Protein Powder

Options
flrancho
flrancho Posts: 271 Member
I'm going to be doing body recomp to loose fat and gain muscle. I've found it hard to hit my protein goal on my normal diet and was considering adding in protein bars or protein powder.

The powder seems higher in protein, and I've heard some people say it tastes bad (I was initially just going to mix mine in water). What do you all that use protein powder mix it in?

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I've experimented with several protein powders and to be honest they all taste (to me) poor when mixed in water. In milk they taste so much better.

Many people swear by protein bars but I think they taste like a mouthful of artificially sweetened sand.

Some tips for protein powders:

Blended with milk and frozen berries gives a nice thick milkshake
    You can add to yoghurt to make a kind of pudding.
    The Beltsander brownie is a staple in our house

You don't need protein powders - many people could hit their requirements without (although they are relatively cheap and do make life a little easier).
  • Helloidentitycrisis
    Helloidentitycrisis Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    natures%20plus%20fruitein%20greens.jpg

I will only mix this brand with water usually (often birch sap-water) because most protein shakes make me gag when mixed with water!

NAP-45863-3.jpg

Everything else is usually best with milk or greek yoghurt!
  • HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I have my protein powder in my porridge with frozen berries and almond milk. It's really delicious.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above - they taste nasty mixed with water. I mix mine with 1/2 c milk and a container of Greek yogurt (whatever flavor). Occasionally I'll add in something like pumpkin (mmm, that was good) or a little cinnamon.

I have yet to make a hot protein supplement meal that I really like (like protein pancakes, or muffins, or adding it into something).
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I get a "chocolate" flavoured one called Progress Whey Protein powder and just use water. I don't find that its a bad taste, though I hear that powders with no added flavour taste bad but you can add them to other things without altering the taste of what you are mixing them with.
  • dogs_n_wine
    dogs_n_wine Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This is what I use. It's low calorie/low carb and has great taste! I mix mine with water to keep my calories down. I just make it a bit more concentrated. Try the double cocolate! It has really helped me hit my protein goal each day! p7f90qjar6vv.jpeg
    1wpfibwo3zas.jpeg
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've experimented with several protein powders and to be honest they all taste (to me) poor when mixed in water. In milk they taste so much better.

Many people swear by protein bars but I think they taste like a mouthful of artificially sweetened sand.

Some tips for protein powders:

Blended with milk and frozen berries gives a nice thick milkshake
    You can add to yoghurt to make a kind of pudding.
    The Beltsander brownie is a staple in our house

You don't need protein powders - many people could hit their requirements without (although they are relatively cheap and do make life a little easier).

Yup mix with skim milk
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Best tasting by far is NOW Sports Natural Unflavored Whey Isolate. Add Blueberries & Stevia if needed.
  • flrancho
    Options
    Would it be ok mixed with almond milk?

I've never really been much of a milk person, I've never really cared for it.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yep, no problem. But bear in mind, most protein powders are based on the milk product whey. If you avoid cow's milk because you don't like the taste this will not be an issue. if however, you have adverse reactions to cow's milk you may have similar reactions to whey based protein powders, and would be better finding a non-dairy version (such as pea-protein).
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    flrancho wrote: »

I'm not a fan of milk, either, and I haven't found a protein powder I can drink with straight water. I always use almond milk with protein powder (I am a vanilla person). I also tend to use more liquid called for if I'm drinking it just as a protein shake - I don't like it super-thick.

I often add a scoop of protein to a smoothie - almond milk, some fruit, and spinach or kale. I also like a scoop mixed in a bowl of pre-made quinoa with some almond milk and a handful of berries popped into the microwave long enough to warm everything through.
  • mrduckmd1
    mrduckmd1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like the vanilla flavor Premier Protein. It's premixed, tastes great and has 30 grams of protein. I buy the case of 18 pack from Costco for around $25.
  • chloe_haynesxx
    chloe_haynesxx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I buy a protein powder which is a banana and strawberry flavour. I mix it with half milk/half water to try and balance low calorie/taste, and blend in some fruit (usually either banana or strawberries to match the flavour) and it tastes just like a milkshake or smoothie! Super easy and super tasty.
  • flrancho
    Options
    How does the pea protein taste? I try to avoid hormones when I can due to endometriosis and a hepactic adenoma - so ideally avoiding the dairy all together would be better.
  • GymRatSF
    GymRatSF Posts: 8,903 Member
    Options

Yes. That is what I mix mine with.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    This is what I use. It's low calorie/low carb and has great taste! I mix mine with water to keep my calories down. I just make it a bit more concentrated. Try the double cocolate! It has really helped me hit my protein goal each day! p7f90qjar6vv.jpeg
    1wpfibwo3zas.jpeg

I use this same brand, but the rocky road flavor. Love it and it definitely helps me reach my goals. I believe all the nutrition facts are pretty much the same for mine as well. The 120 cal and 24 g of protein are definitely the same.

I mix mine with 8 oz of original unsweetened almond milk (30 calories) and it tastes great. I simply cannot mix ON whey isolate with water. It is the most god awful thing.

• sarahkanzalone
    sarahkanzalone Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I just got Isopure zero carb protein powder the cookies and cream flavor. I have mixed it with water and think it tastes good. I went with this one because it is lactose free. I have also mixed it with almond milk and like the taste.

I also dislike milk but feel like this tastes more like melted ice cream than milk. It's not low cal but it helps me meet protein goals and fills me up so I just fit it in too daily cal intake. It is sugar free if that's an issue for you