Carbs

Options
I'm having a really hard time keeping my carbs under my goal. Can I get some ideas on low carb snacks? What do you guys eat? Also wondering where I can find low carb noodles. I live in a very small town and our Walmart does not carry them. Help!

Replies

• DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I just don't keep carb-y foods in my house, that way I'm not tempted to snack on them. Also, I don't snack much. When I do, it's something high-protein because I have a high-protein macro set up. So I eat things like Oikos Triple Zero Greek Yogurt (tastes like ice cream and it's 15g protein per cup) or cottage cheese. The reason I don't snack much is because I eat low carb for my meals, too, and when you don't eat carbs, you don't crave them as much. It's eating carbs that makes you hungry for more. So most of my meals are low-carb, like tuna salad (tuna, mayo, relish, eggs) on low-carb bread (Healthy Life Flax bread), or a salmon salad (Gorton's microwaveable salmon, parmesan cheese, romaine lettuce, lite Caesar dressing, and a few croutons), or chicken and veggies, etc. These meals are so filling that I'm not tempted to snack often.

Do you have an Amazon account? Look up "Carba Nada" noodles. Those are low carb egg noodles that are pretty good.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Low carb snacks: ham and cheese roll ups (no bread). Yogurt, ricotta cheese, or cottage cheese with chia seeds or sliced almonds, hard boiled eggs, crab sticks, cheese sticks, canned tuna.
  • akerra27
    akerra27 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    For me I stick with high protein. Carbs are my ultimate weakness eating high protein/fiber keeps me full to where I do not crave them. Hope this helps.

High protein: I do whey protein isolate everyday normally as lunch meal replacement and breakfast I normally pack it with eggs sometimes cheese or bacon bits (depends on my macros) dinner I do chicken steak (alot of steak lol) salmon is a good one (throw rosemary and lemon pepper on it) over brown rice. Then lots of veggies and fruits. Then snacks I stick with greek yogurt (14g of protein) almonds or sugar free jello.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You say nothing about what you carb (and cal) goal IS (and why). You won't normally have to buy special foods. A good idea to reduce carbs effortlessly, is to focus on getting in enough fat and protein.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Forget noodles! Eat meat, cheese, coconut oil, almond butter, Kerry Gold butter, pork skins, eggs, bacon....
  • MelissaWetzel2016
    MelissaWetzel2016 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1790. I've never really paid attention to carbs before but this app says I shouldn't go over 224 carbs. I've only been trying to lose weight for about a week now but a few of the days I have taken in 230 carbs.. I really only want to lose about 10 pounds. Thank you for the advice guys!
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1790. I've never really paid attention to carbs before but this app says I shouldn't go over 224 carbs. I've only been trying to lose weight for about a week now but a few of the days I have taken in 230 carbs.. I really only want to lose about 10 pounds. Thank you for the advice guys!

230 is really close to 224. Don't get wrapped up in trying to be exactly on-point with your macros. They are a guideline to give you a balance to work for you. As long as you get enough protein (at least 46 g per day for non-pregnant, non-lactating females) and fat (at least 30 g per day), you are good to go. Dietary Reference Intakes: Macronutrients

You can shift around the macro percentages to better fit your actual way of eating. For weight loss, the most important thing to watch is your overall calorie balance to make sure you are in a deficit.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Options
    230 carbs will keep you fat for sure! There are many good books that explain this. All of them recommend staying below 100 grams/day to maintain fat-burning.
  • MelissaWetzel2016
    Options
    Okay thank you!
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options

Since you're not doing low carb/keto anyway, you can eat over the 224 carb goal just fine. If you meet your minimum fat and protein requirements, it's ok to go all-out on carbs. It might even be good for you!
  • MelissaWetzel2016
    Options
    Awesome, thank you!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Options
    Keep carbs below 100/day. 230 is deep in the fat storage zone. :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You can do voodles. Cut up carrots or zucchini or just about any veggies into thin strips or use one of the spiral thingy things and top with your favorite sauce.
  • shanae091892
    shanae091892 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Deviled eggs, chicken salad, tuna salad buffalo wings
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    String cheese, almonds, boiled eggs, Apple w pnut butter, carrots with laughing cow cheese,
    Cottage cheese w raisins.