Calories vs calories out

Options
If my BMR is 2690 and I'm consuming 1200-1500 calories a day. Working out 5-6 days a week burning almost 250 extra calories. Why am I not shedding a pound?????

Replies

• KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Either your BMR isn't 2690 or/and you are not eating 1200-1500 kcal a day... How tall are you, what do you weigh? What is your activity level? And about food, do you log everything? Do you use scale? How long have you not lost any weight?
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Either your BMR isn't 2690 or/and you are not eating 1200-1500 kcal a day... How tall are you, what do you weigh? What is your activity level? And about food, do you log everything? Do you use scale? How long have you not lost any weight?

This ^^^
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh solids? - you may be eating more than you think you are
    Do you measure liquids? - you may be eating more than you think you are
    How are you calculating cals burned?
    what are your stats that you get a BMR of 2690? - you may have overestimated this number, BF% would play a role in your real BMR.
    How long have you not lost weight?
    Are you new to exercise? - you could be retaining water due to this masking fat loss on the scale.
    Have you had your thyroid checked?
  • downa100
    downa100 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

I do measure everything and log everything. I use a digital scale. I am 5'7, weigh 214, haven't lost weight for almost a year. Lost 85lbs when I first started, gained 14 lbs in January. I work out 5-6 days a week
  • erickirb
    Options
    downa100 wrote: »

I do measure everything and log everything. I use a digital scale. I am 5'7, weigh 214, haven't lost weight for almost a year. Lost 85lbs when I first started, gained 14 lbs in January. I work out 5-6 days a week

Get blood work done, you may have a thyroid issue if eating so little and not losing, though at your stats no way is your BMR 2690, maybe your TDEE is 2690, meaning eating less than that you should lose.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    Options
    BMR of 2690 seems way way too high for your stats. Are you using same BMR as you had before losing initial 85 lbs?
    What is your age and gender? No matter what I put in in the calculator for age and gender with your weight and height result isn't above 2100.
  • downa100
    Options
    I actually never looked into it before. I decided to do it today to see what I might be doing wrong. I am 34 year old female. I used an online calculator.
  • downa100
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Get blood work done, you may have a thyroid issue if eating so little and not losing, though at your stats no way is your BMR 2690, maybe your TDEE is 2690, meaning eating less than that you should lose.

I do have a thyroid problem that had been under control since 1998. I am on medication for that. The calculator I used said BMR. What is TDEE?
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I actually never looked into it before. I decided to do it today to see what I might be doing wrong. I am 34 year old female. I used an online calculator.

I calculated your BMR just now and it is 1741. That is your problem. TDEE is a different value that takes into account your activity...while BMR is just what you need for existing.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/
    http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Also if your thyroid function is under control it wouldn't effect weight loss at this point.
  • downa100
    Options
    x09lftzmdls5.png
  • downa100
    Options

I calculated your BMR just now and it is 1741. That is your problem. TDEE is a different value that takes into account your activity...while BMR is just what you need for existing.

Also if your thyroid function is under control it wouldn't effect weight loss at this point.

Thank you so much. I should probably lower my calories to 800-1000 then!
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So what you should be doing for 1 lbs loss/week is eat about 1500 kcal/ day which is about 500 deficit a day (calculated your TDEE at about 2000) and on top of that if you exercise eat half of those calories back.
  • downa100
    Options
    So what you should be doing for 1 lbs loss/week is eat about 1500 kcal/ day which is about 500 deficit a day (calculated your TDEE at about 2000) and on top of that if you exercise eat half of those calories back.

Perfect thank you
  • erickirb
    Options
    x09lftzmdls5.png

That is your TDEE, TDEE is total daily energy expenditure. It is BMR + daily activity + exercise.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    Options
    And even this TDEE would be for moderately active with the stats... It is best for OP probably to keep sedentary as baseline and eat back exercise calories.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    Options

Perfect thank you

You are welcome...try this for a couple of weeks and see results, if weight loss is too fast and you feel like you are not eating enough than up calories by little and try that for a while. But I think this will be a good way for you. Wish you all the best.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options

NOOOOO. That is not healthy. In fact, eating between 1200 and 1500 and burning 250 means you net 950 to 1250--that is not healthy either. You should be netting at least 1200 calories.

This assumes your calorie estimates are accurate. As you are not losing and not burning that many calories, you are likely not counting your food calories accurately. Please open your diary if you want more help.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »

NOOOOO. That is not healthy. In fact, eating between 1200 and 1500 and burning 250 means you net 950 to 1250--that is not healthy either. You should be netting at least 1200 calories.

This assumes your calorie estimates are accurate. As you are not losing and not burning that many calories, you are likely not counting your food calories accurately. Please open your diary if you want more help.

Nuke OP will eat 1500+exercise calories now. I think you misunderstood sth. :)