My 600 lb. Life

Options
13»

Replies

• Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I really like the show. Sometimes it makes me really sad. There was one episode awhile ago that really shocked me because I sawe a lot of myself in the woman shown.
  • RainDrops930
    RainDrops930 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Love that show! I've never been morbidly obese, but I have been overweight, and I constantly struggle with food addiction. It makes me happy to see people taking control of their lives and really trying to change.

I particularly like Melissa and Zsalynn, they were very inspirational. I agree that Penny's story made me sad and a bit angry. Even her son was not enough to motivate her. I think a mental health professional is definitely what she needs, because her lack of motivation is really a front for something much deeper. However, *most* people on that show end up losing weight, and that is great to see.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I saw Lupe's show last night. I really don't like her husband. He didn't seem to care he was caught or be embarrassed about it.

In the beginning she said he couldn't work because he was her caregiver, but what about while she was spending so much time in the hospital? They came across quite poor and maybe him working temporarily messes up their welfare. I don't know. I would never want to see her lose help before she can help herself.

I had mixed feelings about last night. I just hope she is still making progress
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I'm going to repeat what I said in this thread back in February:
    In my opinion, it's a modern-day freakshow. I don't mean that to be unkind to the people involved in it, but that's the purpose of the people who make and produce these kinds of reality TV.

In today's freakshows you're not supposed to gape like yokels at the people on exhibit. That's so early 20th century. Instead you're supposed to be moved to pity, or outrage, or whatever emotion the producers wish to foster.

In my opinion, of course.
  • strelitzia4
    strelitzia4 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    Are these people on welfare? It's rare that we see someone going to work. If I were in the bed, there's no one to feed me. They are all at work or school. That's the part I don't understand. Lupe's husband seemed capable of holding a job.

Most of them are disabled and get SSI. I believe obesity counts as a disability when the person is unable to handle everyday tasks like taking care of themselves.
    The show stated that the husband didn't work hecause he was a full-time caregiver.