My journey over 48 years

Hey there...I wanted to tell you about my experience with weight loss so it may help someone out there. Briefly...born chubby; overeating became a bad habit early in life; gained weight through preteen years; continued slightly overweight in teen years; lost weight to a good weight because of poor eating habits in college; gained weight after marriage and having children; reached top weight (215lbs.) while pregnant with 3rd child (1996) and also then LOST 45lbs. during that time by following "hunger and fullness" theory (listening to body's hunger signals which frees you from wondering how much you should or should not eat daily). I then gained all back because I wasn't exercising and did not want to give up the food. I became more determined to try again to lose the weight when I got back up to my top weight in Jan. 2015! I lost only 10lbs. after the next 6 months. We then made a move cross country, joined a gym, started being consistent, my husband and I keeping each other accountable and being workout buddies together.

I joined mfp Jan. 2016 after I had dropped about 10 lbs.. The tools were great to log calories and exercise and I really became more aware of what and how much I was eating. I have lost a total of 28 lbs. since Jan. 2015 and 3 sizes while also building muscle, getting completely off my bp med for 5 weeks, and ankle/feet swelling and body aches are gone. I am 48 yrs. but feel and look like I am in my 30's!

After awhile, I started realizing that sometimes your body needs more or less calories than what you have stated as your goal depending on your activity for that day. I went back to the idea of listening to your body's natural signals. I am losing better than when counting calories and don't let myself get ravenous, just feel hunger before eating and stop when satisfied. If you are having trouble or getting discouraged, you may want to try this method.

So...my observations after a lifetime of battling the bulge: 1. BECOME RESOLVED 2. STAY MOTIVATED/GET SUPPORT 3. EXERCISE EVERY DAY 4. EAT WHEN PHYSICALLY HUNGRY 5. EAT LOWER (not no) CARB AND FAT and HIGHER PROTEIN NATURAL UNPROCESSED FOODS 6. MAKE YOUR HEALTH A PRIORITY 7. GET ENOUGH SLEEP 8. DRINK MORE WATER THAN YOU THINK YOU NEED 9. GET OUT IN THE SUNSHINE 10. MAKE NO EXCUSES

Replies