Not using machines properly

Options
I've recently started weight lifting, and as a girl, it's really hard to get into the weight room. I feel intimidated by a lot of the people there. This morning, I decided to approach the squat rack for the first time. Like the idiot that I am, I was standing the opposite direction... and no one said anything, but I got some interesting looks lol. Now I am extremely self-conscious to go back. Does everyone experience some sort of learning curve where they end up looking retarded? Should I hire a personal trainer?

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    If you would feel more comfortable using a trainer than by all means do so. Everyone was a newbie at the gym at some point in their life. Maybe check out some online videos to get a better idea of what the exercises should look life?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I've recently started weight lifting, and as a girl, it's really hard to get into the weight room. I feel intimidated by a lot of the people there. This morning, I decided to approach the squat rack for the first time. Like the idiot that I am, I was standing the opposite direction... and no one said anything, but I got some interesting looks lol. Now I am extremely self-conscious to go back. Does everyone experience some sort of learning curve where they end up looking retarded? Should I hire a personal trainer?
    There is no wrong way to stand in the squat rack. It's a matter of preference.
    Hiring a trainer is actually a good way to start. I get many people who get only a couple of sessions to get correct information on exercise and execution of it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png