63 pounds down but...

Options
Ok, so I have lost 63 pounds so far. My goal is to lose another 37 pounds by November (My 100 pound lost mark) ,and 50 pounds by Christmas. I am needing as much motivation as possible. I have been obese all my life...from day one. I remember being 150 something pounds in 2nd or 3rd grade, and to get down to 170 or 180 as an adult seems unreal! I have no idea what I will look like. It so neat to think about, but kind of scary too. I am looking forward to the future, but I have no clue on what kind of changes I am going to experience. I am scared to see how different I may be treated by people...especially the people I know, family and friends! I hope my experience is good, but I am scared to find out who my real friends are, who actually support me, or who might get jealous. I also am scared to find out who will think different of me if I just act more confident and think I'm become cocky or something.

What do you all think? Am I just worried over nothing?

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My bf said something very similar the other day as his fear of losing weight.

"I'm afraid I'll become an a**hole" "Being overweight is what made me a nice person"

I told him all this was irrational and he will always be a sweet loving person because that is who he is deep down. <3

It is true, you'll get a great gift, finding out who your real friends are and get the toxic relatives out of your life for good.
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I can absolutely relate to your fears. I've been a big girl most of my life, and I have been overweight for far longer than I haven't been. I have no idea what being at a healthy weight will look or feel like and facing the huge unknown is definitely scary and has certainly held me back.

What I would suggest is acknowledge the fear, you're not crazy for being apprehensive about something new and unfamiliar. But at the same time, don't let that fear hold you back, just move through it. What you want for yourself and your life is far more important, and also more important than what anyone else could think about you or how they might treat you differently. They might, they might not. But I guarantee you that if they do, it's not about you it's about them, so it's not something you need to worry about in the long run.

Do you, own your achievements and goals (because wtf 63 lbs?! AWESOME! You're my new inspiriation!), and keep on pushing :)
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Depending on how you define being a good person, there might be some truth to be found. I've found that as I've felt better about myself, I've become less inclined to tolerate certain things. If you're used to being a punching bag, there's risk involved.
  • vezz99
    vezz99 Posts: 3
    Options
    You're doing this for you (or you should be, anyway.) If people can't appreciate that, well - screw 'em. You are going to find out who your real friends are at some point anyway, so if nothing else, this is saving you the time wasted in getting there. :)
  • hep26000
    hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Great job on the 63lb loss. That is amazing. Keep going.
    Try not to be consumed with fear. Part of life is stepping outside of your comfort level and the people that can do that well usually accomplish more in life than the ones that are too afraid to do anything about it. Get out there, make some new friends that enjoy a healthier lifestyle and have things in common with you. Better to find out now who your real friends are than wait down the road and find out anyway.
    Good luck with your goal. You can do it! :wink:
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss! That's a lot to lose. (:

I'm in the same boat as you. Never skinny my entire life, and I don't know what it's going to feel like to be that way, if it's really any different. I'm honestly afraid of being "them" - the skinny people. It's like an enigma.
  • Laroka
    Laroka Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks, you all have made me feel better.