Running socks?

Options
pondee629
pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
Since 1969 I have been running, first in grade school then High School, College and U.S.M.C., with old style cotton/polyester blend socks. Went to a Running Store for new shoes (same price as the best price off Amazon) and the sales person asked if I used cotton socks. When I said yes, he asked if I got blisters. The reply? Not anything to notice in the past 40+ years. Am I missing something?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Some people are blister-prone and others aren't. I have no problem running in cotton socks either. My brother, on the other hand, buys fancy socks because he tends to get terrible blisters otherwise.

If it isn't broken . . .
  • NovaDuck
    NovaDuck Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Indeed, some people are more blister prone than others (softer skin I'm guessing). I am one of those people! I once wore the wrong socks and when I got home, took my shoe off, there was blood all over my sock (I didn't actually feel it otherwise though). :D
  • lynshady
    lynshady Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like running socks (Balegas are my first choice brand, kind of $$$ but worth it) over regular cotton ones - I have never gotten a blister from these and my feet can breathe in them.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The cotton socks just hold sweat and make socks less soft and more rigid (and zero support). I have sensitive feet, so running on insoles without a barrier (sure, there is a wet barrier, but it feels like there is no cushion at all) is killer. Sure, you could stop and wring them out every once in awhile, but it still keeps its rigidity and still causes problems. It is easier to wear either merino wool or a synthetic material.

ETA: Another point: Not just for socks, but as a hiker, I remember "cotton kills." Because cotton holds moisture, it greatly increases the risk of hypothermia.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    My issue with cotton aside from the gross sweaty factor is that they tend to stretch out and then you've got weird lumps and bumps and extra fabric rubbing. That will give me blisters faster than anything. I have little feet though so as it is women's socks are often a little too large.

I usually get kids' seamless ones in a wicking material, either synthetic or a merino blend.

But I'd say there's no need to switch if yours aren't bothering you.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have both good old sports socks & actual running socks and use both depending what's handiest. I'm one of the lucky ones that has never had a problem with blisters.

For winter running I love my merino wool socks for their light weight & warmth.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I don't like cotton socks because cotton in the winter time sucks, and cotton in the summer gives me swampy, stinky feet. But, I also don't pay $15/pair for a pair of running socks. Walmart has a 6 pack of smart wool running socks (Ankle type) for like $6. Target has decent prices on C9 running socks (Like, $8 for 2 pair). Most department stores carry some sort of specialized athletic socks.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i love my balegas.

pricey, but i love them lol
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I wear cotton t-shirts even though everyone informs me I should be chafing horribly or dealing with weird sweat/temperature issues. I do use running socks now and really like them because they don't slip down on me and seem to add a good cushion. But I say personal preference for everything, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Oh janejellyroll already said that :p
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with blisters, but cotton socks were rubbing the soles of my feet raw and getting sweat-soaked. I tried Balegas and am a believer now. As others have said, they're not cheap - but for me they're infinitely more comfortable than cotton socks.
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I like running socks that have an L and R on the toes. Makes life soooooo much easier for me! :D
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    My cotton socks are custom printed "T.G.I.F." Toes Go In First. ;-)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I like running socks that have an L and R on the toes. Makes life soooooo much easier for me! :D

My only pair of socks that matters which foot it goes on is contoured in a way that it is very easy to tell the left sock from the right sock.
  • pafmarwak
    pafmarwak Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    lynshady wrote: »
    I like running socks (Balegas are my first choice brand, kind of $$$ but worth it) over regular cotton ones - I have never gotten a blister from these and my feet can breathe in them.

Balegas are the bomb! I have several pair. They are the old style. I am not a fan of the new style Balegas.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    My cotton socks are custom printed "T.G.I.F." Toes Go In First. ;-)

Ha! It is only after a run that my brain forgets things like that :p
  • aashwill
    aashwill Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I never wear socks when I run (except when I had to in the Army), and I remove the insoles from my shoes when I buy them. For me, the best way to avoid blisters is to toughen my feet.

The socks running stores sell are probably an unnecessary expense. I try to support my local running store in other ways, though.
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thorlo cushioned socks are good for me with my mild plantar fasciitis.
  • ashleyminnich1
    ashleyminnich1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I laughed at this the last I I went in too! The woman insisted that socks were to blame for blisters. Really, because shoe fit has always made the difference for me! No, I'll wear my favorite kinds of cotton socks that I've been wearing since I was 14. They have served me well the last twenty years or so.