigarette crying and coughing all at the same time. It was my "light bulb moment". I wrote the date on my cigarette package and put them in a drawer and never smoked again. It's true, when you're ready you'll do it. This past year with the help from MFP I've lost 46 pounds. My Primary Care doctor says I'm in better fitness than he is and I'm much older than him. It all starts with a step forward. :)
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I smoked from age 18 until I was 33. I tried quiting several times and couldn't make it past the three month mark, then I was ready and stayed stopped. Itwas very hard for me. I enjoyed breathing deeply again, the freedom from ashtrays was great. I had to jump up after meals and get busy. I had a lot of emotional garbage that started being verbalized without the smokes to stop the flow of words I had really wanted to say all those years. It was a bit of an awakening for me on several levels and now I see it as a turning point in my life. Been quit now for over 30 years. After the first year of being off them I've rarely thought about picking up a cigarette again. When I do have one of those thoughts, my next thought is "are you nuts?"
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I quit 9/8/2010 cold turkey. I was having surgery a month later and my dr said I needed to quit in order to heal successfully. I'd smoked for over 20 years before that with a few tries at quitting lasting several years but this time I was done. I didn't enjoy the taste, I hated the smell, I was totally ready. I don't miss it, can't stand being around it, so happy I quit!
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I quit over 10 years ago. While I was going through it, I spent a lot of time on WhyQuit.com They have great forums, similar to MFP and lots of support and advice. You can do it!
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I quit too. I had to go cold turkey.

I imagined the "voice" trying to lure me back as a scary, icky, slimy creature speaking to me. Kind of like you do with OCD. It worked like a charm.

I also took "smoke breaks" with people and stood by them when they smoked to desensitize myself.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking around 6 years ago with e-cigs when they were still fairly new and rare. I quit e-cigs over a year ago after using them for around 4-5 years. I smoked for 22 years before quitting using e-cigs. Even though I no longer use them I support users of them any chance I get. I also quit by slowly reducing my nicotine levels to 0 and made my own e-juice for years. If anyone has questions or wants to know what helped me and what did not feel free to ask.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 13 years and tried on-and-off to quit for 9 of those. I truly believed I would never quit, and so did everyone in my life. I tried cold turkey, patches, gum, ecigs. I have asthma, couldn't work out, was on medication for it, had a couple ER visits, and STILL couldn't quit. I finally quit for good about 6 months ago, cold turkey. I was finally ready and just sick of letting cigs control my life. I normally would never ever say something like "this book was the key!" BUT my husband and I both found Allen Carr's "Easy Way to Quit Smoking" extremely helpful, simply because it really gives you a new way to think about everything, from smoking to quitting. You're encouraged to smoke while reading it but you don't have to of course. I only read it because I felt desperate and I figured it couldn't hurt, but I'm so glad I did! I get tempted once in a while but I know it's all in my head- the physical nicotine addiction is long gone- so I remind myself how awful that addiction was and think about the things I gained by quitting (be able to hike, garden, work out, etc.), and it helps remind me why smoking just isn't worth it. Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • orochiwarrior
    orochiwarrior Posts: 97 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I quit smoking about 8 and a half years ago. I decided to quit after I noticed how much it had taken over my life.